If Rex Ryan had not been fired, and we still drafted Josh Allen...

17 hours ago, Behindenemylines said:

Didn’t he have Mario pulling back and defending the pass all the time.  Is he the coach who had Mario wear those stupid red contacts so he was sooo scary 

yes yes and yes

Fuh k Rex Ryan, he is a walking disaster as a HC, never really tried to be good, even before he left the Jets. 

37 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Rex was a disaster as a coach.  He took over a team he was supposed to elevate, not suck.  Not just public perception, but even by players accounts.  McD took over a team that immediately went into a tear down and full 100% rebuild...and McD made the playoffs with the roster Rex had after they traded away our #1 WR, starting corner, and best DT.  

I feel like this is when a girl leaves an abusive relationship and then forgets and gets back together again with them later.  Like they just gloss over all the bad like it didn't happen.  

Holy hyperbole batman!

Rex was average-ish as a coach here. Not a disaster. He took over for a team that had been 9-7 and 6-10 under the previous coach and proceeded to go 8-8 and 7-8. He did this with Tyrod Taylor as his QB. A guy that's been nothing more than a competent backup for the rest of his career. 

Rex's biggest mistake was setting expectations as high as he did. 

As far as results go, Rex was a mediocre coach that got mediocre results from a mediocre roster. Let's not pretend like he was taking over the 2009 Colts. 

• Disagree 2

Well Whaley would have been fully in charge of the draft and we would have taken Mahomes as reported many years ago. I can't see how the Bills would have drafted Allen still under that regime?

No clue how things pan out with them from there though. 

Edited by Real McClappy
  • Agree 1

26 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Holy hyperbole batman!

Rex was average-ish as a coach here. Not a disaster. He took over for a team that had been 9-7 and 6-10 under the previous coach and proceeded to go 8-8 and 7-8. He did this with Tyrod Taylor as his QB. A guy that's been nothing more than a competent backup for the rest of his career. 

Rex's biggest mistake was setting expectations as high as he did. 

As far as results go, Rex was a mediocre coach that got mediocre results from a mediocre roster. Let's not pretend like he was taking over the 2009 Colts. 

Rex took over what was an underachieving team.  There is a reason a coach get fired before the season is even over.  He took over what I believe was the #4 Defense in the league and immediately sunk it to the bottom of the league.  

If you think the job Rex did is anywhere near the level of coaching McD has done, then I don't know what to say to that.  That is pretty astonishing.  One is one of the longest tenured coaches in the NFL with a great win/loss record and the other was fired in season before he finished his 2nd year here and hasn't had any HC interest since and only been sniffed around as a DC.  

If McD gets fired, he will have HC interest from other teams out the gate.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I would have vomited daily until he was fired.

Hated that fat f@ck. Horrible hire following four horrible seasons in a row with the Jets. Whaley was and is an idiot.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

Would he? McD should’ve been fired and he’s still here. 

I think you inhabit an alternative universe with no connection to reality.   Did you ever watch Ryan's Bills teams when you were sober?

3 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

They would have drafted Mahomes, IMO.

But Rex was pretty checked out.   He gave Pegula an ultimatum because he didn't want to coach.   The NY job burned him out he just took what was then a massive contract to be the Bills HC.   Anthony Lynn would have been the HC for Mahomes rookie year, most likely.

1 hour ago, Real McClappy said:

Well Whaley would have been fully in charge of the draft and we would have taken Mahomes as reported many years ago. I can't see how the Bills would have drafted Allen still under that regime?

No clue how things pan out with them from there though. 

I have no doubt that Whaley would have drafted Mahomes.   However, I don't think he would developed into today's Patrick Mahomes.  He was around at #10 because there were a lot of questions about him, and Reid and Bieniemy worked long and hard with him to get him on the right path, especially in his first couple of seasons.  I doubt that Ryan would have bothered much with Mahomes, just thrown him into the game. 

3 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Rex wouldn't have the record McD has to keep him around this long.  Have people forgotten how bad the Rex coaching era was?  

IMO, nostalgia is a defense mechanism.  For most people, high school mostly sucked, but go to your 40 or 50 year HS reunion, and it seems a pretty good time.

