How did we not win a superbowl?

Awwufelloff

1 hour ago, H2o said:

The Chiefs have two, the Rams, and the Bucs who beat the Chiefs in the SB. We have lost to our arch nemesis (KC) in the Playoffs three times in there, with all three times them ending up in the SB. The other loss was to the Bengals, who lost to the Chiefs the following week. Regular season point differentials mean nothing. 

H2o, although I agree with the essence of your argument the way you outlined it, I found an inaccurate fact in your statement of "all three times...", given that after '13 seconds', KCY fell to CIN in the AFCChG... the other two (2020 ad 2023) they did avance to the SB, however, when they did in 2020, they LOST to TBY, and this comes to my mind because I had previously thought that, whenever they beat us, in playoffs before, they lost the "next game", and that would become a curse, for this SB58 only that this time...the spell was broken...and they won in a Hollywood-esque mode... 

2 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

This has been hashed and rehashed in countless threads since we were eliminated. In the end it came down to the same fatal flaw that doomed the 49ers on Sunday. You simply cannot give the ball back to Mahomes when he knows what he needs to win the game. The 49ers shouldn’t have kicked the field goal and neither should’ve the Bills attempted one. But sadly….we never seem to learn. 

This is so true! I heard a stat on one of the shows that’s just astounding. When faced with 1 minute or less time at the end of playoff games QBs are collectively 40% successful in getting enough points to either tie or win. Brady was 46% which is pretty good. Brees was 50% which would lead all QBs if Mahomes wasn’t in the league. Mahomes is 100%! 7 for 7 in those situations. One of those was the 13 sec. That is just too unbelievable. That’s why teams need to milk all the time in the end to score last. That’s the best way of beating Mahomes and KC. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Patrick Fitzryan said:

The Chiefs have been down by double digits in all four of their Super Bowls and came back to win three of them. How do the Bills react when they're down in games? Do we keep our cool and stick to the plan, or do we panic a little bit?

We're essentially front-runners; this stat proves it. When things are going well, they go REALLY well. When we face a little adversity, ehhhh...

I disagree with this. Over that same timeframe, the Bills have, from memory, one regular season and one playoff game where they lost by more than 1 score. How many times have we watched Allen lead the team to what should have been the game winning score with less than 2 minutes left on the clock only to choke the lead away. We lose those games because the defense constantly comes up small in big situations.

1 minute ago, transient said:

I disagree with this. Over that same timeframe, the Bills have, from memory, one regular season and one playoff game where they lost by more than 1 score. How many times have we watched Allen lead the team to what should have been the game winning score with less than 2 minutes left on the clock only to choke the lead away. We lose those games because the defense constantly comes up small in big situations.

In the Houston game we got the ball on the 50 yard line with a little over a minute down 3. We kicked a 47 yard field goal to go to OT. We then failed to score on our first  OT drive. In the most recent KC game we were down 3 and we attempted a 44 yard field goal and missed. In 13 seconds we had multiple drives that should have ended the game. 

Are we front runners? Sure. We are built to defend the pass. It can be an avalanche when teams can no longer be balanced against us. We have no victories in the playoffs in which we were down more than a TD. Our defensive system + lack of diversity in it has performed very poorly against the better QB's in the playoffs.

I guess my question would be we are currently 0-3 in winning close games late so why should we believe we can do so if it occurs again in the playoffs? That is with the assumption the defense can even put us in such a position which hasn't always been the case. Various reasons why we are 0-3 but the fact remains that is the record and nearly every element of our team has had some level of influence in why that is.

21 minutes ago, 90sBills said:

This is so true! I heard a stat on one of the shows that’s just astounding. When faced with 1 minute or less time at the end of playoff games QBs are collectively 40% successful in getting enough points to either tie or win. Brady was 46% which is pretty good. Brees was 50% which would lead all QBs if Mahomes wasn’t in the league. Mahomes is 100%! 7 for 7 in those situations. One of those was the 13 sec. That is just too unbelievable. That’s why teams need to milk all the time in the end to score last. That’s the best way of beating Mahomes and KC. 

There's your answer.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, Awwufelloff said:

image0.jpeg

Because the regular season and playoffs are truly a different animal.

And aside from Josh Allen, we have a roster full of guys that seem to shine in the regular season but not the playoffs. Same thing with McDivisional to his credit, easy to beat up on what has been a very poor division after Brady left NE and play all these regular season superbowl games against the Chiefs but only win against marginal NFL starters and backups in playoff games.

