NFL Draft change/proposal

Figster

Just now, Punching Bag said:

Make it about money like current NFL - let all players be able to be auctioned to highest bidder.  Then players will be more accurate it at calling it a slave auction.

Lol, I love this idea, hahaha

1 hour ago, Figster said:

Drought brain, lol, ok

How about scrambled brains for all the good QB's ruined behind bad Olines.  Piss poor management like putting Aaron Rodgers behind the Jets Oline. Lets ruin Zach Wilson since brainstorm idea number one doesn't work.

Brilliant... 

Zach Wilson was never a good QB. That’s where you’re wrong lol.

Aaron Rodgers wasn’t bad last year. He got hurt. There is a significant difference between getting hurt and being garbage. Wilson is garbage. Just like Darnold was garbage.

Lots of folks like you thought Sammy boy was just being held back by the Jets.  They worked for the Panthers and traded for Sam for a second round pick. They are begging for change on the freeway now.

Sam and Zach would look bad behind the Bills OL in 2021 and 2022. Do you know why Josh was still amazing those years? Because he’s a MUCH BETTER QB.

It has nothing to do with Brandon Beane’s leadership in the FO. Zero, zilch, nada.

Edited by FireChans
  • Thank you (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Zach Wilson was never a good QB. That’s where you’re wrong lol.

Aaron Rodgers wasn’t bad last year. He got hurt. There is a significant difference between getting hurt and being garbage. Wilson is garbage. Just like Darnold was garbage.

Lots of folks like you thought Sammy boy was just being held back by the Jets.  They worked for the Panthers and traded for Sam for a second round pick. They are begging for change on the freeway now.

Sam and Zach would look bad behind the Bills OL in 2021 and 2022. Do you know why Josh was still amazing those years? Because he’s a MUCH BETTER QB.

It has nothing to do with Brandon Beane’s leadership in the FO. Zero, zilch, nada.

Circumstances, and coaching and development are certainly the biggest parts of how young quarterbacks develop

Now I'm not saying Sam darnold was destined to be a Hall of famer... But going to the Jets certainly hindered his development

They have developed like 1 quarterback in 60 years... They do not understand how to treat a quarterback.. they throw them to the fires and watch them suffer

Even McDermott tried to sit Allen behind Peterman because it's logically the best thing for any professional quarterback... It helped Rogers, it helped Brady, it helped Eli and Philip Rivers

Sitting and learning the professional game has never hurt any quarterback... Getting thrown to the fire has hurt more than it's helped

If you could survive being thrown to the fire you will be all right... But destroys more

And the Jets have been a dumpster fire for the majority of their history

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, Buffalo716 said:

Circumstances, and coaching and development are certainly the biggest parts of how young quarterbacks develop

Now I'm not saying Sam darnold was destined to be a Hall of famer... But going to the Jets certainly hindered his development

They have developed one quarterback in 60 years... They do not understand how to treat a quarterback.. they throw them to the fires and watch them suffer

Even McDermott tried to sit Allen behind Peterman because it's logically the best thing for any professional quarterback... It helped Rogers, it helped Brady, it helped Eli and Philip Rivers

Sitting and learning the professional game has never hurt any quarterback... Getting thrown to the fire has hurt more than it's helped

If you could survive being thrown to the fire you will be all right... But destroys more

I don’t disagree that sitting for a bit can be helpful.

I do disagree with the philosophy of “get this guy good enough.” That’s legitimately worse. If Wilson or Darnold sit for a season then get 3 seasons starting after that and are just “okay” QB’s, you aren’t going anywhere anyway. 

The cream rises to the top. Josh could’ve sat, he could’ve started week one, it wouldn’t matter, he’d still be what he is today. Same with Burrow. Same with Lamar. Same with Mahomes. Same with Stafford. I firmly believe that. 

I would also disagree that they always throw them to the fire. Sanchez was game managing hard when he got drafted. He still sucked. He was playing Mac Jones ball, which got them more success than they deserved. And it’s the same thing that happened to Mac. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, FireChans said:

I don’t disagree that sitting for a bit can be helpful.

I do disagree with the philosophy of “get this guy good enough.” That’s legitimately worse. If Wilson or Darnold sit for a season then get 3 seasons starting after that and are just “okay” QB’s, you aren’t going anywhere anyway. 

The cream rises to the top. Josh could’ve sat, he could’ve started week one, it wouldn’t matter, he’d still be what he is today. Same with Burrow. Same with Lamar. Same with Mahomes. Same with Stafford. I firmly believe that. 

