Our Window Is As Open As Ever

Bills!Win!

9 hours ago, Low Positive said:

Joe Burrow said that the window in Cincinnati is open for his entire career. Nobody questions that. Is that not true for Josh too?

Not everyone aggrees with Joe regarding Joe. 

13 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

I’m wondering though, if we take on a he dead cap, if the deal would be more reasonable for the new team…

The Bills would automatically get hit with the dead cap from unamortized money they already paid Diggs. Nothing can be done about that.*

Dead money can also come from future guarantees, but that’s if a player is cut. The new team would assume that cap hit in a trade. 

*Technically the exception is if the player would pay money back, which almost never happens.

9 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

I do think it is funny. I've heard so many of the talking heads predict that our window is closing, or that our window is closed now. Many of these talking heads predicted our window would be shut this year. Quite a few predicted the Bills would miss the playoffs and when we were 6-6 they most have been jumping for joy at their prognostication skills. 

How in the heck can a team's window ever be closed with JA as the QB? The Bills lost in the weirdest of ways to mediocre/bad teams this year, not once, or twice but three times and still found a way to win the division and finish as the 2 seed. While missing their best defensive player. The Bills are not going anywhere anytime soon. 

Yes.  The Bills window will remain open as long as Josh Allen is playing at this level.

The only question is... how long can he continue playing at this level?

We aren't talking about a pocket passer who drops to the ground whenever a hit is coming.  That's a major reason Tom Brady was able to continue playing strong well into his 40s.  No, we are talking about a QB that plays like a fullback half the time, and has no problem stiff-arming Defensive Linemen and running over Linebackers.  That physical style is bound to catch-up at some point.

Early this year, we saw what happens when Allen stops running, and it's not good.  The Bills aren't a hugely explosive offense.  But the reason they are consistently Top 5 in the NFL is because of their high 3rd-Down conversion rate and effectiveness in the Red Zone.  They get that edge from Allen's legs.  Take it away, and they become inconsistent.

My belief is that Allen is more Brett Favre/Ben Roethlisberger than he is Cam Newton.  So when his mobility eventually breaks down later in his career, he will still be a very good passer in the NFL.  But will he still be great?  That's the concern.  Big Ben had big stats and kept making the Pro Bowl throughout his career.  But he won his last Super Bowl at 26 years old.

13 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

I do think it is funny. I've heard so many of the talking heads predict that our window is closing, or that our window is closed now. Many of these talking heads predicted our window would be shut this year. Quite a few predicted the Bills would miss the playoffs and when we were 6-6 they most have been jumping for joy at their prognostication skills. 

How in the heck can a team's window ever be closed with JA as the QB? The Bills lost in the weirdest of ways to mediocre/bad teams this year, not once, or twice but three times and still found a way to win the division and finish as the 2 seed. While missing their best defensive player. The Bills are not going anywhere anytime soon. 

Exactly. The Colts with Peyton were never a dynasty. But they were a damn good team for a long time that won one Super Bowl and two AFC titles. I'll be happy if the Bills achieve the same. The AFC is so QB dominant right now. Expecting more than 1 Super Bowl ring probably isn't realistic. 

honestly, some sarcasm on my part. If we have the best qb and are settling for sneaking by some day - it’s better than never winning but it’s a bummer as an aspirational goal 

if we get to 2 SB and win 1 that would kind of be where I want the absolute floor to be with this type of qb. 

Edited by NoSaint

9 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

That worst Chiefs team in recent history about to win the SB bro 

Not sure if they’ll win. SF is a tough team. But the fact that this underwhelming KC team made it to the Superbowl is really saying something.

Bills really shiet the bed. Inexcusable loss at home like that. Hope Bills fans stop with the regular season jubilation next season if they beat KC again. Those wins are meaningless. All about the playoffs.

On 2/4/2024 at 3:36 PM, Steptide said:

They won't trade Diggs, and shouldn't. I'd still give him another year or 2, especially if there's more talent around him 

Diggs's cap number is $28m for 2024 (over 10% of the team cap) , Von is $24m.   Von is old and beat up and can't really be traded, Diggs has good value and can be traded.  Beane needs to kick the can down the road and take an even bigger hit late or trade him now.  Its not personal, its just business (Cap business) .  Is what it is.  

