Get excited... change is NOW with a youth wave!!!

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Nah I am really not. 

I I'd just rather move on now than try and force it to work this year and potentially have a guy hobbling around out there again.

When’s the latest they can realistically make the call to cut Von  during the preseason ? I think you probably give him as much time as possible first to see if he has shown any improvement 

11 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

When’s the latest they can realistically make the call to cut Von  during the preseason ? I think you probably give him as much time as possible first to see if he has shown any improvement 

I think the remaining unguaranteed element of his 2024 salary guarantees if he is on the roster on the third day of the league year. So they have to make the decision before OTAs and minicamps. 

EDIT: I expect the Bills to keep him. It just isn't the move I'd make and my suspicion is they will end up regretting it. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

There really are no nasty ramifications though. The money they are on the hook for next year they are on the hook for if they cut him today, on 1 June or after next season. The question is just do you pay him $23m to be here or do you pay him $16m not to be here and pocket the difference for a player who contributes more. 

And I don't consider Tre an underperforming player. The last game he played for the Bills was literally one of the best 5 performances in his career here. Okay, it took him 8 or 9 games to round back into top form after his last injury and now he has another injury to try and bounce back from but I still think there is a lot of good football left in Tre and at even 80% of his best he is the best corner on the Bills. 

There really is nasty ramifications. Releasing him this offseason would incur a 17.08 dead cap hit this season and a 15.417 dead cap hit next season as well. We'd take on over 32 in Dead Cap and save 6.7 on a post 6/1 cut. Meanwhile, in keeping him, we could take on just 15m dead cap next season and save 8.5 in 2025.

So we'd be eating 32m in dead cap and saving 6.7 cutting him this year or eating 15m in dead cap and saving 8.5 next year. It's really a no brainer.

Compounding the issue is the fact that, as opposed to CB, we're razor thin at DE. Cutting Miller would leave us with just Greg Rousseau, Kingsley Jonathan, and Kameron Cline under contract. 

And if you want to make it about cap space to spend on DE and damn the repercussions next year - there's actually a way to save 12m this year prior to 6/1. And it involves keeping him. It isn't advised, but neither is cutting him:

While there is at least a case for the Bills to still restructure Diggs’ deal, there isn’t a compelling argument to do so for Miller. Like Diggs, restructuring Miller’s deal could yield nearly $12 million in cap space this year, but the Bills would be signing up for another year on a massive cap hit for a player in his age-36 season in 2025 — and that’s not even factoring in his non-existent production this past season. Miller likely is going to be back with the Bills in 2024 by default of having a massive cap hit, massive dead cap and an empty defensive end room. But in the 2025 offseason, if the Bills keep Miller’s contract as is, they could save $8.5 million on that year’s cap. The Bills should preserve that no matter what this offseason because it can help their cap be far healthier in 2025 and beyond.

You want to make it as simple as "cut Von now and save 6.7m". It's not. There's a reason why this is only something that's talked about as a possibility by fans. 

It's simply not going to happen. And if it's about getting money for his replacement this year and putting blinders on to repercussions - it still makes more sense to keep him. 

• Disagree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I expect the Bills to keep him. It just isn't the move I'd make and my suspicion is they will end up regretting it. 

They will only regret it if some vet edge player signed after June 1 becomes a productive member of another team. If it was a matter of cutting him to save $6.7 million in cap space right away I might agree with you. Doing it to save $6.7 million in June makes no sense to me.

I really hope they can get him to agree to a reworked contract, let him keep his money this year but reduce the cap hit of keeping him or cutting him in 2025 and tell him he'll be cut right away if he doesn't agree. If he doesn't agree then sure, cut him, otherwise the threat is toothless.

1 hour ago, transplantbillsfan said:

It wasn't just 8 or 9 games to round back into form after his last injury.  It was 6 games and then an entire offseason and then however many games in 2023 you would argue it took him in 2024.

Von now has an entire offseason to get his body right and recover.

You're actually convincing me even more that cutting Von simply won't happen.  It's clear you think it's strictly his age as the reason he's "shot."  You've hitched your wagon to that idea, and that's fine.

