Brand Beane Press Conf 4/18

https://www.buffalobills.com/video/your-team-has-to-evolve-bills-general-manager-brandon-beane-speaks-ahead-of-the-2024-nfl-draft-buffalo-bills

Take aways:

1. I do not think Beane is even thinking about moving into the top 10 to get one of the big 3 WR. 
    1. He said he would take any call, but he also said teams in the top 10 don't generally call teams down at 28.  
    2. When asked about him calling them, he mocked them even wanting to take his call and made it clear he hasn't called them.  
    3. Worth noting as well, Bills have no reported visits or meetings with MHJ, Nabers, or Odunze.  We did reportedly meet once with Thomas.  
    4. He is not a fan at all of moving a future first, which I will cover in comments below.  
  2. I think he made it pretty clear as well that we are not going to be trading for a proven guy such as Aiyuk or Higgins as many have been wanting.  
    1. Specifically said when we traded for Stef, Allen was an ascending player and the offense needed a guy like that.  
    2. But that now with Allen ascended to the player he is, that is not a requirement and not necessary.
  3. He made it clear he is very comfortable making a small trade up to make sure he can get the guy he covets.  So if there is one he wants where a small move up to go get him is on the table, I think he will pull that trigger. 
  4. He also made it very clear he really does NOT want to move next years 1st, but did admit he would if the deal made sense to do it.  
    1. Referenced regretting those kind of moves in the next draft when they did them in Carolina when the next draft came and the guy they gave up that first didn't really get them over the top.
  5. He also doesn't plan to move the 2nd we got for Diggs, but wouldn't rule it out if they felt the right deal was there.  
  6. Between Josh, McD and Beane interviews, I think it was pretty clear they have a lot of confidence in the core of Samuel, Shakir, Kincaid, Knox, and Cook.  It is clear we are going after a WR in first 2 rounds, but I would not expect us to go back to back WR or take 2 early as some around here have suggested.  If we take a 2nd one, I would expect it later like rounds 4 and on.  
  7. Beane made it clear that trading back is very much in play at 28 and pointed out if they couldn't get Kincaid they had a real good trade back worked out he really liked.  
  8. Also added he would love to add someone on the DL that can contribute this season.  
    1. While he said it could be in the first, would have to see what is there at 28 in general, but went on to say he sees guys outside the first in this draft that can come in and contribute this year.

So what I came away with is that I think there is very little chance we are making a move to get MHJ, Nabers, or Odunze.  It was also clear it was just as unlikely we are going after someone like Aiyuk, Higgins, etc either.  And that has been my belief all along as well.  

While I wouldn't say that anything he said rules out moving up into the teens to get Thomas (like say Jags at 17), I think it's a low possibility he goes up outside the 20's.  The thing that most often stuck out was the reluctance on using high future picks to move up.  I think Beane really likes the idea of having a first and two 2nd's next year and really prefers not trading them.   And I do think that trading back is a very strong possibility for us to try and get a 3rd this year or maybe even a third 2nd for next year.

All in all this was a good listen...and Beane has a track record for being pretty straight forward and candid on these things, so I think he is shooting pretty straight with his comments like he always has. 

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 15
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 17

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

If he is speaking the truth… I find it interesting that he hasn’t spoken to the Top 10 teams yet …. Nothing wrong with at least asking the price … 

It definitely came across pretty authentic if you watch the whole interview and I think it’s because he knows for a team to move back to 28 is going to cost a lot as teams won’t have a lot of interest to move back that far, if any at all.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

If he is speaking the truth… I find it interesting that he hasn’t spoken to the Top 10 teams yet …. Nothing wrong with at least asking the price … 

If true,  it might suggest that they really like one or more WRs outside of those top 3 and don't need to trade up that far to accomplish their goals. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Thanks for your thoughts. 

On the one hand, some will say "it's lying season!" and "smokescreen!", and they're not entirely wrong. On the other hand, Beane has shown himself to be very honest and blunt over the years when he does these types of press conferences, and saying that there's nothing meaningful to be gained from listening to what he says ignores the evidence to the contrary that has piled up over the years.