As long as we have Josh we have a chance. However the horrible contracts for Von Miller, Dawson Knox, Tyler Bass, Tre White (unfortunately now a bad contract post injury, hope he heals well) and Stefon Diggs will make 2024-25 a very difficult season. We need to hit on our draft picks.

On 2/4/2024 at 11:03 PM, Low Positive said:

Joe Burrow said that the window in Cincinnati is open for his entire career. Nobody questions that. Is that not true for Josh too?

It's as true for Josh and Burrow and it was for Ben, Rivers, Brees and Rodgers.

Which means it really isn't.

Where there's smoke... there's Beane!

Giants Trade Pitch Flips Dexter Lawrence for $96 Million WR (msn.com)

I'd make this trade 100%!

Just now, Dillenger4 said:

Where there's smoke... there's Beane!

Giants Trade Pitch Flips Dexter Lawrence for $96 Million WR (msn.com)

I'd make this trade 100%!

It's all over the interwebs:

dexter lawrence trade for Diggs - Search (bing.com)

How to paste a link? Anyway, google it... it's out there. Would be a whopper of a trade!

Dexter, a second round pick and a 5th round pick for Diggs and our 6th round pick.

Hmmm.....

On 2/4/2024 at 1:36 PM, Steptide said:

They won't trade Diggs, and shouldn't. I'd still give him another year or 2, especially if there's more talent around him 

Diggs clearly wants out. He knows they wont trade him if is playing at the elite level we are accustom to. So he dialed back his effort the last 10 weeks to  make himself look like he has lost a step. He clearly was not catching balls he normally does and you can see in his body language that he was not giving his all. People all thought he was injured but he was never on any injury report. He lost his love for playing in Buffalo and he wants a reset somewhere else. I say they give it to him and trade him for his worth. He still is a great receiver and is unstoppable when motivated enough. You can get good value for him so its time to part ways with him. We don't want someone on our team that doesn't want to be here. 

On 2/4/2024 at 11:03 PM, Low Positive said:

Yes, as long as Josh is a Buffalo Bill, our window is open.  It's no different than GB with Rodgers, Indy with Manning, etc...

Will there be down years? Absolutely! Will we make the playoffs every year? Hopefully but things happen. Will we win the division every year? No, probably not.... But is the window open? YES!

Lots of things contributed to us not getting to the big game this year, and in years past, just like 30 other teams... But when you have a supremely talented top 3 NFL QB, you're always in the conversation.   The bigger question is can they retool the roster this year without breaking out back in future years, while still putting players around Josh to remain atop the division?   I'd say I Doubt it, but Miami is in Cap hell too and their foundation isn't as solid as ours... The Jests, I mean how good are they really with Rodgers? We don't know... NE...well... NVM about NE.

In 2024, no matter what we should be a WC contention team, and If Miami steps back like we will, were still the team to beat inth East.... The goal is to make it to the tournament, after that all beats are off!

But to recap, our "core": Josh, Diggs, Cook, Kincaid, Shakir, the Online, Milano, Oliver Bernard, Douglas, Johnson... Those are a solid foundation and make us top 7 in the AFC discussion regardless. 

The question for 24 is how good can we be based on the build around these guys and not screw us in years to come.

Can we get lucky where our new pieces out perform their salaries/draft statuses and help Josh carry this team?   We'll see...

But with Josh you ALWAYS have a shot...

There are degrees to everything. As long as you have a Franchise QB window remains open while they are in their prime. How open varies from season to season. I think we will need to re-tool the roster and move on from some of the high priced Vets on team. So essentially going forward with a youth movement and dealing with the growing pains while still trying to make another run.

Legitimate question.  How did we get here?  What tremendous swings did we take to go “all in”?  Miller, ok, that was a giant swing and a miss because of the injury.  Diggs?  He’s produced and has been paid accordingly.  Am I missing something?  The Rams went “all in” and won a Super Bowl.  What did we get?  The fuzzy end of the lollipop.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.