D.Henry to Free Agency & BUF News Makes Case to Sign Him

11 hours ago, JohnNord said:

I’m not so sure that Henry will settle for $4M contract or downgrading himself to a reserve role.  In his mind, he’s still going to want carries.  Not only won’t he get that in the Bills offense, he’s also going to need to share carries with James Cook.  I just don’t see it happening, though I wouldn’t hate it if he came on board 

Yeah, this.

10 hours ago, Búfalo Blanco said:

No disrespect to Henry.. he’s a future Hall of Famer.

But there are sooo many areas with more need and limited cap space for the team.. and Henry may get 7-8 million or more per year (just a guess). Regardless, cap space that can go to a top #2 WR, one or two good defensive linemen, or multiple options in the secondary should be highly preferable here. 

Get a bigger goal line RB with one of those extra late round picks.. So many options for much cheaper RBs, who can still help significantly.. 

And yup, this too.

If they want a basher, I'd like to see Dillon from the Packers here, if his salary asks aren't too high.

• Like (+1) 1

There was a whole several page conversation about this recently, but...

Suffice it to say that in my opinion, Derrick Henry is going to command too large a contract and too many snaps for it be feasible or logical of the Bills to sign him.

Cook had the type of season last year that warrants another year of being RB1. You don't spend the money Henry will command to bring in an RB2, nor will Henry want to be that.

I think signing a veteran (think D'onta Foreman, Antonio Gibson, Clyde Edwards-Helaire, or re-signing Ty Johnson) and drafting a kid late is the way to go. No giving big money to Derrick Henry and cutting into James Cook's snaps.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Finally. Someone thinking logically and schematically! 

The problem isn't the logic of whether he'd be good for us on the team or not.

The problem is with the logic of everything else - him choosing us at a reduced role and a reduced price when he doesn't have to settle for either and has other playoff contenders who will give him both. 

Even then, that "reduced" price is probably 3-4x what we've paid for that role in the past, when we were in a more questionable position than we're in at now with RB1, are in worse shape cap wise, and there's many more less expensive options than in other years.

We're still over the cap and the only thing we can guarantee will be done by the time FA starts is the Josh Restructure. The lack of logic that we'll get into a Bidding War and pay much more than is necessary for the role we have and that Henry will have to settle for it far outweighs the logic of whether he's a good scheme fit or not.

Much like a lot of your posts, I'd be happy if this is something Beane chose to do. It's just a matter of not "logically" believing it's something that he would do.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

44 minutes ago, NewEra said:

In round 2?  He’s not dropping til the 4th

My thought is Braelon Allen. A very similar runner to Henry in terms of size and play style, although less of a Receiver. He'll be available later than Benson and is someone we interviewed at the Combine.