Regarding a small trade-up, I'll say this:

The random report from Andrew Filiponi a few days ago that the Bills and Steelers swapping 1st round picks was "something to watch out for" raised my eyebrows.

It wouldn't be cost prohibitive for the Bills, it would match the M.O. of a modest round 1 trade-up that we all know Beane seems to love, and if I'm not mistaken, the Steelers need a center, and they could still likely get a JPJ or Graham Barton at 28.

If a Brian Thomas Jr or Cooper DeJean (or whomever they like) is sitting there at 20, it won't shock me one bit if this trade comes to fruition on draft night.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 3

10 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

https://www.buffalobills.com/video/your-team-has-to-evolve-bills-general-manager-brandon-beane-speaks-ahead-of-the-2024-nfl-draft-buffalo-bills

Take aways:

1. I do not think Beane is even thinking about moving into the top 10 to get one of the big 3 WR. 
    1. He said he would take any call, but he also said teams in the top 10 don't generally call teams down at 28.  
    2. When asked about him calling them, he mocked them even wanting to take his call and made it clear he hasn't called them.  
    3. Worth noting as well, Bills have no reported visits or meetings with MHJ, Nabers, or Odunze.  We did reportedly meet once with Thomas.  
    4. He is not a fan at all of moving a future first, which I will cover in comments below.  
  2. I think he made it pretty clear as well that we are not going to be trading for a proven guy such as Aiyuk or Higgins as many have been wanting.  
    1. Specifically said when we traded for Stef, Allen was an ascending player and the offense needed a guy like that.  
    2. But that now with Allen ascended to the player he is, that is not a requirement and not necessary.
  3. He made it clear he is very comfortable making a small trade up to make sure he can get the guy he covets.  So if there is one he wants where a small move up to go get him is on the table, I think he will pull that trigger. 
  4. He also made it very clear he really does NOT want to move next years 1st, but did admit he would if the deal made sense to do it.  
    1. Referenced regretting those kind of moves in the next draft when they did them in Carolina when the next draft came and the guy they gave up that first didn't really get them over the top.
  5. He also doesn't plan to move the 2nd we got for Diggs, but wouldn't rule it out if they felt the right deal was there.  
  6. Between Josh, McD and Beane interviews, I think it was pretty clear they have a lot of confidence in the core of Samuel, Shakir, Kincaid, Knox, and Cook.  It is clear we are going after a WR in first 2 rounds, but I would not expect us to go back to back WR or take 2 early as some around here have suggested.  If we take a 2nd one, I would expect it later like rounds 4 and on.  
  7. Beane made it clear that trading back is very much in play at 28 and pointed out if they couldn't get Kincaid they had a real good trade back worked out he really liked.  
  8. Also added he would love to add someone on the DL that can contribute this season.  
    1. While he said it could be in the first, would have to see what is there at 28 in general, but went on to say he sees guys outside the first in this draft that can come in and contribute this year.

So what I came away with is that I think there is very little chance we are making a move to get MHJ, Nabers, or Odunze.  It was also clear it was just as unlikely we are going after someone like Aiyuk, Higgins, etc either.  And that has been my belief all along as well.  

While I wouldn't say that anything he said rules out moving up into the teens to get Thomas (like say Jags at 17), I think it's a low possibility he goes up outside the 20's.  The thing that most often stuck out was the reluctance on using high future picks to move up.  I think Beane really likes the idea of having a first and two 2nd's next year and really prefers not trading them.   And I do think that trading back is a very strong possibility for us to try and get a 3rd this year or maybe even a third 2nd for next year.

All in all this was a good listen...and Beane has a track record for being pretty straight forward and candid on these things, so I think he is shooting pretty straight with his comments like he always has. 

JMO, if Beane is willing to part with the Diggs 2nd rounder.....then, possible trade teams at top of 2nd:

1. Car: I've outlined in other posts what I think is best

2. Ari: a team with two 3rds, we could give up #60, 2025 2nd, both 4ths, and our highest 5th.  For- their 2nd, one of their 3rd rounders, and their 4th

To your point on DL, that gives us a chance to land someone at top of 2nd, such as Fiske.  Beane I think considers that or if Darius is still there.