Brandon Beane signed him to a contract that very clearly intended to keep him for at least 3 years, plus the previous restructure.

Von Miller is not getting cut.  He'll have the offseason to recover and get right and then we get to see what percent of the old Von he is in 2024.

I'm just not sure what it is that would make you feel confident enough at this point in his career he can return to perform very much better than some of the younger guys

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't dispute the final point - to be clear. But Von is toast. I'll happily eat crow if he isn't but I put the chances he is back at less than 5%. 

I also don't have any issue moving on from both. But I'd probably try and find a pay cut I can live with for Tre first.

Yeah I think so too. Think probably at this point they'd end up better off to move on

• Disagree 1

1 hour ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

There really is nasty ramifications. Releasing him this offseason would incur a 17.08 dead cap hit this season and a 15.417 dead cap hit next season as well. We'd take on over 32 in Dead Cap and save 6.7 on a post 6/1 cut. Meanwhile, in keeping him, we could take on just 15m dead cap next season and save 8.5 in 2025.

So we'd be eating 32m in dead cap and saving 6.7 cutting him this year or eating 15m in dead cap and saving 8.5 next year. It's really a no brainer.

Compounding the issue is the fact that, as opposed to CB, we're razor thin at DE. Cutting Miller would leave us with just Greg Rousseau, Kingsley Jonathan, and Kameron Cline under contract. 

And if you want to make it about cap space to spend on DE and damn the repercussions next year - there's actually a way to save 12m this year prior to 6/1. And it involves keeping him. It isn't advised, but neither is cutting him:

You want to make it as simple as "cut Von now and save 6.7m". It's not. There's a reason why this is only something that's talked about as a possibility by fans. 

It's simply not going to happen. And if it's about getting money for his replacement this year and putting blinders on to repercussions - it still makes more sense to keep him. 

giphy.gif

6 minutes ago, Patrick Duffy said:

I'm just not sure what it is that would make you feel confident enough at this point in his career he can return to perform very much better than some of the younger guys

Because he always has.

He was still playing at an extremely high level in the 10 games he played in 2022 at age 33.

If we get 80% of that 10 game in 2022 Von Miller, it's better than "some of the younger guys."  And who exactly are "some of the younger guys" you're referring to?

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

They will only regret it if some vet edge player signed after June 1 becomes a productive member of another team. If it was a matter of cutting him to save $6.7 million in cap space right away I might agree with you. Doing it to save $6.7 million in June makes no sense to me.

I really hope they can get him to agree to a reworked contract, let him keep his money this year but reduce the cap hit of keeping him or cutting him in 2025 and tell him he'll be cut right away if he doesn't agree. If he doesn't agree then sure, cut him, otherwise the threat is toothless.

You only need that person to be more productive than Von. And if as I suspect Von will be little better next year than this that isn't a very high bar at all.

• Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

But the dead money next year is already factored in. Because they are on the hook for that anyway and if the plan was, as everyone has pretty much concluded it was, to cut him after 3 years of the deal then the ONLY ramification to next year is you cut him now and all $15m of that is on 2025's cap whereas if you cut him after next season you have the ability to spread that over two years. But you are still on the hook for all that money. It has already been paid. Von has it in his bank. The Bills have to account for every dollar of it and have been planning on that basis. 

And the $17m in dead cap this year if you cut him is $17m you are accounting for whether he is here or not. 

So the question remains have him at nearly $24m and him be here or have him at $17m and not be here and have $6.7m to spend on an alternative who can be more productive. 

If you think Von can bounce back and produce sure it is a no brainer to keep him but if as I do you think he is toast it is equally a no brainer to cut him. 

• Disagree 1

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

But the dead money next year is already factored in. Because they are on the hook for that anyway and if the plan was, as everyone has pretty much concluded it was, to cut him after 3 years of the deal then the ONLY ramification to next year is you cut him now and all $15m of that is on 2025's cap whereas if you cut him after next season you have the ability to spread that over two years. But you are still on the hook for all that money. It has already been paid. Von has it in his bank. The Bills have to account for every dollar of it and have been planning on that basis. 

And the $17m in dead cap this year if you cut him is $17m you are accounting for whether he is here or not. 