But again there's a distinct reason why this team has not been able to beat the Chiefs (and Bengals) in the postseason.

41 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

In the Houston game we got the ball on the 50 yard line with a little over a minute down 3. We kicked a 47 yard field goal to go to OT. We then failed to score on our first  OT drive. In the most recent KC game we were down 3 and we attempted a 44 yard field goal and missed. In 13 seconds we had multiple drives that should have ended the game. 

Are we front runners? Sure. We are built to defend the pass. It can be an avalanche when teams can no longer be balanced against us. We have no victories in the playoffs in which we were down more than a TD. Our defensive system + lack of diversity in it has performed very poorly against the better QB's in the playoffs.

I guess my question would be we are currently 0-3 in winning close games late so why should we believe we can do so if it occurs again in the playoffs? That is with the assumption the defense can even put us in such a position which hasn't always been the case. Various reasons why we are 0-3 but the fact remains that is the record and nearly every element of our team has had some level of influence in why that is.

Since 2020, the only 2 games they were down by more than a TD in were against KC in the AFCCG, where KC was head and shoulders the better team that season, and the Bengals game, which you could tell the week before when they played Miami that they were going to lose.

The constant in the other losses has been a defense that couldn’t close the deal. The Houston game they gave up 19 pts in a quarter and a half, including 2 successful 2 pt conversions. The KC games they were a seive. Even if they had scored in the most recent KC game, which the offense did their part to get them well within FG range, do you have any sense their defense would have held?

My issue with the idea that they’re front runners is that it suggests they can’t respond to adversity in a game they could win. I think they can respond, and have responded in games in the past, but that their response is always one sided. They always seem to do enough offensively to keep the games from getting out of hand and putting themselves in a position to win. 

Thinking about it as I type this… I could be persuaded that they have a front-running playoff defense… when things are good they’re very good… when things are bad, or when they turn bad, they’ve basically been a no show with no hope of getting THE stop they need to slam the door shut. 

2 hours ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Because we didn't draft good enough guys on the DL and Andy Reid knows McDermott inside and out and knows how to attack him.  McDermott needs to let the new DC implement HIS system and stay out of it.  If you keep doing the same things expecting the same results, its insanity.  Changes MUST be made.

Much Better draft picks on the DL,  WR and in the secondary along with a change in systems will make a huge difference.  You can't keep coming at KC with the same old **** year after year.

Nah.

The DL was indeed a problem. Von simply wasn't himself after the injury. Same with DaQuan. Floyd, who's been great, was either injured or had dead legs the last few games. He wasn't himself either. Rousseau's been a damn good pick. Epenesa was solid too. Not Basham so far, that's for sure. But they've had good and bad picks. You're unlikely to get elite pass rushers when you're picking in the late 20s. It happens, but not all that often.

And if your DL is under-manned, you'd better be healthy and have your LBs all ready to ... oops. Both starters couldn't go a single snap because of injuries.

And it's not that Reid knows how to attack him. If he did, they'd have killed the Bills in the first half. That's not what happened. They adapted, figured out where the weak injury replacements were and still didn't run away with it.

And they haven't made bad picks in the secondary. One that looks bad so far, though it's too early to say so far. Several excellent. Dane Jackson in the 7th was really good, Benford in the 6th was a terrific bargain (his injury hurt a ton).

This was a defense that was gutted with injuries.

2 hours ago, Blackbeard said:

Dude you can't even spell Mahomes.  What do you know about coaching and GM'ing?

Christ.  But lets can the coach.  

LMAO, how many SBs have we lost since McD has been here. Zero cause we can;t even make a SB. We are being outcoached by a coach who has a lot more experience and has been through it all already. 

Also Beane and McD have focused more on the D side of things to much and it cost us opportunities where the focus should of been a little heavier on offensive weapons

I never said fire McD I gave a reason for our ineptitude and thats the reason we haven't made a SB with Allen yet.

Also who the ***** care about mis-spellings

1 minute ago, ddaryl said:

LMAO, how many SBs have we lost since McD has been here. Zero cause we can;t even make a SB. We are being outcoached by a coach who has a lot more experience and has been through it all already. 

You're right. 

We should definitely be making sb appearances every single year.  

LOWER YOUR EXPECTATIONS.  

And learn to spell ;)

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Blackbeard said:

You're right. 

LOWER YOUR EXPECTATIONS.  

