Bills sign Chase Claypool, Smoot, Jones

1 minute ago, Dr. Who said:

I guess he's worth a lottery ticket/reclamation project. The older I get, the more I think character is destiny. Reformation does occur, but it's relatively rare.

Having strong role models can make a difference. I'm not sure whose going to show him the way, but someone needs to.

I would be less upset about Beane bringing in this caliber of player if I did not believe there is a gaping hole in the WR room where the primadonna Diggs used to reside. Cap constraints/change in offensive philosophy, however you contextualize it, one has to guess Beane did not plan on trading Diggs and taking on a huge cap hit. What he's done since is reactive, and doesn't seem like a fully thought out plan. Maybe Beane brings someone in who is a more established, higher level player post 6/1, but I'm not confident that happens.

I don't like banking on volume from any of the folks in our WR room right now, and I'm personally not comfortable with the "just spread the targets around" strategy. I still think a dominant WR makes room on the field for others, and who is going to do that with what we have now? We don't have elite route runners, and I don't see a boundary WR who can take the top off, though we have a few fast fellas. Of course, you may luck into someone playing above their past, and maybe Shakir is ascending and will take over that role, but that seems overly optimistic to me.

Unless one is develop in house I dont think they go get another one.  They are putting alot into Coleman.  They feel he will be able to fit some of that role.  Shakir is ascending and will be larger factor than many expect.  He will be used liked Diggs not just a slot.  Either they look like geniuses or they seal their own fates. 

• Like (+1) 2

Claypool should call up cris Carter on how to resurrect his career.  Kid is only 25 so he’s gotta figure out how to get back to his form from the first couple years in the league. He’s got the talent size and speed so there is some hope he can get it together. Little risk lots of potential 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 3

I have to believe with Brady that Kincaid and Cook are going to be the focus passing and running.  Coleman fits a ball control passing game.  Claypool can play the Gabe Davis field stretcher part if he has his head right.  It's possible the loss of Big Ben and the arrival of Pickens cemented his demise in Pittsburg.  Not many WR's leave Chicago better than they arrived.  I'd have to hope he has more upside than Sherfield.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

I guess he's worth a lottery ticket/reclamation project. The older I get, the more I think character is destiny. Reformation does occur, but it's relatively rare.

Having strong role models can make a difference. I'm not sure whose going to show him the way, but someone needs to.

I would be less upset about Beane bringing in this caliber of player if I did not believe there is a gaping hole in the WR room where the primadonna Diggs used to reside. Cap constraints/change in offensive philosophy, however you contextualize it, one has to guess Beane did not plan on trading Diggs and taking on a huge cap hit. What he's done since is reactive, and doesn't seem like a fully thought out plan. Maybe Beane brings someone in who is a more established, higher level player post 6/1, but I'm not confident that happens.

I don't like banking on volume from any of the folks in our WR room right now, and I'm personally not comfortable with the "just spread the targets around" strategy. I still think a dominant WR makes room on the field for others, and who is going to do that with what we have now? We don't have elite route runners, and I don't see a boundary WR who can take the top off, though we have a few fast fellas. Of course, you may luck into someone playing above their past, and maybe Shakir is ascending and will take over that role, but that seems overly optimistic to me.

I think a major discourse over the Bills WR room this off season is simply differing preference on what people believe they "should" have and what we "could" have, so to speak.

People get locked into their thought process of having "fast" WRs, or at least one guy that's 6'4" or a dominant type guy. Nothing wrong with thinking any of that, of course. 

I think there are a lot of pluses to a more "spread the ball" philosophy as long as your QB is good at identifying mismatches and exploit them. Yes, a WR like Diggs has been in the past is a huge plus. It does open things up. But during his time here we were very fortunate that he never missed time (aside from when he would pull himself out of games, of course) and left a vacuum of targets unaccounted for. 

I also am of the thought that with guys like that, you have to get them their targets. And sometimes that leads to tunnel vision and comes at the cost of lost downs. I'm really interested in seeing what this group can be. We have some mismatches on the field. We need Allen to find those. Now, should they bring in a "big name" Alpha type guy, so be it. But I'm good with what we have right now. We will move the ball.

