The Vikings allegedly tried hard to trade up to #3

Virgil

2 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

McCarthy is extremely smooth at the mesh point.  No other QB in this draft class comes close.

I guess if O’Connell can build an offense that utilizes that action to great effect, he’s got the right guy. The thing that McCarthy also has going for him, which I already mentioned is his mindset. He’s focused on that very extensively which I respect a lot.

PS I love your username and Picart! Funny as hell

7 minutes ago, Buckets said:

Why should I care

Do you mean about this topic or more generally like about life and stuff?

Not that I have a good answer for either, I’m just curious. 😂 

13 minutes ago, Buckets said:

Why should I care

You cared enough to read the title, open the thread, and response.  

So, you tell me

• Like (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
On 4/30/2024 at 1:08 PM, Sweats said:

In my opinion, Maye was the best QB to target in this draft and i don't like that he's in the AFCEast.........he's got some mechanics and footwork issues to work on, but he has the most upside IMO.

I don't blame NE for wanting to stand pat and get this guy.

Maye has way more to correct then Caleb Williams... Including a not perfect release and playing weaker in the pocket despite giving 20 lb to Caleb... 

There's a reason why the 6'2 220 lb quarterback went over the 6'4 235 lb guy 

The bigger guy has the look...  But his faults do not bode well to the NFL unless he corrects a lot... Including a longer release, struggles under pressure and times gets lost with his reads 

Caleb Williams can go from his first to his fourth read.. is the strongest in the pocket in the draft..  super super plus arm with velocity and is a better athlete

Maye didn't take the step this year that I thought he would... He's also very young and raw... He's a guy that is going to take 3 years but he does have a lot of talent

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, HOUSE said:

I offered Walmart $9 for a display coffee maker

no deal

“Shoulda offered $10. Plus thrown in some old used sneakers. Then you would have got it for sure. You really need to reevaluate your shopping philosophy. SMH”- NFL Draft Fans

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Lol, that isn’t me!! That guy had NO business playing at OSU. 

McCord… he had a good high school career but if he hadn’t played with MHJ I highly doubt OSU would have offered him, 1) because he wouldn’t have had as good of stats, and 2) because I think OSU really wanted to land MHJ and taking his buddy helped.

• Like (+1) 1

It's like I said leading up to the Draft. Everyone was talking about all these packages to trade up and get Harrison or Nabers, as if it were as simple as just meeting the chart figures and it's a done deal.

When it came to those top picks, no one was going to give up the kind of talents that they took without an INSANE overpay. And this just goes to show, even with an insane overpay - they STILL turned it down.

We couldn't even touch the kind of offer Minnesota put forth. And it still wasn't enough. 

6 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Agree to disagree I guess

I don’t think that he’s very good. He won a lot on a team that almost broke the record for most drafted players in a single draft. They had 13 guys selected (UGA has the record at 15). The team was loaded. They won with him WAY more than because of him. In the right situation, maybe he becomes an effective game manager (like Brock Purdy). Personally, I think that he was overdrafted as an over correction to Purdy falling to last. 

All good here.  Entirely reasonable for two fans to see a player differently.  Go Bills!

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Maye has way more to correct then Caleb Williams... Including a not perfect release and playing weaker in the pocket despite giving 20 lb to Caleb... 

The bigger guy has the look...  But his faults do not bode well to the NFL unless he corrects a lot... Including a longer release, struggles under pressure and times gets lost with his reads 

Caleb Williams can go from his first to his fourth read.. is the strongest in the pocket in the draft..  super super plus arm with velocity and is a better athlete

Maye didn't take the step this year that I thought he would... He's also very young and raw... He's a guy that is going to take 3 years but he does have a lot of talent

I'm not an expert on QB play, but I either read or heard on a radio show that Williams ran the Lincoln Riley offense in college where he only had to read half of the field.  If that's true, it doesn't seem to make sense that he's be going through his progressions to his fourth read.  I'm not pontificating, I'm really more asking, as it seems like you are more knowledgeable than I am in this area.

For what it's worth, I have a suspicion that Williams might be a bust.  My reasons are the following:

1.  Assuming what I heard is true about only needing to read half the field in college, the NFL will be very difficult for him.

