The 2024 UFL Thread

1 hour ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

At first I thought the entire XFL and the entire USFL combined to make a big league. That would be much cooler. Still, the games yesterday were pretty good. I have enjoyed it

Only 4 franchises from each former league survived the merger, but they could be reactivated later 

Punter to center TD earlier game today was cool.

Vinny Papale just scored a nice toe drag drag TD. Son of Eagles great Vincent Papale.  Had no clue his son was a pro football player. CFL, Spring League and USFL.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Jerry Jabber said:

Wade Phillips got a Defenders TD reversed by challenging a play, by which the RT moved early. TD was called back and the Defenders got a False Start penalty. 

The same RT got ejected on that play for spitting on the opponent.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Jerry Jabber said:

Currently watching the DC Defenders vs the San Antonio Brahmas. Wade Phillips is the Brahmas HC and Gregg Williams is the DC for the Defenders. 

Brahmas look decent, they had a nice trick play on a punt where the punter threw a 40yd TD pass. 

There are some things I like this league. You get to hear the refs and coaches talk a lot more. The Defenders HC was blasting his WR after a key drop. Coaches can challenge any play (don’t know how many challenges they get per game?)

Would be awesome if the NFL had the same system

Based on this opening weekend, the merger seems to have been good for the quality of play.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

TBS has The Replacements and Water Boy back to back today.

might as well watch those 2 for your spring  ball fix… 

"There's a lot of pain and shame in those eyes"

• Like (+1) 1

Any official and unofficial attendance figures? 

I am expecting XFL to cite ticket sales but many may not be used as has happened in past in alternate leagues.

Cameras by broadcasters appeared to avoid showing sections of stadiums with few fans but I only saw FOX since I do not pay for ESPN.

Neilson numbers may be more important to keep broadcasters continuing to show games.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/ufl-attendance-gets-off-to-so-so-start

UFL attendance gets off to so-so start

(NBC is not broadcasting partner so do not expect soft treatment)

UFL’s debut had so-so attendance, to no surprise. Via Mike Mitchell of SI.com, the opening game between the Birmingham Stallions and the Arlington Renegade attracted 14,153 fans.

The second game, featuring the Michigan Panthers hosting the St. Louis Battlehawks, drew 9,444 to Ford Field.

NFL analyst points out reasons for "so-so" attendance at UFL season opener

https://www.sportskeeda.com/nfl/news-nfl-analyst-points-reasons-so-so-attendance-ufl-season-opener

The official attendance figure for the UFL’s opening game at Choctaw Stadium between the @USFLStallions and @XFLRenegades is 14,153.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Punching Bag said:

Neilson numbers may be more important to keep broadcasters continuing to show games.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/ufl-attendance-gets-off-to-so-so-start

UFL attendance gets off to so-so start

(NBC is not broadcasting partner so do not expect soft treatment)

UFL’s debut had so-so attendance, to no surprise. Via Mike Mitchell of SI.com, the opening game between the Birmingham Stallions and the Arlington Renegade attracted 14,153 fans.

The second game, featuring the Michigan Panthers hosting the St. Louis Battlehawks, drew 9,444 to Ford Field.

NFL analyst points out reasons for "so-so" attendance at UFL season opener

https://www.sportskeeda.com/nfl/news-nfl-analyst-points-reasons-so-so-attendance-ufl-season-opener

The official attendance figure for the UFL’s opening game at Choctaw Stadium between the @USFLStallions and @XFLRenegades is 14,153.

St. Louis had huge numbers last year. Wait until their home opener. But UFL aren't going to go above 20K on average. 

Ever watch Tuesday/Wednesday MACtion college games on ESPN? Most nights they barely have a hundred people in the stands.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

St. Louis had huge numbers last year. Wait until their home opener. But UFL aren't going to go above 20K on average. 

Ever watch Tuesday/Wednesday MACtion college games on ESPN? Most nights they barely have a hundred people in the stands.

I have never watched a full college game and never went to games when I went to UB.