Bills pick up Groot's 5th year option

Virgil

18/32 first rounders in the 2021 draft had their 5th year option picked up. At 56% seeing that extra year and Groot being one of them, I’d say he has been about what you want from a “floor” stand point. Let’s see if he can turn it on and reach the ceiling. 

• Like (+1) 2

On 4/29/2024 at 12:33 PM, balln said:

But I thought the 5 year option was useless !? !?!??!?

It is and this is why.  You have to pay a guy 14M and his market value is lower than that.  If he blows up, you lose, if he sucks, you lose, if he gets hurt you lose.  You can’t control the cap hit through structure, you can’t negotiate to a market price without an extension.  It handcuffs you.   If you want the guy, sign an extension now when his value is low, if you don’t want him, move on.    He was far out produced by a guy they paid a one year under 10M deal last year and those guys are available every year.   5th year is fools gold and if you can’t tell the difference.. well you’re the fool.

• Disagree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

It is and this is why.  You have to pay a guy 14M and his market value is lower than that.  If he blows up, you lose, if he sucks, you lose, if he gets hurt you lose.  You can’t control the cap hit through structure, you can’t negotiate to a market price without an extension.  It handcuffs you.   If you want the guy, sign an extension now when his value is low, if you don’t want him, move on.    He was far out produced by a guy they paid a one year under 10M deal last year and those guys are available every year.   5th year is fools gold and if you can’t tell the difference.. well you’re the fool.

The 5th year option is not "cheap" if the player is not up to the caliber of the cost.

I agree with a lot you said in your post.

In Groot's situation, the 5th year option of $13M is not out of line one way or the other very much.

Being the Bills are light in talent on the DL next season (after they dump Von), it may work out.

Typically, the 5th year option is great for teams when the player is way over-achieving.  It gets them one cheaper year from what the

average will be on their new extension.  Other than that it could also have negative effects on other players, as you stated.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

The 5th year option is not "cheap" if the player is not up to the caliber of the cost.

I agree with a lot you said in your post.

In Groot's situation, the 5th year option of $13M is not out of line one way or the other very much.

Being the Bills are light in talent on the DL next season (after they dump Von), it may work out.

Typically, the 5th year option is great for teams when the player is way over-achieving.  It gets them one cheaper year from what the

average will be on their new extension.  Other than that it could also have negative effects on other players, as you stated.

The ONLY reason it was put in the CBA was to give teams a negotiating point.  For a QB, “we only have to pay you ~20M on the 5th year option, so to make this work for both of us, you need to consider that in your ask.”   With a guy like Groot who is worth maybe 10M a year, you just guaranteed him more than he’s worth at this time, essentially resetting your own negotiation floor if you wanted to extend him.    

I think this front office does a lot of things really well, but the egregious 5th year option usage proves they do not get the art of negotiation or cap management to the degree the fan boys here like to think they do.   The only player the Bills should have used it on was Allen and they obviously re-upped him before it was a point.  

Using it and not extending him was a major miss on Edmunds, I would argue it was a floor set point for Oliver, who was over paid for his output and sorry, not sorry, is not the big impact player people here want to believe either.   So twice it’s cost you more than it would have to extend a guy at the time and once it’s allowed him to price himself off the team, the other it allowed to increase their contract to more than it should have been. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, DCofNC said:

Then the majority of NFL teams are fools because 56% of them exercised the option this year.  It’s absolutely valuable.

12 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

18/32 first rounders in the 2021 draft had their 5th year option picked up. At 56% seeing that extra year and Groot being one of them, I’d say he has been about what you want from a “floor” stand point. Let’s see if he can turn it on and reach the ceiling. 

Ed Oliver "broke out" during his 5th year. I hope Groot can have a break out i n year 4. I think Groot has much like Ed played like an above average player at a premium position his first 3 years in the league but he hasn't played consistently at a high level thus far. I think given how "raw" Groot was coming out of college it is not hard to see why he's not made that huge impact right out the gate. Hopefully year 4 Groot clicks. 

5 hours ago, Billl said:

Then the majority of NFL teams are fools because 56% of them exercised the option this year.  It’s absolutely valuable.

Alot more than 56% of teams do foolish things during an NFL season.  Once Von is jettisoned after this season, we'll be left with AJE (3.7 sacks/yr) and Groot (5.6 sacks/ yr).  That's terrifying.....better hope Solomon blows up or BB uses some of that 25' cap on a pass rusher.

On 4/29/2024 at 12:19 PM, gonzo1105 said:

They don’t really have a choice tbh he’s earned an extra year but he needs to turn it on like Oliver did 

I wouldn’t count on it. I think Rousseau is what he is at this point. An average starter in this league w/ an ability to make big plays here & there. Even if he did turn it on, is it really worth paying a rotational player big money? Unless he becomes the 2nd coming of Reggie White, I think Beane lets him walk after the contract and drafts a guy high next year. I actually think AJE has more of a chance of becoming something. 

10 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Alot more than 56% of teams do foolish things during an NFL season.  Once Von is jettisoned after this season, we'll be left with AJE (3.7 sacks/yr) and Groot (5.6 sacks/ yr).  That's terrifying.....better hope Solomon blows up or BB uses some of that 25' cap on a pass rusher.

Is it really fair to bring up sack numbers for rotational players as your argument ? 

1 hour ago, Blackbeard said:

I think Greg is our best edge.  But i had a little higher expectation for him after being drafted.  

You guys think he's reached his ceiling?  

With the injuries and rotating door of players next to Oliver, it was tough for any DE to make an impact. If we have consistent pressure from the middle, I think we will see an excellent year from Rousseau and AJE. not sure yet how Von Miller will come back from injury 

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/29/2024 at 1:03 PM, billsbackto81 said:

Not mad. Not surprised. I like the guy really.

But, I can't be the only one who thinks his career thus far has been average at best.

He's been a better version of Epenesa, which BTW isn't exactly high praise. 

Many feel, as do I, that injuries have played a significant part in his career thus far. If anything, THAT’s the issue. When he’s healthy, he’s a force. Let’s hope he stays healthy.