I would also disagree that they always throw them to the fire. Sanchez was game managing hard when he got drafted. He still sucked. He was playing Mac Jones ball, which got them more success than they deserved. And it’s the same thing that happened to Mac. 

Cream rising to the top is certainly an overstatement... There are plenty of quarterbacks that have been ruined

David Carr was much better than Derek Carr coming out... It's not even close

But David went to an expansion franchise that rattled his brain and ruined him

Quarterbacks learning from the bench has never been a bad thing in the NFL... It's the one position that does not need live repetitions to get better

Tony Romo sitting on the bench for 3-4 years completely turned his career around and helped him turn into a borderline Hall of famer... If he got thrown to the fire as a rookie he's out of the league in 2 years

But Jerry Jones took 4 years developing him and he has 30,000 yards and 200 touchdowns

Taking care of quarterbacks is the biggest thing in professional sports... Way more are broken than made

You could never convince me Tom Brady is Tom Brady... If he didn't get Bill belichick and to sit behind Drew bledsoe

He's not Tom Brady if he goes to Atlanta lol 

Situations and development is Paramount to any NFL player.. Sam darnold had tons of talent but I knew he was ruined the second he was going to New York

Justin Fields had tons of talent and I knew he was ruined the second he was going to Chicago.. because they haven't developed a quarterback in 30 years

Justin fields in Seattle could get developed by Pete Carroll

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Cream rising to the top is certainly an overstatement... There are plenty of quarterbacks that have been ruined

David Carr was much better than Derek Carr coming out... It's not even close

But David went to an expansion franchise that rattled his brain and ruined him

Quarterbacks learning from the bench has never been a bad thing in the NFL... It's the one position that does not need live repetitions to get better

Tony Romo sitting on the bench for 3-4 years completely turned his career around and helped him turn into a borderline Hall of famer... If he got thrown to the fire as a rookie he's out of the league in 2 years

But Jerry Jones took 4 years developing him and he has 30,000 yards and 200 touchdowns

Taking care of quarterbacks is the biggest thing in professional sports... Way more are broken than made

You could never convince me Tom Brady is Tom Brady... If he didn't get Bill belichick and to sit behind Drew bledsoe

He's not Tom Brady if he goes to Atlanta lol 

Situations and development is Paramount to any NFL player.. Sam darnold had tons of talent but I knew he was ruined the second he was going to New York

Justin Fields had tons of talent and I knew he was ruined the second he was going to Chicago.. because they haven't developed a quarterback in 30 years

Justin fields in Seattle could get developed by Pete Carroll

I guess I just disagree. I think Brady would’ve still been great. I think Romo would’ve been really good. 

Folks like to say QB’s get “ruined,” but what does that mean? Justin Fields is incapable of improving now after a few bad seasons? Why?  Bad habits he can’t break?

I never bought it and I still don’t. How did Jared Goff somehow shake off his rookie year? He should’ve been “ruined” by Jeff Fisher, right? 

Or maybe, just maybe, the ones who suck with arguably bad coaching and then suck with arguably good coaching…. just suck.

• Thank you (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, FireChans said:

I guess I just disagree. I think Brady would’ve still been great. I think Romo would’ve been really good. 

Folks like to say QB’s get “ruined,” but what does that mean? Justin Fields is incapable of improving now after a few bad seasons? Why?  Bad habits he can’t break?

I never bought it and I still don’t. How did Jared Goff somehow shake off his rookie year? He should’ve been “ruined” by Jeff Fisher, right? 

Or maybe, just maybe, the ones who suck with arguably bad coaching and then suck with arguably good coaching…. just suck.

No offense... But I can tell football fans.. from people who have been around the game for a long time in a professional standpoint... Paid to coach the game

You're literally trying to argue that situation's don't impact players which is the biggest thing for professional quarterbacks and players

Josh Allen would certainly be better today if he got to sit and learn behind tyrod Taylor or Ryan Fitzpatrick for a year or two... Josh Allen is a Hall of Fame quarterback with some quirks that still pop out under duress... Sitting and learning on the bench helps alleviate those quirks... Mahomes had quirks... Sitting for an entire year help his muscle memory... Helped eliminate quarks under pressure... Josh didn't eliminate those .. he still one of the best quarterbacks in the world... But reverts to bad quirks under pressure... You can really alleviate that with time which he didn't get... Manning didn't get it either and he's one of the best ever.. Brady did get it and he's better

