NBA bans Raptors' Jontay Porter for gambling violations

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/39962406/nba-bans-raptors-jontay-porter-gambling-violations

The Toronto Raptors' Jontay Porter has been banned from the league after an investigation revealed he had disclosed confidential information to bettors, limited his participation in at least one game while he was with Raptors, and bet on NBA games while playing in the G League.

The NBA said in a release announcing Porter's ban that its investigation remains open and that it is sharing information with federal authorities. ESPN reached out to the U.S. Department of Justice and the FBI for comment.

Gambling is destroying everything. Seriously.  I know for many it is fun but I have watched it over the last 6 months rip NC apart. It was made legal just after the suoer bowl and every ad now is for some sports site. Radio stations play sports book shows 24/7.  Most people at work bet. They'll bet $2 on an Australian middle achool tennis match, Saudi Arabian hockey tournament, Kenyan horse race.... Any damn thing.

Their third screens now show live streams of these sports, too.

I just cannot believe how it's going and NC is a fraction of the tax that other states are and what I tried to tell these folks are the taxed winnings they get are based off of winning every bet not just the final net total they're ahead. One guy has won over $2k but only netting about $350 income. He doesn't understand no matter how many times I tell him he is going to owe a lot more than he realizes. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

26 minutes ago, boyst said:

Gambling is destroying everything. Seriously.  I know for many it is fun but I have watched it over the last 6 months rip NC apart. It was made legal just after the suoer bowl and every ad now is for some sports site. Radio stations play sports book shows 24/7.  Most people at work bet. They'll bet $2 on an Australian middle achool tennis match, Saudi Arabian hockey tournament, Kenyan horse race.... Any damn thing.

I just cannot believe how it's going and NC is a fraction of the tax that other states are and what I tried to tell these folks are the taxed winnings they get are based off of winning every bet not just the final net total they're ahead. One guy has won over $2k but only netting about $350 income. He doesn't understand no matter how many times I tell him he is going to owe a lot more than he realizes. 

It's infiltrated my local hockey TV broadcasts in between periods. Sports radio runs commercials non-stop but the sports books shows aren't during drive time so it doesn't affect me as much. But whether it's TV or radio the sports book shows have some of the most annoying personalities on the face of the planet. 

58 minutes ago, boyst said:

I have a Fan Duel account and do bet up to 25$ on things and doing ok. So it would be hypocritical for me to condemn sports betting,  But I'm sick of odds running on the bottom of the screen in any of these sports, my feeling is leave that crap off we know where to find it

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

It's infiltrated my local hockey TV broadcasts in between periods. Sports radio runs commercials non-stop but the sports books shows aren't during drive time so it doesn't affect me as much. But whether it's TV or radio the sports book shows have some of the most annoying personalities on the face of the planet. 

There is some dude who sounds like words I am not educated enough to use properly so in order to do so I will combine words I know with made up words for the guy I hear a lot:

Dorky, nasiable, heliumfucted, self righteous, smarmy, annoying, unlistenable, stupid.

7 hours ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

I have a Fan Duel account and do bet up to 25$ on things and doing ok. So it would be hypocritical for me to condemn sports betting,  But I'm sick of odds running on the bottom of the screen in any of these sports, my feeling is leave that crap off we know where to find it

The sports books are paying to have it put up. And considering ad rev is down for these things it's just showing how fragile our media is to viewership and oversaturation.

41 minutes ago, boyst said:

There is some dude who sounds like words I am not educated enough to use properly so in order to do so I will combine words I know with made up words for the guy I hear a lot:

Dorky, nasiable, heliumfucted, self righteous, smarmy, annoying, unlistenable, stupid.

Is there such a thing as a punchable voice?

This has happened so many more times than this with prop betting. They just haven't caught people. The only way they caught this guy is because he's such a fringe player that the betting activity was easy to spot. If it were a more popular player, for example Calvin Ridley, who already has more money placed in his props, it would be much harder to catch.

