New Bills WR. Former Lion Quintez Cephus

MAJBobby

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

Would you mind providing a linky to that, because it's nothing at all that I heard Beane say 

Correction, he said "at the beginning of the season", not "in year one", which I concede is a huge difference. Nevertheless, it likely means a few weeks of Mack Hollins as starter.

46 minutes ago, Pete said:

What I read was that Cephus had covid when he ran the 40.  He later ran a 4.52.  He is a fast twitch player with great numbers 40 yard dash, vertical, and bench.  Between Cephus, Coleman, Hollins, not to mention Shorter, Shavers, and Hamlin- they all are 6'2 and taller, strong, my ball, mismatches.  It seems to be the type of WR Beane likes

He loved Kelvin Benjamin too. While everyone gets faster, we get big, sluggish, late round fliers, street FAs, and UDFAs to support our HOF QB. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

4 hours ago, Yantha said:

Cephus will make the 53 I think.

This is a very sneaky good add.

Brings more than Shavers, Isabella, Shorter IMO.  I liked the Hamler add as well.

This is going to be an interesting WR camp battle shaping up.

i agree it's a sneaky good move.  I balked at it initially.  But i went to Wisconsin, not while Cephus was there, but I watched him a decent amount.  He's not some nondescript guy.  He's so strong, and would take over games.  I'd wonder...."Is anybody paying attention to this guy.  He could be a difference maker in the NFL."  His 40 time at the combine destroyed him, although her did run 4.56 at his pro day.  His first two years in the league were not promising, but he's the kind of training camp wonder that will have fans pounding the table for him around roster time.

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, SCBills said:

Post 6/1, I’m 100% convinced we’re either signing a mercenary EDGE or signing/trading for a legitimate WR. 

Not sure if we can get both done, but one of those things is happening.  

He was guarded on how he phrased that given our current cap situation and what it will look like June 1st. 

Beane definitely made it clear to tamper expectations on a trade, and clearly said post June 1st that they'll have "some room" to make a move or two.

With Solomon drafted, I definitely feel a little better and liked him as a prospect.

I'm with ya, hoping for a DE and WR post June 1.  Ogbah and Gallup are my guesses.  Ogbah on the decline, but can still be a DE4, and Gallup on a 1yr prove it deal.

Casey Toohill signed for $1m, I'm expecting he's in competition for DE4/5, with Kingsley, Solomon, and a potential FA.

Concern at WR is finding a WR4 for the boundary/can be successful downfield.  Beane will be playing with fire risking that on Hollins, Shorter, Cephus, Hamler, and Shavers.  I think Hollins is a decent WR5, due to ST value but I'd like to see Shorter get that role and for us to keep one of above or UDFA as Wr6.  

Gallup, Chark, MVS can all fill that WR4 role.  Just think Gallup makes most sense on a prove it deal, but if Beane can get either under the cap issues then I'm for it.  These guys aren't expected to bring more than 300-400 yards but give us depth at a spot where we just have a rookie to depend on.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, MasterStrategist said:

Beane definitely made it clear to tamper expectations on a trade, and clearly said post June 1st that they'll have "some room" to make a move or two.

With Solomon drafted, I definitely feel a little better and liked him as a prospect.

I'm with ya, hoping for a DE and WR post June 1.  Ogbah and Gallup are my guesses.  Ogbah on the decline, but can still be a DE4, and Gallup on a 1yr prove it deal.

Casey Toohill signed for $1m, I'm expecting he's in competition for DE4/5, with Kingsley, Solomon, and a potential FA.

Concern at WR is finding a WR4 for the boundary/can be successful downfield.  Beane will be playing with fire risking that on Hollins, Shorter, Cephus, Hamler, and Shavers.  I think Hollins is a decent WR5, due to ST value but I'd like to see Shorter get that role and for us to keep one of above or UDFA as Wr6.  

Gallup, Chark, MVS can all fill that WR4 role.  Just think Gallup makes most sense on a prove it deal, but if Beane can get either under the cap issues then I'm for it.  These guys aren't expected to bring more than 300-400 yards but give us depth at a spot where we just have a rookie to depend on.

They might bring in another guy after June 1 at WR, but Beane was pretty clear they’re not trading for a guy.  I think the # 4 guy is on the roster.  If Hamler can get over his injuries he’s the most logical choice.  Shorter never really got a chance to show much last year.  Then you have Hollins.  

10 hours ago, FireChans said:

Beane would rather sign a JAG fifth rounder from 2020 over drafting a fifth round WR in the great WR 2024 draft. 

Honestly, make it make sense. 

No, he'd rather draft a potential starting center (after losing his starting center), a versatile and athletic linebacker, a pass rusher with serious 3rd down impact potential, and acquire a 4th round pick in next years draft over drafting a depleted talent pool of wide receivers in the 5th round.  That's what he'd rather do.  I prefer his approach to yours.

1 minute ago, bearstobills said:

No, he'd rather draft a potential starting center (after losing his starting center), a versatile and athletic linebacker, a pass rusher with serious 3rd down impact potential, and acquire a 4th round pick in next years draft over drafting a depleted talent pool of wide receivers in the 5th round.  That's what he'd rather do.  I prefer his approach to yours.

His approach has certainly worked…..

4 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

Id be fine with Gallup.  I don’t think we need an Aiyuk level receiver to compete for a Super Bowl. 

I do think we need a legitimate rotational caliber WR to go with Coleman, Samuel and Shakir & provide insurance for injury.  Gallup would provide that. 

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, buffblue said:

Dude, our receivers were a huge problem last year, and on paper we look demonstrably worse now. Just once is it asking too much to give Josh Allen some love?

Look at the other top qb's around the league and it is indisputable that they have better weapons than Allen.