Jared Goff didn't get sacked 70 times as a rookie and get his brain scrambled.. he was behind a good yet old school NFL coach... Jeff Fisher maybe wasn't ready for the new school of the NFL... Certainly knows the psyche behind developing a young player

Peyton Manning had 28 interceptions as a rookie that doesn't mean he was ruined... Because he was getting raised the correct way to know that's not an issue... The support to keep him positive... You're on a bad team 28 interceptions is okay

And Jared Goff is average , certainly not an NFL superstar... So a number one pick who is supposed to be in All pro... Has became an average NFL quarterback Due to circumstances

Patrick mahomes... Was passed on by 9 NFL teams... Tyreek Hill called him trash as a rookie... But he got to learn the NFL game from the bench... Behind a pro bowl quarterback... And the best quarterback coach of the last 30 years

And he developed beautifully because he wasn't thrown to the fire... 

Getting thrown to the fire is the death sentence of a young NFL quarterback... If you can survive being thrown to the fire as a QB you're basically an NFL Hall of famer

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Figster said:

The reward you may get for being one of the best college athletes playing in your position is to end up playing for one of the worst coached and managed teams in the NFL. In many instances the best college QB's end up in places destined for failure. So why reward poorly coached and managed teams in this manner? Why do we reward the best college athletes entering the NFL draft in this manner? I get trying to even the playing field. My idea is to make teams work for the rights to the best college athletes. Show that you can coach and manage well enough to give star athletes a chance for success in the NFL. My idea is to give the best team/record to not make the playoffs the 1st pick in the draft and go from best to worst record. Teams on the brink of becoming playoff caliber getting the best college athletes available. Win, win for both the player and team. Playoff teams pick last and still go from best to worst. Stop rewarding perennial bad teams for failure. 

Any thoughts on this idea my fellow Bills fans?

The idea of the draft is to even the playing field otherwise why are fans even bothering coming to your stadium if you now can't even get the best players in the draft when you lose? For 17 years the best part of our days as Bills fans was the hope for a savior prospect in the draft to get us out of the funk that was the continued loop we were in what seemed like forever. The draft is the 1 thing to me that's not broken and shouldn't be touched in any way imo.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel2014 said:

The idea of the draft is to even the playing field otherwise why are fans even bothering coming to your stadium if you now can't even get the best players in the draft when you lose? For 17 years the best part of our days as Bills fans was the hope for a savior prospect in the draft to get us out of the funk that was the continued loop we were in what seemed like forever. The draft is the 1 thing to me that's not broken and shouldn't be touched in any way imo.

Since the two busiest posters in this thread can't even spell parity correct I commend you with this logical post.

I fell in love with the Buffalo Bills at a very early age because of a charismatic and fun to watch RB named O J Simpson.

Drafted 1st overall in the NFL Draft...

Edited by Figster

3 minutes ago, Figster said:

Since the two busiest posters in this thread can't even spell parity correct I commend you with this logical post.

I fell in love with the Buffalo Bills at a very early age because of a very charismatic and fun to watch RB named O J Simpson.

To be fair I speak into the microphone into my phone

If it can't spell parody correctly... Parity****.. well screw it I'm not taking my time to change it

• Thank you (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

You're literally trying to argue that situation's don't impact players which is the biggest thing for professional quarterbacks and players

Situations matter. To an extent.

I’m not arguing otherwise.

what im arguing is that great situations can make a B+ QB into an A- or an A.

Bad situation can also make an A QB into a B plus. 

Situations will never make a C or D QB into an A QB. Ever. Ever ever.

Mark Sanchez could’ve sat for a year on the 2017 Chiefs with Hill and Kelce and Reid and never, ever, ever, been great. 

28 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

If you can survive being thrown to the fire as a QB you're basically an NFL Hall of famer

This is just nonsense. Jared Goff isn’t a Hall of Famer. we all agree he survived, yeah?

Is Stroud a Hall of Famer? What about Herbert? Or Lawrence?

All of them survived getting thrown into the fire.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Figster said:

I fell in love with the Buffalo Bills at a very early age because of a charismatic and fun to watch RB named O J Simpson.

That was a bit before my time but that must have been awesome, what was the draft like then?

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Mark Sanchez could’ve sat for a year on the 2017 Chiefs with Hill and Kelce and Reid and never, ever, ever, been great. 

This is just nonsense. Jared Goff isn’t a Hall of Famer. we all agree he survived, yeah?

Luckily for Herbert and Lawrence they can run well and throw while running.

