Free agency tracker

• HappyDays changed the title to Free agency tracker
1 minute ago, Aussie Joe said:

$100m for three years for Baker … seems a good deal for the Bucs 

I'd say it puts them firmly in QB purgatory...they are committed to a guy who's at best a top 12-14 QB in the league.  Maybe good enough to win the woeful NFC South, but that's the limit.

• Eyeroll 1

1 minute ago, mannc said:

I'd say it puts them firmly in QB purgatory...they are committed to a guy who's at best a top 12-14 QB in the league.  Maybe good enough to win the woeful NFC South, but that's the limit.

Committed ? They can move on from him in 1 year if they need to..

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Aussie Joe said:

Committed ? They can move on from him in 1 year if they need to..

I didn't read the details, but $50 million guaranteed suggests more than a one-year commitment.

• Like (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, mannc said:

He might be a top 5 QB in the NFC though....

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4
  • Dislike 1

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

When he's on, I agree. My biggest complaint about Mayfield has always been his week to week consistency. He goes on streaks where he plays amazingly well and then riffs off a few weeks where he looks like Trent Dilfer. 

For what the Bucs are investing, it's seems to be a good deal for them and very sensible for Mayfield. Good for both sides.

• Like (+1) 5

14 minutes ago, Punching Bag said:

An incentive based contract where he could make more would make more sense based on his history.

What other options did the Bucs have though to be exerting leverage? 

Pay more for Kirk Cousins in FA?

Try and get up from the mid 20s to draft a new guy?

in all likelihood they have Baker on the ( relative) cheap for two more years … they probably aren’t winning the SB in that timeframe … I think we all agree on that … but they have shown in 2023 they are good enough to keep winning their putrid division ..

They need to be taking a shot on a Round 3-4 guy this year … then get more serious if need be next year if Baker and the new guy aren’t it 

Edited by Aussie Joe

18 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Off the top of my head, I'd rather have Stafford, Purdy, Love, Prescott, Murray and maybe Hurts.  But Baker is probably the best QB in that sinkhole known as the NFC South, at least for now...

Edited by mannc

4 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Sure, if they don’t mind paying him $50M for that one season. 

Denver would love to be in such a position!

Yeah it’s unlikely they eat $25m in dead cap next year … but not impossible .. more than likely they would keep him on as a back up even if they found a new guy in this years draft 

Edited by Aussie Joe

6 minutes ago, mannc said:

Off the top of my head, I'd rather have Stafford, Purdy, Love, Prescott, Murray and maybe Hurts.  But Baker is probably the best QB in that sinkhole known as the NFC South, at least for now...

I'd deduct Murray but accept the other five. 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, bills6969 said:

Wow Baker cashing in.  Saved his career this year.  Went from a prove it or lose it deal to 100m contract.

I feel less bad for him now.  Can go back to not liking him.