Betting is out of the bag, but these prop bets need to go away. It's way too easy for an individual person to control the outcome to a prop bet on something that specific person does in a game. It's hard to fix a whole game without a conspiracy. It's easy to drop a pass to keep yourself from scoring, or from going over a specific number of catches, etc. Super easy. 

I realize that some will say why do it? They have so much to lose. People have problems and also get themselves into situations where they are vulnerable to outside control. That's why they do it.

On 4/18/2024 at 9:48 PM, boyst said:

I thought I was the only one betting on Saudi Arabian backgammon

17 hours ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

Jontay Porter says he's innocent of any gambling charges.

And he'll give you 3:1 odds that he will be reinstated before the end of the year.

I'll take the house 😁

• Haha (+1) 1

They're just going after the low hanging fruit so far. I'm not buying any of this Shohei Ohtani interpreter nonsense. The interpreter is a convenient fall guy. Sooner or later a big name will get nailed and down goes Frazier. It's never enough for these greedy swine owners until its too much. 

On 4/18/2024 at 7:48 PM, boyst said:

I know nothing about North Carolina state income taxes, but here's how it works for federal income taxes:

From https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc419

"Gambling winnings

A payer is required to issue you a Form W-2G, Certain Gambling Winnings if you receive certain gambling winnings or have any gambling winnings subject to federal income tax withholding. You must report all gambling winnings on Form 1040 or Form 1040-SR (use Schedule 1 (Form 1040)PDF), including winnings that aren't reported on a Form W-2GPDF. When you have gambling winnings, you may be required to pay an estimated tax on that additional income. For information on withholding on gambling winnings, refer to Publication 505, Tax Withholding and Estimated Tax.

Gambling losses

You may deduct gambling losses only if you itemize your deductions on Schedule A (Form 1040) and kept a record of your winnings and losses. The amount of losses you deduct can't be more than the amount of gambling income you reported on your return. Claim your gambling losses up to the amount of winnings, as "Other Itemized Deductions."

* * * * *

Recordkeeping

To deduct your losses, you must keep an accurate diary or similar record of your gambling winnings and losses and be able to provide receipts, tickets, statements, or other records that show the amount of both your winnings and losses. Refer to Publication 529, Miscellaneous Deductions for more information."

So if your "guy" doesn't itemize deductions, he will definitely have to pay federal income taxes on his gross winnings, not just his net outcome.  If he itemizes deductions, he might only have to pay federal income taxes on his net winnings, but even that requires record keeping that most folks probably don't bother with.

4 hours ago, ICanSleepWhenI'mDead said:

I know nothing about North Carolina state income taxes, but here's how it works for federal income taxes:

From https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc419

"Gambling winnings

A payer is required to issue you a Form W-2G, Certain Gambling Winnings if you receive certain gambling winnings or have any gambling winnings subject to federal income tax withholding. You must report all gambling winnings on Form 1040 or Form 1040-SR (use Schedule 1 (Form 1040)PDF), including winnings that aren't reported on a Form W-2GPDF. When you have gambling winnings, you may be required to pay an estimated tax on that additional income. For information on withholding on gambling winnings, refer to Publication 505, Tax Withholding and Estimated Tax.

Gambling losses

You may deduct gambling losses only if you itemize your deductions on Schedule A (Form 1040) and kept a record of your winnings and losses. The amount of losses you deduct can't be more than the amount of gambling income you reported on your return. Claim your gambling losses up to the amount of winnings, as "Other Itemized Deductions."

* * * * *

Recordkeeping

To deduct your losses, you must keep an accurate diary or similar record of your gambling winnings and losses and be able to provide receipts, tickets, statements, or other records that show the amount of both your winnings and losses. Refer to Publication 529, Miscellaneous Deductions for more information."

So if your "guy" doesn't itemize deductions, he will definitely have to pay federal income taxes on his gross winnings, not just his net outcome.  If he itemizes deductions, he might only have to pay federal income taxes on his net winnings, but even that requires record keeping that most folks probably don't bother with.

He does not itemize. I have told him he needs to work to be able to itemize. But he's stupid. So, tax season will be fun next year.