• Like (+1) 2

Posted (edited)
On 5/3/2024 at 10:49 AM, zevo said:

The board will be pleased with his combine 40 time 🙄

Look at the man impressive physical stats.... yet look at his results so far in the league. Fans put waaaaay too much stock in draft picks and physical attributes.

Oh I still like this signing. IF he came in cheap, there's basically only upsides or you fire him. A QB like JA17 can surely restart some of these WRs. Yet we saw what happened with Harty and Sherfield last year... Hopefully, he performs big.

Edited by Jerome007

30 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I think a major discourse over the Bills WR room this off season is simply differing preference on what people believe they "should" have and what we "could" have, so to speak.

People get locked into their thought process of having "fast" WRs, or at least one guy that's 6'4" or a dominant type guy. Nothing wrong with thinking any of that, of course. 

I think there are a lot of pluses to a more "spread the ball" philosophy as long as your QB is good at identifying mismatches and exploit them. Yes, a WR like Diggs has been in the past is a huge plus. It does open things up. But during his time here we were very fortunate that he never missed time (aside from when he would pull himself out of games, of course) and left a vacuum of targets unaccounted for. 

I also am of the thought that with guys like that, you have to get them their targets. And sometimes that leads to tunnel vision and comes at the cost of lost downs. I'm really interested in seeing what this group can be. We have some mismatches on the field. We need Allen to find those. Now, should they bring in a "big name" Alpha type guy, so be it. But I'm good with what we have right now. We will move the ball.

The offense functioned better when Allen wasnt force feeding Diggs targets.  Shakir and Samuel function in the manner the offense has had success with.  Coleman adds a dimension outside they have not had since Benjamin.  Slants, Skinny post and fade routes.  I think Coleman puts up numbers on par or better than Gabe out of the box. Thats 80 targets Davis left behind and expect Coleman recieves most if not all.   Diggs 160 targets are getting split up between Shakir, Samuel and Kincaid.  I expect Shakir to go from 45 targets up to 90 and Kincaid from 90 to 110.  That leaves 80 to 90 targets to Samuel.  Biggest question mark is Shakir getting more touches.  If you take his production down the stretch I think he was already operating close to this volume.  Overall not crazy.  

• Like (+1) 5
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, aristocrat said:

Claypool should call up cris Carter on how to resurrect his career.  Kid is only 25 so he’s gotta figure out how to get back to his form from the first couple years in the league. He’s got the talent size and speed so there is some hope he can get it together. Little risk lots of potential 

Carter was an alcoholic.   Quitting the booze was the key to turning his career around,  not trying harder.   I haven't heard anything like that about Claypool.   I think apathy is his issue.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1

22 hours ago, McBean said:

got our new #1 WR and a stud LB.

What’s not to like?

Great job fam.

IDK about the stud LB because of his age and injury history , but our new WR is only 25 years old unlike Chicago or especially Miami is coming into a situation we’re he has a chance to win a starting # 3WR job , he  has a legitimate franchise QB and we know he’s got the talent and all the tools  , and I’m sure he knows that this could be his last opportunity so I’ll wait and see what happens ,

but you’ll can go ahead LOL 

2 hours ago, Mat68 said:

The offense functioned better when Allen wasnt force feeding Diggs targets.  Shakir and Samuel function in the manner the offense has had success with.  Coleman adds a dimension outside they have not had since Benjamin.  Slants, Skinny post and fade routes.  I think Coleman puts up numbers on par or better than Gabe out of the box. Thats 80 targets Davis left behind and expect Coleman recieves most if not all.   Diggs 160 targets are getting split up between Shakir, Samuel and Kincaid.  I expect Shakir to go from 45 targets up to 90 and Kincaid from 90 to 110.  That leaves 80 to 90 targets to Samuel.  Biggest question mark is Shakir getting more touches.  If you take his production down the stretch I think he was already operating close to this volume.  Overall not crazy.  

Do you think Cook will see more targets then last year ? 

• Like (+1) 3

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Carter was an alcoholic.   Quitting the booze was the key to turning his career around,  not trying harder.   I haven't heard anything like that about Claypool.   I think apathy is his issue.