39 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel2014 said:

That was a bit before my time but that must have been awesome, what was the draft like then?

I was only 8 at the time and wasn't watching the NFL draft yet. Yes, watching O J play was awesome. 

Edited by Figster

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

To be fair you're making me exaggerate.. because you're not grasping what I'm saying

Situations for quarterbacks is Paramount

Always has been always will be... Sitting has never been bad for a quarterback

David Carr was an really good QB quarterback that turned into a bum.. while his brother was an average prospect who turned into a NFL starter

Because of situations

Again not every situation is created equal... Trevor Lawrence was the greatest 18-year-old quarterback I have ever seen

I saw him at the All American game in high school and I said I would have drafted him in the first round out of high school... Even if you had to sit on them for 3 years developing him

His physical gifts and technique were the purest I've ever seen at that age... And he went to a historically bad franchise and wins games

He certainly is not a bust

If he went to Andy Reid as a rookie I think he certainly is transcendent..but he didn't 

I actually was not high on CJ Stroud... And he certainly proved me wrong and will be a really good quarterback.. I didn't like the situation he was in

But where they land has as much to do with their development as their talent... There is a reason why the worst teams have a chance at the best players... But there's also a reason why they're the worst teams

There are so many variables... And coaching and grooming have a lot to do with it... But learning on the bench has never been bad for a quarterback's development

Brees, Brady , rivers , Eli Manning , Rodgers ... Even Allen was supposed to sit... Because it's the best thing for a Young quarterback

Fitzpatrick was a c-minus physical quarterback... But he sat for the majority of 3 years and learned the game... And he has more touchdowns than Tony Romo... Play him game one of his rookie year... And he certainly doesn't develop as well as he did from the bench.. he has more touchdowns than Kurt Warner and Ryan tannehill too

It's been the way forever... If you physically can sit them... It's always a positive to learn the professional game and knock out some of the quirks they have ..  and it doesn't always even knock them all out

Getting thrown to the fire can create great quarterbacks but you never really knock out those quirks that you can while sitting on the bench... Sitting for a year or two can remove them

You can be a great quarterback getting thrown to the fire but some of those quirks pop up under duress... A good quarterback will only be greater if he gets to sit and learn the game and eliminate some quirks

Again you could never convince me Tom Brady wins his first six super bowls with anybody other than the greatest defensive coordinator in NFL history... Who was The Mastermind of a dynasty... And basically controlled young Tom Brady like young cus dmato controlled Mike Tyson

There's a reason why it's called grooming a quarterback... They're not ready made 99% time

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Figster said:

The reward you may get for being one of the best college athletes playing in your position is to end up playing for one of the worst coached and managed teams in the NFL. In many instances the best college QB's end up in places destined for failure. So why reward poorly coached and managed teams in this manner? Why do we reward the best college athletes entering the NFL draft in this manner? I get trying to even the playing field. My idea is to make teams work for the rights to the best college athletes. Show that you can coach and manage well enough to give star athletes a chance for success in the NFL. My idea is to give the best team/record to not make the playoffs the 1st pick in the draft and go from best to worst record. Teams on the brink of becoming playoff caliber getting the best college athletes available. Win, win for both the player and team. Playoff teams pick last and still go from best to worst. Stop rewarding perennial bad teams for failure. 

Any thoughts on this idea my fellow Bills fans?

The system work fine,  normally teams that are bad and drafting high have fired their HC'S and having an opportunity to draft a top QB offers an incentive to hiring a new and more capable HC. The teams that are bad usually lose because they don't have a QB and enough surrounding talent

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

To be fair you're making me exaggerate.. because you're not grasping what I'm saying

Situations for quarterbacks is Paramount

Always has been always will be... Sitting has never been bad for a quarterback

David Carr was an really good QB quarterback that turned into a bum.. while his brother was an average prospect who turned into a NFL starter

Because of situations

Again not every situation is created equal... Trevor Lawrence was the greatest 18-year-old quarterback I have ever seen

I saw him at the All American game in high school and I said I would have drafted him in the first round out of high school... Even if you had to sit on them for 3 years developing him

His physical gifts and technique were the purest I've ever seen at that age... And he went to a historically bad franchise and wins games

He certainly is not a bust

If he went to Andy Reid as a rookie I think he certainly is transcendent..but he didn't 

I actually was not high on CJ Stroud... And he certainly proved me wrong and will be a really good quarterback.. I didn't like the situation he was in

But where they land has as much to do with their development as their talent... There is a reason why the worst teams have a chance at the best players... But there's also a reason why they're the worst teams