3 hours ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Rex was 15-16 in his 2 seasons here (fired going into the final game of 2016)

McD was 15-17 his first 2 seasons

I think there's dozens of coaches that would've won a SB by now with Josh Allen. I'd even put Rex on that list

ROTFLMAO!  Do you realize that there are 12 items in a dozen, and that "dozens" implies more than 1?   If you think "there's dozens of coaches that would've won a SB by now with Josh Allen", please name some of these paragons.

1 hour ago, BuffaloMatt said:

I would have vomited daily until he was fired.

Hated that fat f@ck. Horrible hire following four horrible seasons in a row with the Jets. Whaley was and is an idiot.

You can't blame Whaley for the Ryan hiring.   He was charged with presenting a list of interested candidates, but it would have been Russ Brandon and Terry Pegula doing the picking.  Brandon would NEVER have hired Ryan -- Ryan wanted too much -- but Pegula was blown away by Ryan's glib tongue (ie, BS) in his interview.

Edited by SoTier
  • Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Rex took over what was an underachieving team.  There is a reason a coach get fired before the season is even over.  He took over what I believe was the #4 Defense in the league and immediately sunk it to the bottom of the league.  

If you think the job Rex did is anywhere near the level of coaching McD has done, then I don't know what to say to that.  That is pretty astonishing.  One is one of the longest tenured coaches in the NFL with a great win/loss record and the other was fired in season before he finished his 2nd year here and hasn't had any HC interest since and only been sniffed around as a DC.  

If McD gets fired, he will have HC interest from other teams out the gate.  

How is Marrone going 9-7 in 2014 with Kyle Orton underachieving? Orton was a low end starter (at best) on his very last legs. We had a top 5 defense and a bottom 10 offense that year.  

Rex came in and the offense got a lot better while the defense got a lot worse, but the DEF was not close to the bottom of the league under Rex. In 2015 the Bills DEF was 15th in points allowed, 19th in total yards, 19th in passing yards, and 16th in rushing. In 2016 the Bills DEF was 16th in points, 19th in total yards, 6th in passing yards, and 29th in rushing yards. 

Rex got fired before the season ended because he refused to bench Tyrod over an injury guarantee. 

What has McD achieved without a top 3 QB? 25-23 regular season and 0-2 in the playoffs. That's really so different from Rex going 15-16?

You give a mediocre jackass like Rex a QB like Josh Allen, and yes, I think we'd have a SB by now. 

Edited by DabillsDaBillsDaBills
corrected Rex record as HC
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

How is Marrone going 9-7 in 2014 with Kyle Orton underachieving? Orton was a low end starter (at best) on his very last legs. We had a top 5 defense and a bottom 10 offense that year.  

Rex came in and the offense got a lot better while the defense got a lot worse, but the DEF was not close to the bottom of the league under Rex. In 2015 the Bills DEF was 15th in points allowed, 19th in total yards, 19th in passing yards, and 16th in rushing. In 2016 the Bills DEF was 16th in points, 19th in total yards, 6th in passing yards, and 29th in rushing yards. 

Rex got fired before the season ended because he refused to bench Tyrod over an injury guarantee. 

What has McD achieved without a top 3 QB? 25-23 regular season and 0-2 in the playoffs. That's really so different from Rex going 15-16?

You give a mediocre jackass like Rex a QB like Josh Allen, and yes, I think we'd have a SB by now. 

Lol...there is no point in discussing Rex with you because you aren't discussing Rex, you are just disguising this convo to be about Rex when its really about your disdain for McD.  So because we are clearly not discussing the same thing lets just move on.  There is a reason Rex was fired before the end of his second season and its not because he was good at his job.

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 2

Rex was all about the Bling.  His Truck and all the perks that went with the HC position.  Hell, his teeth are so white you need to wear eclipse glasses just to look at the guy.

Edited by Toyo321

On 4/5/2024 at 11:30 AM, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Rex was 15-16 in his 2 seasons here (fired going into the final game of 2016)

McD was 15-17 his first 2 seasons

I think there's dozens of coaches that would've won a SB by now with Josh Allen. I'd even put Rex on that list

A textbook example of how numbers don't always tell the full story.

Edited by dgrochester55