The top 10 qb's in the game imo (not in order) are Mahomes, Allen, Burrow, Stroud, Hurts, Prescott, Love, Goff, Purdy, and Stafford. 

Some would argue Herbert, Tua, Rodgers, or Cousins are top 10. 

NO ONE has a worse group of receivers than Josh, except MAYBE Herbert. Hell, Caleb Williams steps in and essentially has 3 (!) number one options before ever playing a single game.

Downplaying or ignoring this deficiency, as apparently Beane has decided (and you concur with), is flat out negligent with a unicorn QB in his prime.

I believe it is disputable that Mahomes has better weapons than Josh.  

10 hours ago, FireChans said:

I mean, sure. But this highlights how bizarre it was to not draft another WR lol

Or it just shows how our FO valued the WRs available vs the players that we drafted. 

Just now, oldmanfan said:

They might bring in another guy after June 1 at WR, but Beane was pretty clear they’re not trading for a guy.  I think the # 4 guy is on the roster.  If Hamler can get over his injuries he’s the most logical choice.  Shorter never really got a chance to show much last year.  Then you have Hollins.  

Agree on 1st part, as my post stated.

The 2nd half, I also discussed, just think it's a BIG risk to count on Hamler.  His past issues with soft tissue injuries are a major concern.  I'm not doubting Beane when he says that KJ has been working hard to correct that, but some of it is genetic.  Again possible but big risk.

Yes, we saw little of Shorter.  I think he's a possible WR4, but safer play is having him as a WR5/6.  He missed all but preseason as a rookie, from a physical standpoint. He was a raw player coming out, I'm sure he studied the mental aspects in season while rehabbing.  There is hope but there's also a chance he flames out.

Hollins has shown what he is, IMO that's a WR5 at best. 1 injury away from him being our WR3 is a very scary thought.

I fully understand that this will be a "committee approach" this year, as far as receiving threats.  I have no issue with that, actually think we could be better for it.

But our WR4 needs to be a complementary weapon and relied on as a reasonably solid boundary WR/downfield threat.  We have Coleman and the unknown of Shakir outside, but who has shown some poor body control on deeper pass game/shorter arms make it difficult as well.  Shakir is still a solid player, but downfield attack is not his strong suit.

IMO, Beane would be playing a very risky game by not finding a vet WR4 post June 1.  Let Shorter compete with Hollins for WR5, and all others can fight it out for WR6.

21 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

He loved Kelvin Benjamin too. While everyone gets faster, we get big, sluggish, late round fliers, street FAs, and UDFAs to support our HOF QB. 

Do you think Benjamin is comparable to Keon Coleman as an athlete?  

4 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

Agree on 1st part, as my post stated.

The 2nd half, I also discussed, just think it's a BIG risk to count on Hamler.  His past issues with soft tissue injuries are a major concern.  I'm not doubting Beane when he says that KJ has been working hard to correct that, but some of it is genetic.  Again possible but big risk.

Yes, we saw little of Shorter.  I think he's a possible WR4, but safer play is having him as a WR5/6.  He missed all but preseason as a rookie, from a physical standpoint. He was a raw player coming out, I'm sure he studied the mental aspects in season while rehabbing.  There is hope but there's also a chance he flames out.

Hollins has shown what he is, IMO that's a WR5 at best. 1 injury away from him being our WR3 is a very scary thought.

I fully understand that this will be a "committee approach" this year, as far as receiving threats.  I have no issue with that, actually think we could be better for it.

But our WR4 needs to be a complementary weapon and relied on as a reasonably solid boundary WR/downfield threat.  We have Coleman and the unknown of Shakir outside, but who has shown some poor body control on deeper pass game/shorter arms make it difficult as well.  Shakir is still a solid player, but downfield attack is not his strong suit.

IMO, Beane would be playing a very risky game by not finding a vet WR4 post June 1.  Let Shorter compete with Hollins for WR5, and all others can fight it out for WR6.

Part of your concern may be allayed by playing a lot of two TE sets.

• Agree 1

I just want guys that can catch the damn ball in critical situations and get some YAC.  I dont care what the guys 40 time is. There is more to a good WR than just 40 time.  I dunno if this kid can catch or not but Diggs and Davis were major let downs last season and Knox too with dropping some must have passes.

7 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Or it just shows how our FO valued the WRs available vs the players that we drafted. 

i guess that’s one way to look at it. 

Then again, our FO valued Deonte Harty and Trent Sherfield last off-season so maybe an appeal to Bill authority isn’t the most convincing argument when it comes to WR e v a l.

2 minutes ago, bearstobills said:

I couldn't agree more.  The Bills have the 2nd best record in the NFL since he's arrived.  I repeat....the 2nd best record in the NFL.  

No, they don’t.

Anyway, Josh Allen is very good at football. It makes me sad watching him throw passes that go through Trent Sherfield’s hands in playoff losses. If you consider those very good accomplishments instead, more power to you.

3 minutes ago, bearstobills said:

I couldn't agree more.  The Bills have the 2nd best record in the NFL since he's arrived.  I repeat....the 2nd best record in the NFL.  

Stop with the facts already. Beane and McD suck ass and need to start focusing on fast wr

• Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, FireChans said:

i guess that’s one way to look at it. 

Then again, our FO valued Deonte Harty and Trent Sherfield last off-season so maybe an appeal to Bill authority isn’t the most convincing argument when it comes to WR e v a l.

No, they don’t.

Anyway, Josh Allen is very good at football. It makes me sad watching him throw passes that go through Trent Sherfield’s hands in playoff losses. If you consider those very good accomplishments instead, more power to you.

As they did Diggs, Beasley John brown, gabe Davis in rd 4 and Shakir in rd 5