Could Dawson Knox be more of a gadget guy?

akcash

On 4/8/2024 at 8:19 PM, Captain Hindsight said:

Josh could make friends with a rabid weasel. He gets along with everyone 

Except Britt apparently 

And Diggs

On 4/6/2024 at 12:36 PM, akcash said:

Maybe he could be kind of like the TE version of what Cordarrelle Patterson?

I’d like to see if Joe can find more creative ways to get the ball in Knox’s hands so he can  show some of that RAC ability and power. 

I think the way to do that is line him up in the backfield more. He’d be an effective weapon catching passes out of the backfield and this is just my opinion, but I would like to see what he could do with some traditional carries.

Not saying he wouldn’t still be a top 2 inline tight end for the most part as I think he’s one of the better blocking tight ends in the league. 

To me it seems he just has a lot of wasted movement in his routes and I think it’s easy for DBs to cover.  On the flip-side though he has  so much playmaking ability with ball in his hands.

Ive heard it all now… 

11 hours ago, SirAndrew said:

Sure, if dropped passes were a cool gadget. 

And slowness…

I'm way higher on Knox than most people on this board, and I think he's gotten a bit of a bum rap because of injuries and the fact that he constantly needed to assist the subpar O-Line with blocking. I think he's a good player with a lot of upside and a contract that he hasn't lived up to, but I don't know that it's 100% his fault. 

I don't think Knox is a gadget guy, but I do like the idea of being even more creative in the playcalling.

• Agree 1

Just now, Bruffalo said:

I'm way higher on Knox than most people on this board, and I think he's gotten a bit of a bum rap because of injuries and the fact that he constantly needed to assist the subpar O-Line with blocking. I think he's a good player with a lot of upside and a contract that he hasn't lived up to, but I don't know that it's 100% his fault. 

I don't think Knox is a gadget guy, but I do like the idea of being even more creative in the playcalling.

He sucked last year - plain and simple.  Injuries definitely played a part - he tried to play with a broken wrist for a few weeks.

At the same time, he was actually pretty solid the previous 2 seasons so I'm not worried that he's "lost a step".  He's always had issues with drops so thats probably never going away, but the guy can play and he's probably our best redzone weapon at this point.  If we're going to play a more physical brand of football with him and kincaid as pass catchers, you can do a LOT worse at TE2. 

5 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

He sucked last year - plain and simple.  Injuries definitely played a part - he tried to play with a broken wrist for a few weeks.

At the same time, he was actually pretty solid the previous 2 seasons so I'm not worried that he's "lost a step".  He's always had issues with drops so thats probably never going away, but the guy can play and he's probably our best redzone weapon at this point.  If we're going to play a more physical brand of football with him and kincaid as pass catchers, you can do a LOT worse at TE2. 

I think the drops can be mitigated. He's basically 2-3 years behind his contemporaries because of injuries and the fact that he was never used as a pass catcher in college. He's an athlete though and a stellar red zone target, and I think you're right, we can do much worse as TE2. 

58 minutes ago, Bruffalo said:

I think the drops can be mitigated. He's basically 2-3 years behind his contemporaries because of injuries and the fact that he was never used as a pass catcher in college. He's an athlete though and a stellar red zone target, and I think you're right, we can do much worse as TE2. 

His drops last year were some pretty rough ones.  But i love his physicality.  Combine that with similar aggressive run after catch ability you see from kincaid, and you can make it really tough on another teams secondary by forcing them to shed blocks and tackle these big dudes.  

A "gadget" guy to me implies a guy you put all over the field. TE, Slot WR, in the backfield, etc. to get the ball in his hands in space. This kind of role goes to very athletic, slippery, generally speed guys. Dawson Knox does not have that kind of athleticism. Occasionally, you could split him out wide in the middle. But he's not a "gadget guy".

18 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

A "gadget" guy to me implies a guy you put all over the field. TE, Slot WR, in the backfield, etc. to get the ball in his hands in space. This kind of role goes to very athletic, slippery, generally speed guys. Dawson Knox does not have that kind of athleticism. Occasionally, you could split him out wide in the middle. But he's not a "gadget guy".

I agree gadget guy is usually viewed as a speed guy. I think what I meant is more of a swiss army knife like a taysom hill minus the passing. I think we should see what he can do with some power running carries and and some plays where hes in the back field blocking and leaks put or just passes out of the backfield. We all know hes got some juice/power when he has the ball on his hands.