There are so many variables... And coaching and grooming have a lot to do with it... But learning on the bench has never been bad for a quarterback's development

Brees, Brady , rivers , Eli Manning , Rodgers ... Even Allen was supposed to sit... Because it's the best thing for a Young quarterback

Fitzpatrick was a c-minus physical quarterback... But he sat for the majority of 3 years and learned the game... And he has more touchdowns than Tony Romo... Play him game one of his rookie year... And he certainly doesn't develop as well as he did from the bench.. he has more touchdowns than Kurt Warner and Ryan tannehill too

It's been the way forever... If you physically can sit them... It's always a positive to learn the professional game and knock out some of the quirks they have ..  and it doesn't always even knock them all out

Getting thrown to the fire can create great quarterbacks but you never really knock out those quirks that you can while sitting on the bench... Sitting for a year or two can remove them

You can be a great quarterback getting thrown to the fire but some of those quirks pop up under duress... A good quarterback will only be greater if he gets to sit and learn the game and eliminate some quirks

Again you could never convince me Tom Brady wins his first six super bowls with anybody other than the greatest defensive coordinator in NFL history... Who was The Mastermind of a dynasty... And basically controlled young Tom Brady like young cus dmato controlled Mike Tyson

There's a reason why it's called grooming a quarterback... They're not ready made 99% time

I understand exactly what you’re saying. I just don’t entirely agree.

Yes, sitting a QB can help. I agree with that. 

Yes, I agree that Brady maybe doesn’t win 6 SB’s in a different situation. What I am arguing is that he’d STILL BE A GREAT QB. He would’ve NEVER been Ryan Fitzpatrick. Never, ever. Just like Josh would’ve never been Fitz. Ever.

Edited by FireChans
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Terrible idea.  Bad teams would get stuck as being bad teams for a long time.  Those teams would lose fans and ticket sales and become what the Clippers were in the NBA for decades when Sterling owned the team.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Terrible idea.  Bad teams would get stuck as being bad teams for a long time.  Those teams would lose fans and ticket sales and become what the Clippers were in the NBA for decades when Sterling owned the team.  

Bad teams already are staying bad teams for a long time. The Bills didn't make the playoffs for over two decades. So unless you want to call an 8 - 8 season good nothing changed until the Bills hired the McBeane regime. It had ZERO to do with the draft.

ZERO...

• Disagree 1

18 minutes ago, Figster said:

Bad teams already are staying bad teams for a long time. The Bills didn't make the playoffs for over two decades. So unless you want to call an 8 - 8 season good nothing changed until the Bills hired the McBeane regime. It had ZERO to do with the draft.

ZERO...

Zero to do with the draft?  Are you serious?  Ever heard of Josh Allen?  You don't think this team is a perennial playoff team now and SB contender because it drafted Josh Allen early?  I mean you can't be serious.  

How many games do we win last year if Tyrod was our QB?  How about in 2022?  Does Tyrod put up 9 TD's in 2 games in the playoffs in 2021?  I mean Josh Allen has the most TD's in NFL history in his first 6 seasons.  

We win because of Josh.  We drafted Josh.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

Zero to do with the draft?  Are you serious?  Ever heard of Josh Allen?  You don't think this team is a perennial playoff team now and SB contender because it drafted Josh Allen early?  I mean you can't be serious.  

How many games do we win last year if Tyrod was our QB?  How about in 2022?  Does Tyrod put up 9 TD's in 2 games in the playoffs in 2021?  I mean Josh Allen has the most TD's in NFL history in his first 6 seasons.  

We win because of Josh.  We drafted Josh.  

The McBeane regime drafted Josh...

Just now, Figster said:

The McBeane regime drafted Josh...

yeah...the draft.  You said it had zero to do with the draft...and now you are saying it was the draft.  

You are making no sense man, no offense.  Again, your proposal is just not a good one nor will it ever switch to that.  The NFL is actually one of the best sports leagues right now of where teams can make significant turnarounds in short windows because of how FA and the Draft work.  I mean just look at the Texans (and a bunch of other teams too) as an example.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

yeah...the draft.  You said it had zero to do with the draft...and now you are saying it was the draft.  

You are making no sense man, no offense.  Again, your proposal is just not a good one nor will it ever switch to that.  The NFL is actually one of the best sports leagues right now of where teams can make significant turnarounds in short windows because of how FA and the Draft work.  I mean just look at the Texans (and a bunch of other teams too) as an example.  

