Dan Marino lists top QBs of all time; Kelly makes list

Nephilim17

Not news we can use but nice and interesting to see. I don't hear Jim's name come up in this convo outside of some fans here.

"To me, [Joe] Montana and [John] Elway, Jim Kelly -- those guys, all those guys," Marino told Sports Illustrated before Super Bowl LVIII. "Patrick Mahomes, he's going to be considered one of the best ever, too. You got Tom Brady, you got a lot of guys. So, there's a lot to pick from there."

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/dolphins-legend-dan-marino-lists-his-greatest-nfl-quarterbacks-of-all-time-one-surprising-name-makes-the-cut/#:~:text="To me%2C [Joe],of the best ever%2C too.

• Like (+1) 3

I mean, of course Dan's going to list the guys he played a lot against from his era. It's who he's most familiar with and good friends with to boot. 

Jimbo was definitely one of the best of his era. And that's probably the most accurate ways to rank QBs. By era and not all-time IMO. 

• Agree 8

Marino is probably a bit biased, because Kelly's Bills routinely eliminated Marino's Dolphins from the playoffs.

When thinking about the guy who was one of the biggest reasons you never won a Lombardi, it's probably more palatable to label him "one of the best ever" 😋

But in all seriousness, Kelly's in the Hall of Fame for a reason. Simply looking at his (or any 90s QB's) stats through the context of today's statistical production doesn't really paint a clear picture. The league was very different back then.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4

2 minutes ago, Logic said:

Marino is probably a bit biased, because Kelly's Bills routinely eliminated Marino's Dolphins from the playoffs.

When thinking about the guy who was one of the biggest reasons you never won a Lombardi, it's probably more palatable to label him "one of the best ever" 😋

But in all seriousness, Kelly's in the Hall of Fame for a reason. Simply looking at his (or any 90s QB's) stats through the context of today's statistical production doesn't really paint a clear picture. The league was very different back then.

Correct.  Would the 90s zebras make up a truck rule to allow Teflon T*m to  get away with as much stuff?  No.

Toms.jpg

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I still don't think people realize how amazing Marino putting up 5,084 yards and 48 passing TDs in the 1984 NFL was. Absolutely mind boggling stuff.

Anway...give Dan Marino the Marks brothers and a good o-line in the 2024 NFL and he's going for 6,000 yards and 65 TDs.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Logic said:

I still don't think people realize how amazing Marino putting up 5,084 yards and 48 passing TDs in the 1984 NFL was. Absolutely mind boggling stuff.

Anway...give Dan Marino the Marks brothers and a good o-line in the 2024 NFL and he's going for 6,000 yards and 65 TDs.

He did it in an era when defenses could actually play defense unlike today where the rules favor the offense.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

8 minutes ago, Gregg said:

He did it in an era when defenses could actually play defense unlike today where the rules favor the offense.

Absolutely. He averaged 317 yards and 3 TDs a game over 16 games. He had 16 more touchdowns than the guy closest to him on the list that year! Despite throwing so frequently and scoring so much, he also finished with the league's second best completion percentage (64.2%) and best QB Rating (108.2).

Again, compared to modern numbers, none of those statistics may look particularly impressive. But in that era of run-run-pass and of defensive players mauling quarterbacks and receivers, it was an absolutely astonishing season.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

They are good friends and Kelly beat the brakes off him more often than not.  Kelly is one of the main reasons Marino didn't win a Super Bowl.  This make complete sense coming from Dan.  Kelly would say the complete opposite.  He'd have Dan on his list for sure and I think Kelly would even say that, as great as he was, he's not in that top 5 range all time.  I mean, he's already said on multiple occasions that Allen is already better than he was and Allen still has a decade (we can hope) of Bills football ahead of him.  

All that said, it is literally impossible to compare QBs of different eras.  It was a totally different game in the 80s and 90s.  Not saying it is better or worse, but the game has changed dramatically.  

Edited by sven233

It almost seems that the rivalry that use to be way back in the day between the Bills & Dolphins has been kind of forgotten. I remember how much Bills fans use to hate them back when the saying of "Miami's got the oranges but we got the Juice" was all the rage .

It use to be a game that Bills fans always looked forward to & loved to hate on the Fins but not so much any more, but the game has changes immensely back then it was real players would try to actually hurt players on the other team & even though there may be some dislike now it's no where near what it use to be .

Marino is a HOF er for good reason the guy could sling it & just like Kelly it sucks that neither of them have a Lomabardi to call their own !! 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Billl said:

Fun fact:  Jim Kelly was more than a year older than Josh is today when he played in his first postseason game.

AND Josh is 20 years younger than Peyton Manning. Manning won his first SuperBowl in 2006-2007.

You see where I am going, do the math AND if we fail there, we got John Elway to compare Josh to. 😆 

16 minutes ago, T master said:

It almost seems that the rivalry that use to be way back in the day between the Bills & Dolphins has been kind of forgotten. I remember how much Bills fans use to hate them back when the saying of "Miami's got the oranges but we got the Juice" was all the rage .

It use to be a game that Bills fans always looked forward to & loved to hate on the Fins but not so much any more, but the game has changes immensely back then it was real players would try to actually hurt players on the other team & even though there may be some dislike now it's no where near what it use to be .

Marino is a HOF er for good reason the guy could sling it & just like Kelly it sucks that neither of them have a Lomabardi to call their own !! 

The rivalry with the Dolphins cooled after the Kelly-Marino years with the Bills going into their 17-year playoff less streak. Also, the Dolphins weren't all that great either and then the Pats were dominating the division. But now I would say the rivalry is heating up again. Both teams are good as they met in the 2022 playoffs and battled for the division last year on the final Sunday of the regular season.

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Billl said:

Fun fact:  Jim Kelly was more than a year older than Josh is today when he played in his first postseason game.

And started his first couple of years as a professional quarterback in the USFL.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.