I think Claypool is in the best situation to make a comeback if he doesn’t make it here im pretty sure he can kiss his NFL career goodbye 

Edited by Putin
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Putin said:

IDK about the stud LB because of his age and injury history , but our new WR is only 25 years old unlike Chicago or especially Miami is coming into a situation we’re he has a chance to win a starting # 3WR job , he  has a legitimate franchise QB and we know he’s got the talent and all the tools  , and I’m sure he knows that this could be his last opportunity so I’ll wait and see what happens ,

but you’ll can go ahead LOL 

Do you think Cook will see more targets then last year ? 

I do.  I think he is part of the offense.  Shakir, Cook and Kincaid see larger shares of the passing attack.  Cook was the best player on offense not named Allen for the most part.  Cook in a Kamara style role.  Brady comes from NO under Payton.  He also utilzed Edwards Helaire in LSU.  There are plenty of targets to go around and enough guys to pick up the slack if someone does handle the volume.  

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

I really like the potential of Claypool working out for us.  He’ll want $$$$ and he likely has realized this is his last stop in the NFL with a real chance of playing a meaningful role

If he’s a changed man in some aspects,

he could certainly win a top 4 WR role here

possibly even one of the primary boundary starters opposite Coleman

The Steelers offense was a mess when he left there, the Bears were a joke and Miami wasn’t taking Hill or Waddle out for him.

He MAY have the most pure talent in our WR room.  

Edited by Warriorspikes51
  • Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I really like the potential of Claypool working out for us.  He’ll want $$$$ and he likely has realized this is his last stop in the NFL with a real chance of playing a meaningful role

If he’s a changed man in some aspects,

he could certainly win a top 4 WR role here

possibly even one of the primary boundary starters opposite Coleman

The Steelers offense was a mess when he left there, the Bears were a joke and Miami wasn’t taking Hill or Waddle out for him.

He MAY have the most pure talent in our WR room.  

Yeah..........people always figure that the "last chance" stuff must be a motivator.  

But really?  Nah. 

I think more often than not a player who strings together a lot of thoroughly disinterested play like Claypool has is just trying to squeeze out one more million dollar pay day......exert himself as little as possible while doing it........while also accruing yet another year in the pension benefit calculation.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 5/3/2024 at 5:51 PM, Ben said:

Worth a shot right? Guys got all the talent in the world but has been immature. Maybe he's grown up some and been humbled?

He needs to be converted to TE! He can possibly be the next Darren Waller if he works hard enough.

22 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

True. But he got his career back on track. Carter was the best example of turning his career around that I could think of. 

• Like (+1) 2

42 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

True. But he got his career back on track. Carter was the best example of turning his career around that I could think of. 

Eric Moulds.

He didn't start out as well as Claypool did........but he spent his first couple seasons slapping women around,  dodging child support claims and just being a general unfocused idiot until he decided to put his foot in the ground and make himself into something as a professional.    

• Like (+1) 3

29 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Eric Moulds.

He didn't start out as well as Claypool did........but he spent his first couple seasons slapping women around,  dodging child support claims and just being a general unfocused idiot until he decided to put his foot in the ground and make himself into something as a professional.    

Good example. Would be real nice if we hit the lotto once on a reclamation project 

• Agree 3

8 hours ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

He needs to be converted to TE! He can possibly be the next Darren Waller if he works hard enough.

Yes because Claypool  proved to be  a very dedicated blocker in the passing game ? 

• Haha (+1) 1

On 5/3/2024 at 11:21 AM, BuffaloBillyG said:

Claypool is such a conundrum. He has skills. Flashed them in Pittsburgh from time to time. Showed them in college. I just don't think the dude likes football as much as he likes the paychecks from playing football. It's been said for a few years now about him, but it remains true. If someone could help get his head on straight he could be good. Unfortunately, I'm not sure that happens here. 

I'm thinking he's closer to being cut before preseason game 2 than he is making the roster. We shall see.

Couldn't agree more.  Guys like him have the talent, but don't really love the game.  I imagine at some point it stopped being fun for them.  

I think they get burnt out from the grind from Pop Warner to now.

• Like (+1) 2