I'm saying it was our GM and HC that changed everything not WHERE we picked in the draft. Same can be said for the Lions.

Comprende?

Edited by Figster
  • Disagree 1

1 minute ago, Figster said:

I'm saying it was our GM and HC that changed everything not WHERE we picked in the draft.

Comprende?

Hahahaha come on dude.  McD and Beane are NOT on the field actually playing.  So stop, without drafting Josh Allen early this team is nothing compared to what its has been.  

Where would the Texans be right now if they didn't get draft Stroud and someone like Dallas did instead because of your crazy reverse way of doing the draft order?  Probably still a 1-3 win team instead of a playoff team last year.  

Lol...sorry man, no disrespect, but not only is this idea just bad, your defense of it is making even less sense.  

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Hahahaha come on dude.  McD and Beane are NOT on the field actually playing.  So stop, without drafting Josh Allen early this team is nothing compared to what its has been.  

Where would the Texans be right now if they didn't get draft Stroud and someone like Dallas did instead because of your crazy reverse way of doing the draft order?  Probably still a 1-3 win team instead of a playoff team last year.  

Lol...sorry man, no disrespect, but not only is this idea just bad, your defense of it is making even less sense.  

Making yourself look a little out of touch with the thread discussion.

No worries, its all good...

Do you know what the Texans and Bills had in common for the quick turn around? (Aside from great play at the QB position.)

New blood/ new GM in 2021, new HC last season

Edited by Figster

19 minutes ago, Figster said:

Making yourself look a little out of touch with the thread discussion.

No worries, its all good...

Yeah all good for sure :beer:

But you’re not addressing any of my questions either so none of what you’re saying is making any sense to me.  

All good, just this seems like a quick way to eliminate the quick turn around opportunities for teams at the bottom  

• Like (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Yeah all good for sure :beer:

But you’re not addressing any of my questions either so none of what you’re saying is making any sense to me.  

All good, just this seems like a quick way to eliminate the quick turn around opportunities for teams at the bottom  

Thanks man

The biggest problem I have with how the draft order is determined is we are sending the best players to poorly managed and coached teams. Its a recipe for failure IMO.

Edited by Figster

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Fan in San Diego said:

How about giving the bottom 5 teams a $10,000,000 fine for sucking. That counts against the cap.

Interesting idea to combat tanking.

Also sends a clear message to the owners - Hey guys and gals, do something different because what you are doing isn't working. Fix it, or sell to someone who can.

Edited by Figster

2 hours ago, Figster said:

I'm saying it was our GM and HC that changed everything not WHERE we picked in the draft. Same can be said for the Lions.

Comprende?

Why did the Pats suddenly become a bottom feeder team with the same GM/HC?

Why did the Bucs win the Super Bowl with Tom Brady immediately?

Why did the Bills go from a team that needed help on the last game of the season to the make the playoffs as a wildcard to cruising to division titles every year?

it’s a mystery @Alphadawg7

• Haha (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Why did the Pats suddenly become a bottom feeder team with the same GM/HC?

Why did the Bucs win the Super Bowl with Tom Brady immediately?

Why did the Bills go from a team that needed help on the last game of the season to the make the playoffs as a wildcard to cruising to division titles every year?

it’s a mystery @Alphadawg7

Well I can tell you it wasn't from picking our 1st round QB in our designated picking order based on the previous season. We have Bills GM Brandon Beane to thank, not our current draft designation procedure. Pats are in transition. Did their designated draft pick ( Mac Jones ) fix the problem? No, it did not, and Brady is the GOAT

Last season a cruise? Ummm, how about no, and why you might ask. Coaching change ( OC )

Edited by Figster

The draft has to exist in a manner where bad teams get their picks slotted up higher. Is it rewarding a bad season? In a sense yes but I look at it as providing a team that is down on its luck a better chance to improve. Yes it can "reward" mismanaged teams but mismanaged teams bungle top picks so it isn't like a top pick guarantees you anything. I don't think "tanking" is an issue in the NFL as it is the NBA where a singular player can change around a teams fortunes drastically so an organization could conceivably "tank" a season to get a generational prospect. 

In the NFL most teams go into a season trying to be competitive. Even teams with new coaches and GM's who are trying to rebuild still end up attempting to build a decent roster even if they eat a lot of dead cap, trade down for future selections or trade away some of their better players for draft picks. So I don't see there being any issue with the way the draft is currently set up. 