So the question remains have him at nearly $24m and him be here or have him at $17m and not be here and have $6.7m to spend on an alternative who can be more productive. 

If you think Von can bounce back and produce sure it is a no brainer to keep him but if as I do you think he is toast it is equally a no brainer to cut him. 

But as the other poster said at one point, cutting Von means you have to replace him.  And not just with a single $6.7 million DE.  You'd be cutting a rostered DE after having already paid him all that money and would leave yourself with only Player X who replaces Von, Kline, and Groot.  You need at least 2, probably 3 more rosterable DEs on this team.

And again... you've already paid Von a ton of money, so if there's any thought he can be a value to the roster as a contributor, it doesn't make much sense to cut him.

25 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

But as the other poster said at one point, cutting Von means you have to replace him.  And not just with a single $6.7 million DE.  You'd be cutting a rostered DE after having already paid him all that money and would leave yourself with only Player X who replaces Von, Kline, and Groot.  You need at least 2, probably 3 more rosterable DEs on this team.

And again... you've already paid Von a ton of money, so if there's any thought he can be a value to the roster as a contributor, it doesn't make much sense to cut him.

Oh come on. Did you focus on him? Von was no better than a pet rock out there this entire season. Just because you’re paying him it doesn’t mean he has to take up one of the very limited roster spots. He did nothing! 

25 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Because he always has.

He was still playing at an extremely high level in the 10 games he played in 2022 at age 33.

If we get 80% of that 10 game in 2022 Von Miller, it's better than "some of the younger guys."  And who exactly are "some of the younger guys" you're referring to?

I just think he may be at that point in his career that this time may be different. And yes I agree he did play well those 10 games in 2022 at 33yo. Now this is 2024 and age 35. May not seem like much, but those 2 years from 33 to 35 can be a bigger difference than it seems. Don't get me wrong, I hope he does but I just have my doubts.

The younger guys I was thinking of was obviously AJE, Kingsley played hard when he got opportunities

20 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Incorrect. Here's the very definition of Dead Cap:

"Dead cap is money that is on your cap for a player who is not on your team. It is almost always money (usually signing bonus) that the team already paid the player but did not account for on the salary cap. It could also be guaranteed salary that the team still needs to pay for a player who they cut."

That 17m Dead Cap is not sitting on the table now. It only comes into factor if we release him with a Post 6/1 designation. Here's the chart and who we're accounting for in Dead Money:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/#

There's a reason that this contract was always looked at as a 6 year deal that's really only a 3 year deal. The out comes in 2025. Anything before that and you're cutting off your nose to spite your face.

If it's really this simple, then why does every capologist say we're essentially stuck? That it would cost us way more to cut him than keep him for one more year?

7 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Oh come on. Did you focus on him? Von was no better than a pet rock out there this entire season. Just because you’re paying him it doesn’t mean he has to take up one of the very limited roster spots. He did nothing! 

Not true in his last 2 games.

Even Joe Marino in his All-22 review of the KC game said Von was one of the best defenders on the field that game.

And Joe has said all season that Von should have been inactive because of his lack of contribution.

11 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Incorrect. Here's the very definition of Dead Cap:

"Dead cap is money that is on your cap for a player who is not on your team. It is almost always money (usually signing bonus) that the team already paid the player but did not account for on the salary cap. It could also be guaranteed salary that the team still needs to pay for a player who they cut."

That 17m Dead Cap is not sitting on the table now. It only comes into factor if we release him with a Post 6/1 designation. Here's the chart and who we're accounting for in Dead Money:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/#

There's a reason that this contract was always looked at as a 6 year deal that's really only a 3 year deal. The out comes in 2025. Anything before that and you're cutting off your nose to spite your face.

If it's really this simple, then why does every capologist say we're essentially stuck? That it would cost us way more to cut him than keep him for one more year?

The $17m IS sitting on the table right now. He is being paid it to be here. It is the guaranteed portion of his 2024 salary. He would be paid it if he was not here also but then it would be dead money. But he is being paid it anyway. The question is do you pay him $6.7m more.