And learn to spell ;)

We haven't made a single appearance and Allen has been playing at the top of the game

I'll let the rest of the Bills fans here deal with "LOWER YOUR EXPECTATIONS" comment.

3 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

I never said fire McD I gave a reason for our ineptitude and thats the reason we haven't made a SB with Allen yet

You sure starting mostly third string talent on defense due to injury wasn't a smoking gun?   You sure luck with draft picks wasn't it either?  Or personnel performance?

Tired of these anti McD homers.  

3 minutes ago, Blackbeard said:

You're right. 

LOWER YOUR EXPECTATIONS.  

And learn to spell ;)

44 years with 0 Lombardi's for myself, not sure how much lower you think our expectations should be

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, transient said:

Since 2020, the only 2 games they were down by more than a TD in were against KC in the AFCCG, where KC was head and shoulders the better team that season, and the Bengals game, which you could tell the week before when they played Miami that they were going to lose.

The constant in the other losses has been a defense that couldn’t close the deal. The Houston game they gave up 19 pts in a quarter and a half, including 2 successful 2 pt conversions. The KC games they were a seive. Even if they had scored in the most recent KC game, which the offense did their part to get them well within FG range, do you have any sense their defense would have held?

My issue with the idea that they’re front runners is that it suggests they can’t respond to adversity in a game they could win. I think they can respond, and have responded in games in the past, but that their response is always one sided. They always seem to do enough offensively to keep the games from getting out of hand and putting themselves in a position to win. 

Thinking about it as I type this… I could be persuaded that they have a front-running playoff defense… when things are good they’re very good… when things are bad, or when they turn bad, they’ve basically been a no show with no hope of getting THE stop they need to slam the door shut. 

So if you know that, and I know that, and everyone knows that, can you explain why our coaching staff goes for the deep ball to Shakir instead of methodically controlling the ball, taking four downs to pick up 10.1 yards and keeping your undermanned defense on the bench? It’s still a real head scratcher to me. The Bills worked the ENTIRE season to be right they were late in the fourth quarter, at home, in the playoffs, against the Chiefs…and then….you know the rest. 

18 minutes ago, transient said:

The Houston game was on the offense every bit as much as the defense. Allen was tight as a drum and gave in to his heroball tendencies. Had some genuinely good moments. And a few horrible as well.

In 2021 nobody had figured out how to stop high-flying offenses like the two in those games. KC's D couldn't do anything either. If we'd won that coin flip we'd have won the game. Defenses simply hadn't figured out how to do anything much against those new-look groups.

Defenses have caught up over the past couple of years and are making it a lot more difficult.

2022 wasn't on the defense, especially. The whole team played like someone slipped Ambien in their Count Chocula. The offense too.

This year the D played pretty decent for the guys they were forced to play. The offense played better, but certainly not great. Took what KC gave them but couldn't really break through and make any big plays.

Edited by Thurman#1

3 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

I'll let the rest of the Bills fans here deal with "LOWER YOUR EXPECTATIONS" comment

You act like NOT making the super bowl yearly is unreasonable bro.  

News Flash:  IT'S NOT.  

Its HARD AS ***** making it there.  It's UNreasonable to think you'll get there yearly.   

It's the goal.  But it's not reasonable to think we get there every single year.  And if we don't, it's FIRE MCD!!!!!

I don't know WHY i  bother arguing with such moronic opinions.

Allen is playing golf in the off season.

FIRE MCD NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Blackbeard

9 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

So if you know that, and I know that, and everyone knows that, can you explain why our coaching staff goes for the deep ball to Shakir instead of methodically controlling the ball, taking four downs to pick up 10.1 yards and keeping your undermanned defense on the bench? It’s still a real head scratcher to me. The Bills worked the ENTIRE season to be right they were late in the fourth quarter, at home, in the playoffs, against the Chiefs…and then….you know the rest. 

Personally, I think they started that drive thinking they’d need to score twice more to win. Eating 8+ minutes of clock is a lot to ask. I think the 60 yd bomb to Diggs was meant as a quick strike to allow them time after KC scored on them. When they got down to 2 minutes they were kind of in no man’s land. That’s why I think they went for the TD to Shakir when they did. Then a FG doesn’t beat you and MAYBE there’s time left after if (when) KC scores… and maybe, however unlikely, McDermott coaches his ass of on defense for 1 drive and they cook up something unexpected to get THE stop. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.