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Figster said:

Well I can tell you it wasn't from picking our 1st round QB in our designated picking order based on the previous season. We have Bills GM Brandon Beane to thank, not our current draft designation procedure. Pats are in transition. Did their designated draft pick ( Mac Jones ) fix the problem? No, it did not, and Brady is the GOAT

Last season a cruise? Ummm, how about no, and why you might ask. Coaching change ( OC )

We have our QB to thank. That we drafted top 7.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

The draft has to exist in a manner where bad teams get their picks slotted up higher. Is it rewarding a bad season? In a sense yes but I look at it as providing a team that is down on its luck a better chance to improve. Yes it can "reward" mismanaged teams but mismanaged teams bungle top picks so it isn't like a top pick guarantees you anything. I don't think "tanking" is an issue in the NFL as it is the NBA where a singular player can change around a teams fortunes drastically so an organization could conceivably "tank" a season to get a generational prospect. 

In the NFL most teams go into a season trying to be competitive. Even teams with new coaches and GM's who are trying to rebuild still end up attempting to build a decent roster even if they eat a lot of dead cap, trade down for future selections or trade away some of their better players for draft picks. So I don't see there being any issue with the way the draft is currently set up. 

thanks for the good input

Does league parody If this is what we are trying to accomplish equate to good entertainment.

Its the collegiate star athlete that suffers the most with our current drafting procedure in my humble opinion.

thanks for the good input

Does league parody If this is what we are trying to accomplish equate to good entertainment.

It’s the collegiate star athlete that suffers the most with our current drafting procedure in my humble opinion.

I think collegiate stars aren’t suffering getting a lot of guaranteed money to play football. Yes ideally you would want top prospects to go to the place best suited to develop them right away but the league has to balance competitive balance with what’s good for the players entering the league.

Overall given what we have seen thus far there’s not really any better system other than the draft in terms of what’s good for the leagues competitive balance and what’s fair for the players.

• Like (+1) 1

Part of football success is management, including player development.  Teams that draft early every year, tend to change their management. Bills fans remain confused by the epic failure of not truly changing their management during the drought era. Most teams (including the current era Bills) are not Russ Brandon level incompetent. No need to worry about "rewarding" poorly managed teams. 

Edited by Chaos
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

These are the QBs drafted #1 overall since  2000 -

2001 - Michael Vick

2002 - David Carr

2003 - Carson Palmer

2004 - Eli Manning

2005 - Alex Smith

2007 - JaMarcus Russell

2009 - Matthew Stafford

2010 - Sam Bradford

2011 - Cam Newton

2012  - Andrew Luck

2015 - Jameis Winston

2016 - Jared Goff

2018 - Baker Mayfield

2019  - Kyler Murray

2020 - Joe Burrow

2021 - Trevor Lawrence

IMO, I see 1 outright bust -- JaMarcus Russell -- and maybe 1 QB who failed primarily because of the team he was drafted by -- David Carr.  Most of the QBs were at least fairly successful NFL QBs even though they generally played for poor teams at the beginning of their careers.

I think your argument for changing the way the NFL draft works is not supported by the facts, so I would "no" to your plan to change the NFL draft.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

On 3/31/2024 at 3:02 PM, Figster said:

Yet no championship until he is traded so go figure...

...Detroit goes further with good coaching then they ever did with Stafford...

Detroit goes a lot further since Sheila Ford Hamp became the principal owner of the Lions in 2020 and replaced Bob Quinn with Brad Holmes as GM in 2021.

The Bills got a lot further when Terry Pegula became the owner of the Bills in 2013 and finally replaced Russ Brandon as head of the organization in 2018.  With Brandon Beane finally given real power as GM, the Bills fired all of their offensive assistants except Daboll and hired a real QB coach for Allen who went from a raw rookie who flashed potential to a pretty good NFL QB in his second year.

On 3/31/2024 at 3:25 PM, Figster said:

Star collegiate athletes probably think the current Drafting procedure is terrible.

I'm just trying to fixit Jay ;  )

If star collegiate athletes don't want to play for the bottom-dweller du jour, they can a) go play in Canada and play for a lot less money until they become NFL free agents or b) go to work in ordinary entry-level jobs like millions of other college drop-outs or grads or c) finish their degrees or go to grad/professinal schools.   Nobody is being forced to play in the NFL for millions of dollars annually.