If you are on about the $15m - my pojnt there is the Bills have known about that dead money since they did the restructure. They likely planned to cut bait after 2024 anyway - a 5 year year deal that was really a 3 year deal so that $15m has already been baked into their plan. The only thing they lose by cutting him a year ahead of plan is the ability to split that $15m over two years of cap.

Edited by GunnerBill

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

The $17m IS sitting on the table right now. He is being paid it to be here. It is the guaranteed portion of his 2024 salary. He would be paid it if he was not here also but then it would be dead money. But he is being paid it anyway. The question is do you pay him $6.7m more.

If you are on about the $15m - my pojnt there is the Bills have known about that dead money since they did the restructure. They likely planned to cut bait after 2024 anyway - a 5 year year deal that was really a 3 year deal so that $15m has already been baked into their plan. The only thing they lose by cutting him a year ahead of plan is the ability to split that $15m over two years of cap.

Everything I've read everywhere does not ascertain your statement that we'd save money cutting him this offseason. I've not found one article or post that says we'd be better off doing it this year.

With how he performed last year and our cap situation this year, if it were really as simple as cut him and save 6.7m with no other ramifications, everyone would say do it.

No one does. Just you and some other fans on the board. I'll go with the actual experts, who are trying to find any possible way to save anything and never list cutting Von. I don't think it's as simple as you and others are making it out to be. Or else it would be a no brainer.

EDIT: Okay, i've found something. And again, it doesn't support your idea that it's a good call to cut him now, explaining why no one recommends doing it.

Overthecap says Post 6/1 2024 - 17m in Dead Cap, 6.7 in cap savings.

Post 6/1 2025 - 6.37m in Dead Cap, 17.5 in cap savings

That's why you don't do it this year. You're paying 17m in Dead Cap for 6.7 in savings wherein next year, you're paying just 6.37 for 17.5 in savings.

In the long run, you're essentially paying 11m to cut him now and create another hole.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Your last point, I think is the primary issue.  $15m next year would be a HUGE hit. 

I think we get better "value" keeping him this year, vs a replacement at $6.7m.  And as mentioned, more importantly we can spread $15m dead cap over 2 years.

People forget we signed Floyd for $7-8m against the cap (forget exact #), but built in a deap cap for this year.  Beane isn't going to double up the problem by cutting Von and doing a similar Floyd signing.  

Better alternative is doing a Floyd type signing and keep Von.  Financially we can do that

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Tre White is still the best corner on the Bills. I don't think it is close. Even if he can only get back to 80% I'd take him over the other guys.

Not even close? This is just factually wrong. We got the exact comparison you're making just last season. Tre White was at least at 80% last season. And that best game you talk about? It wasn't better than Douglas' best game. The games that weren't that game, he wasn't playing at the level that Douglas was for us prior to going down in Miami.

He didn't fully return to form with any sort of consistency before the Achilles injury. And now he'll be coming back from that too. He's a complete question mark at this point. There's no saying he'll even be 80% of what he was. It's incorrect to say that he was better than Douglas last year and insane to say he definitively will be when he returns.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I think the remaining unguaranteed element of his 2024 salary guarantees if he is on the roster on the third day of the league year. So they have to make the decision before OTAs and minicamps. 

EDIT: I expect the Bills to keep him. It just isn't the move I'd make and my suspicion is they will end up regretting it. 

I agree, they will end up regretting it. If they think Von somehow bounces back this fall they're dreaming. Release him and wear it. Spend the 6.7 toward DQ and draft DE.  

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Not even close? This is just factually wrong. We got the exact comparison you're making just last season. Tre White was at least at 80% last season. And that best game you talk about? It wasn't better than Douglas' best game. The games that weren't that game, he wasn't playing at the level that Douglas was for us prior to going down in Miami.

He didn't fully return to form with any sort of consistency before the Achilles injury. And now he'll be coming back from that too. He's a complete question mark at this point. There's no saying he'll even be 80% of what he was. It's incorrect to say that he was better than Douglas last year and insane to say he definitively will be when he returns.

Not trying to get all up in you guys conversation, but just wanted to say Benford is emerging as the best corner imo. Of course you can't leave out T. Johnson either

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.