Spanish Galleon "San Jose" about to be salvaged...$20 Billion in gold/silver/emeralds

1 hour ago, Poleshifter said:

2000 feet deep, though. Yikes.

I think that’s why the US recovery crew/contractor is making a partial claim to it. Pretty specialized chore. Not sure the Columbian Navy is up to the task. 

this is a  very cool story worth following. My interest perked up when I read that Bolivians were laying some claim. Being they are now a land locked country there has got to be an interesting backstory to that alone for starters.

The BLING though. I want to see the jewelry that can be recovered. The Gold. I want TREASURE mateys. I also do care who gets to eventually lay claim to it. Or will they settle . Or is it recoverable at all.

Pretty cool find fergy. Not bad.  I'll lurk to read the aftermath. Peace Out. m

EDIT: I did read to the end and they gave Bolivian back story. Interesting claim but I think they get squat.

Edited by muppy
  • Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, muppy said:

this is a  very cool story worth following. My interest perked up when I read that Bolivians were laying some claim. Being they are now a land locked country there has got to be an interesting backstory to that alone for starters.

The BLING though. I want to see the jewelry that can be recovered. The Gold. I want TREASURE mateys. I also do care who gets to eventually lay claim to it. Or will they settle . Or is it recoverable at all.

Pretty cool find fergy. Not bad.  I'll lurk to read the aftermath. Peace Out. m

EDIT: I did read to the end and they gave Bolivian back story. Interesting claim but I think they get squat.

I’d also like to see what coins and jewels they bring up. Even the cups and saucers look pretty cool. Will check back with updates as it progresses. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

I think that’s why the US recovery crew/contractor is making a partial claim to it. Pretty specialized chore. Not sure the Columbian Navy is up to the task. 

I thought the 'Columbian Navy' was a euphemism for private carriers trading in illegal cargoes.

36 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

The other “found on the ocean floor” thread has more but this one will involve math too.  The are going to have calculate trajectories, pressure, etc. and then do a LOT of counting.

This could easily go over 100 pages. There will be pirates, lasers, submarines and docudramas. 

The first question is - Is this really a ship or a coral reef that looks like a ship?

On 3/18/2024 at 11:34 AM, BringBackFergy said:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2024/mar/18/san-jose-shipwreck-recovery

Who owns it? 

Columbian Navy?? LOL 

The British sank the ship, so as successor to Britain, the US should own it.

All kidding aside, this is some pretty cool stuff.

Is it in Corps of Engineers jurisdiction waters?

drops-mic-obama.gif

• Angry 1

1 minute ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Not like it won't happen anyway.😉😜

If anyone doesn’t know, Exiled fancies himself the protector of our natural resources (ie fresh water); yet, he single-handedly polluted a pristine swamp near the Calumet with some old leather and a few drops of diesel. He’s no longer qualified to render an opinion on this recovery effort. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Augie said:

When they say it’s not about the treasure, it’s always about the treasure. 

This reminds me, I didn’t win the Powerball. Again. 

Mega millions tonight!

35 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Mega millions tonight!

I have all the tickets I need to be amazed yet again at how incredibly hard that is to win. Hell, I could have a page full of tickets and hit on a single “22”. YAY!   😂 

2 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

If anyone doesn’t know, Exiled fancies himself the protector of our natural resources (ie fresh water); yet, he single-handedly polluted a pristine swamp near the Calumet with some old leather and a few drops of diesel. He’s no longer qualified to render an opinion on this recovery effort. 

Thou protest too much

"Pristine" & "Calumet River" were never used in conjunction... Ever. 

Even the natives dragged their canoes through here, making ruts, and when filled w/water when rains came, the first canals were born.  They polluted with stuff like carcasses of animals, etc...

There's probably lead all over that Spanish Galleon. 

#LearnYourHistory

2 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Thou protest too much

"Pristine" & "Calumet River" were never used in conjunction... Ever. 

Even the natives dragged their canoes through here, making ruts, and when filled w/water when rains came, the first canals were born.  They polluted with stuff like carcasses of animals, etc...

There's probably lead all over that Spanish Galleon. 

#LearnYourHistory

Lead? Lead??

A natural element. 
This Galleon has gold, silver and other natural resources. 

Is RoundUp a natural resource?? Thx ACOE!!!

• Eyeroll 1

4 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

Lead? Lead??

A natural element. 
This Galleon has gold, silver and other natural resources. 

Is RoundUp a natural resource?? Thx ACOE!!!

We stopped using that in 2016 after the big law suit. Now we let a private contractor handle it. 😆 

Plutonium & uranium are  natural elements too. 😆

All kinds of toxic natural elements.