21 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

No offense... But I can tell football fans.. from people who have been around the game for a long time in a professional standpoint... Paid to coach the game

Josh Allen would certainly be better today if he got to sit and learn behind tyrod Taylor or Ryan Fitzpatrick for a year or two... Josh Allen is a Hall of Fame quarterback with some quirks that still pop out under duress... Sitting and learning on the bench helps alleviate those quirks... Mahomes had quirks... Sitting for an entire year help his muscle memory... Helped eliminate quarks under pressure... Josh didn't eliminate those .. he still one of the best quarterbacks in the world... But reverts to bad quirks under pressure... You can really alleviate that with time which he didn't get... Manning didn't get it either and he's one of the best ever.. Brady did get it and he's better

Jared Goff didn't get sacked 70 times as a rookie and get his brain scrambled.. he was behind a good yet old school NFL coach... Jeff Fisher maybe wasn't ready for the new school of the NFL... Certainly knows the psyche behind developing a young player

Peyton Manning had 28 interceptions as a rookie that doesn't mean he was ruined... Because he was getting raised the correct way to know that's not an issue... The support to keep him positive... You're on a bad team 28 interceptions is okay

And Jared Goff is average , certainly not an NFL superstar... So a number one pick who is supposed to be in All pro... Has became an average NFL quarterback Due to circumstances

Patrick mahomes... Was passed on by 9 NFL teams... Tyreek Hill called him trash as a rookie... But he got to learn the NFL game from the bench... Behind a pro bowl quarterback... And the best quarterback coach of the last 30 years

And he developed beautifully because he wasn't thrown to the fire... 

Getting thrown to the fire is the death sentence of a young NFL quarterback... If you can survive being thrown to the fire as a QB you're basically an NFL Hall of famer

Andrew Luck was "thrown into the fire" and led the Colts to the playoffs as a rookie.   He led the Colts to the playoffs every season that he played most of the season.  His career was shortened by injury, which could be attributed to the Colts' failure to give him a better OL, but not by not by starting as a rookie.

You don't know that Allen would have been better if he sat his entire rookie season.  IMO, many of Allen's problems, especially early on, were psychological and mental.  He did need to sit for a while as a rookie, but what he really needed, was a real QB coach not some guy who had 1 year of QB coaching experience at a college some 20 years before.  The Bills remedied that in 2019, and Allen made massive improvements during his sophomore season and continued to get better.

7 hours ago, Figster said:

ZERO...

Perpetually losing teams result from issues with ownership IMO.   See my reply above about the Lions and the Bills.  

6 hours ago, Figster said:

Comprende?

What owners want from their team and how they go about achieving their goals determines whether a team is a perpetual loser or a team that gets better.   FTR, under Ralph Wilson as owner and Russ Brandon as defacto owner, the Bills seldom re-signed their best home-grown talent and used the draft to fill the holes that resulted by letting their best players walk in free agency or by trading them away.  

When Pegula finally fired Brandon in 2018 and gave Beane full GM powers (including control of coaching payroll budgets), the Bills truly began their ascent in the AFC.

If Brandon was still in charge, Allen wouldn't have reached his full potential until he was playing for another team.

Edited by SoTier
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SoTier said:

These are the QBs drafted #1 overall since  2000 -

2001 - Michael Vick

2002 - David Carr

2003 - Carson Palmer

2004 - Eli Manning

2005 - Alex Smith

2007 - JaMarcus Russell

2009 - Matthew Stafford

2010 - Sam Bradford

2011 - Cam Newton

2012  - Andrew Luck

2015 - Jameis Winston

2016 - Jared Goff

2018 - Baker Mayfield

2019  - Kyler Murray

2020 - Joe Burrow

2021 - Trevor Lawrence

IMO, I see 1 outright bust -- JaMarcus Russell -- and maybe 1 QB who failed primarily because of the team he was drafted by -- David Carr.  Most of the QBs were at least fairly successful NFL QBs even though they generally played for poor teams at the beginning of their careers.

I think your argument for changing the way the NFL draft works is not supported by the facts, so I would "no" to your plan to change the NFL draft.

You expect 1st overall draft picks to become Champions when teams draft them. 10% of this list did. Eli bucked the draft system and Stafford waited for years until traded to the right team. 

You expect 1st overall draft picks to become Champions when teams draft them. 10% of this list did. Eli bucked the draft system and Stafford waited for years until traded to the right team. 

That's nonsense.  QBs play for teams, the make-up of which is controlled by other people.   Moreover, winning a Super Bowl, especially when a team gets into the playoffs, is often dependent upon things totally out of the QB's control like injuries, penalties, defensive plays, special team plays, and good or bad luck.

• Thank you (+1) 1