Say we do that with Ari:

1st: WR- Worthy or Franklin

Ari 2nd: Fiske

Ari 3rd: Best safety remaining

Ari 4th: RB or DE or WR

Might be a pipedream but draft value would be close.  That would hit our key needs and give us impact guys at WR, DL, and S/RB

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

I’m pretty certain Beane knows the price, and he isn’t paying it, just sayin.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

It definitely came across pretty authentic if you watch the whole interview and I think it’s because he knows for a team to move back to 28 is going to cost a lot as teams won’t have a lot of interest to move back that far, if any at all.  

Yes ..-I  watched the interview … I got the feeling he doesn’t want to give up the 1 next year .., which would presumably remove any possibility of a Top 10 trade up…

Just now, Don Otreply said:

I’m pretty certain Beane knows the price, and he isn’t paying it, just sayin.  

Yes .. like I said above … he ain’t getting there without giving up his 1 in 2025 which he didn’t seem happy about doing 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

If Marshawn Kneeland is available round 1 I think that is who we will pick and it's going to piss a lot of people off. Beane just doesn't seem to value WR's at a high rate. 

That would definitely piss a lot of people off,  for sure. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

If Marshawn Kneeland is available round 1 I think that is who we will pick and it's going to piss a lot of people off. Beane just doesn't seem to value WR's at a high rate. 

It will piss me off because I don’t think he is a first round talent 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Interesting that when he discussed WR traits he mentioned YAC. It wasn't in reference to any specific guy but I sense that's important, especially given how little YAC Bills WRs have had the past few years.

This comment/concept combined with more I read about Mitchell the less I think he's in play. Legette over Mitchell if we pick at 28 or in the 2nd. Not where I was a few weeks ago, but that's my uneducated guess.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Just now, Nephilim17 said:

Interesting that when he discussed WR traits he mentioned YAC. It wasn't in reference to any specific guy but I sense that's important, especially given how little YAC Bills WRs have had the past few years.

This comment/concept combined with more I read about Mitchell the less I think he's in play. Legette over Mitchell if we pick at 28 or in the 2nd. Not where I was a few weeks ago, but that's my uneducated guess.

Ladd McConkey.  Aside from the speed, quickness,  and route running,  he's also very good after the catch. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 5

They target arm length and wingspan at the position. Groot and AJ were in the top 3 DE's in that category, both in the high 80 and 90th percentile in that category. It wasn't by some accident.

Kneeland is this year and they already hosted him for a visit in Buffalo. So as much as I would also hate this pick I don't think it's very far fetched. We have shown it's a position we will invest heavily in. We have need. We have shown interest in Kneeland and his profile is similar to two players we drafted prior. Don't shoot the messenger.

image.png.8f01dd8e52d80e767058f424dade1a30.png

4 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Ladd McConkey.  Aside from the speed, quickness,  and route running,  he's also very good after the catch. 

I like McConkey a lot. He really stepped up when Bowers went down. I think he can do a lot of things for us. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

They target arm length and wingspan at the position. Groot and AJ were in the top 3 DE's in that category, both in the high 80 and 90th percentile in that category. It wasn't by some accident.

Kneeland is this year and they already hosted him for a visit in Buffalo. So as much as I would also hate this pick I don't think it's very far fetched. We have shown it's a position we will invest heavily in. We have need. We have shown interest in Kneeland and his profile is similar to two players we drafted prior. Don't shoot the messenger.

image.png.8f01dd8e52d80e767058f424dade1a30.png

It’s possible they can take him later right? 
He will be there a bit.. like AJ ended up 

Edited by Aussie Joe

Just now, Aussie Joe said:

It’s possible they can take him later right? 
He will be there a bit

I hope. Lots of reports have him inching into the late first round right now. It's a risk in my opinion. Especially if the juicy WR's are largely off the board. 

1 minute ago, Mikie2times said:

I hope. Lots of reports have him inching into the late first round right now. It's a risk in my opinion. Especially if the juicy WR's are largely off the board. 

Meh … I’ve seen a couple … most notably Brugler got him at 32 on his board ..

Most I see have still got him mid second at best