2. Williams seems a bit like an entitled "me-first" type of guy.  I recall comments he made at some point about demanding a percentage of ownership from whatever team drafts him.  Is he going to humble and put in the work?  Will he be another Kyler Murray (who is much smaller, but also came from the Lincoln Riley system).  Murry has athleticism and talent, but has not been a winner in the NFL.  Murray also went #1 overall.  As did Baker Mayfield, yet another Lincoln Riley product who has been solid in the NFL, at times, but has not risen to the superstar level that you'd want from a #1 overall pick.  He's on his 4th team now.

3. His play did not improve from his junior to his senior year at USC.  He regressed.

4. While USC had some horrid defense, Williams was not able to elevate his team to overcome it.  USC as a team regressed from 8-3 in 2022 to 8-5 in 2023.  Losing 8 games in two seasons with a roster that talented raises some red flags.

I could be completely wrong.  Hey, I thought Josh Rosen would be a good NFL QB and that CJ Stroud would not be, so I'm certainly not holding myself out to know more than anyone else.  

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, msw2112 said:

I'm not an expert on QB play, but I either read or heard on a radio show that Williams ran the Lincoln Riley offense in college where he only had to read half of the field.  If that's true, it doesn't seem to make sense that he's be going through his progressions to his fourth read.  I'm not pontificating, I'm really more asking, as it seems like you are more knowledgeable than I am in this area.

For what it's worth, I have a suspicion that Williams might be a bust.  My reasons are the following:

1.  Assuming what I heard is true about only needing to read half the field in college, the NFL will be very difficult for him.

2. Williams seems a bit like an entitled "me-first" type of guy.  I recall comments he made at some point about demanding a percentage of ownership from whatever team drafts him.  Is he going to humble and put in the work?  Will he be another Kyler Murray (who is much smaller, but also came from the Lincoln Riley system).  Murry has athleticism and talent, but has not been a winner in the NFL.  Murray also went #1 overall.  As did Baker Mayfield, yet another Lincoln Riley product who has been solid in the NFL, at times, but has not risen to the superstar level that you'd want from a #1 overall pick.  He's on his 4th team now.

3. His play did not improve from his junior to his senior year at USC.  He regressed.

4. While USC had some horrid defense, Williams was not able to elevate his team to overcome it.  USC as a team regressed from 8-3 in 2022 to 8-5 in 2023.  Losing 8 games in two seasons with a roster that talented raises some red flags.

I could be completely wrong.  Hey, I thought Josh Rosen would be a good NFL QB and that CJ Stroud would not be, so I'm certainly not holding myself out to know more than anyone else.  

First of all I have watched every single game of Caleb Williams career including seeing him live in high school and live in college 

USC is not as talented as you made it out.. without him they would struggle to win for games it's not the same USC of old 

You say he regressed from his Junior to senior year but he's only been in college three seasons... So the fact he lit the world on fire as a true sophomore... It's kind of hard to elevate your game when the team around you isn't elevating ... He is USC... No quarterback can elevate aTeam that gives up 38 a game 

I could have told you the second he walked on campus at Oklahoma that he would have been the number one overall pick and he certainly didn't read half the field in Lincoln Riley's offense... He has some faults like every Young quarterback 

But he is easily one of the more polished quarterbacks with came out in the last 10 15 years... Definitely ahead of guys like Baker Mayfield and Josh Rosen and Josh Allen and Justin fields and CJ Stroud 

That doesn't mean he's going to become the best player in the world but he is very advanced for his age and certainly the mold of the modern prototypical playmaking quarterback 

He also plays stronger than Drake maye

Edited by Buffalo716

I assume this leak must have come from the someone in the Patriots organization.  I never remember anything like this when Bellichek was in charge.

Definitely a sign of a poorly run organization if these types of leaks continue (see Whaley, Doug).  

On 4/30/2024 at 12:18 PM, billsfan89 said:

The moment the Vikings swapped their 42nd pick plus next years 2nd to get pick 23 you knew they were making moves for a possible trade up to pick 3. I think it was clear they were looking to package 11 and 23 to go up. Fortunately for them they were able to land a decent QB prospect without such a massive trade up.

NE clearly despite the good offer did not want to pass on Maye or whomever would be their pick at 3 had Maye gone 2nd. 

Tried to pull a Beane with the double move up to get Allen...just didn't end up working out for them tho.

On 5/1/2024 at 10:46 PM, Buffalo716 said:

I’m scared of Maye too, what you just said are the same things they said about Allen 

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Awwufelloff said:

I’m scared of Maye too, what you just said are the same things they said about Allen 

It's easy to compare them based on their height and weight 

They do not play the same 

Edited by Buffalo716