Commanders Hire Dan Quinn as HC

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

He was in Seattle for a cup of coffee.  He parlayed that 2 years into a HC job, got to the SB, orchestrated a legendary Defensive flop and then sunk the franchise.  His Cowboys Defense gave up 48 points to Love's Packers.  Before that, his team was bounced by the 49ers 2 years in a row (Garoppolo, Purdy).

Lots of guys have rings.  Belichick has 8.  He's unemployed.  Quinn was not the Commanders 1st choice obviously.

John Lynch built the 49ers.

We're not getting anywhere.  Especially if you're going to diminish all of Quinn's accomplishments, for some strange reason, and focus solely on his failures.

Right.  John Lynch did it all by himself.  No help, guidance or suggestions anywhere along the way.  

12 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

We're not getting anywhere.  Especially if you're going to diminish all of Quinn's accomplishments, for some strange reason, and focus solely on his failures.

Right.  John Lynch did it all by himself.  No help, guidance or suggestions anywhere along the way.  

Well, his successes have come when he was a DC, not as (defensive) HC.  He's replacing another former DC, also a guy "with a ring", who also got a team to the SB--then crashed and burned it and got fired, who was also on his 2nd HC stint despite all of that......and failed miserably. 

And... Quinn is going into the most unfavorable situation possible for a previously failed HC--he has no QB, a terrible run game, the worst passing game in the NFL ,the Defense is the worst in the NFL.  He has 1 player who is a legit threat (McLaurin).

Remember when Joe Schoen "helped Beane build the Bills"? How's that working out for the Giants?  The current 49ers were built by Lynch and Shanahan---this is accepted fact everywhere.  If Peters learned something while under their employ--great.  But there's no reason to assume that this will make him fit to overhaul the roster of a bad team with a culture of losing--despite a new owner (ask Carolina how that's going).

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Well, his successes have come when he was a DC, not as (defensive) HC.  He's replacing another former DC, also a guy "with a ring", who also got a team to the SB--then crashed and burned it and got fired, who was also on his 2nd HC stint despite all of that......and failed miserably. 

And... Quinn is going into the most unfavorable situation possible for a previously failed HC--he has no QB, a terrible run game, the worst passing game in the NFL ,the Defense is the worst in the NFL.  He has 1 player who is a legit threat (McLaurin).

Remember when Joe Schoen "helped Beane build the Bills"? How's that working out for the Giants?  The current 49ers were built by Lynch and Shanahan---this is accepted fact everywhere.  If Peters learned something while under their employ--great.  But there's no reason to assume that this will make him fit to overhaul the roster of a bad team with a culture of losing--despite a new owner (ask Carolina how that's going).

He has McLaurin and Dotson at WR.  Brian Robinson, Gibson and Rodriguez Jr is a legit RB trio. The most cap room in the league and the #2 pick in the draft (likely Drake Maye).

Seems like a prime situation to mold a franchise. 

• Disagree 1

14 hours ago, ControllerOfPlanetX said:

Maybe he was the only coach willing to move there.

Could be.. He was quite the star football player and track athlete at Salisbury State U.. which is only a couple hours away on the Eastern Shore of Maryland.

To me, Quinn is not a bad choice.  The ownership group wanted someone with previous head coach experience.  From everything you read and hear, Quinn is a solid guy who is smart and definitely a leader of men.

The stuff coming out now about Ben Johnson is interesting.  Good X's and O's guy but apparently a poor interviewer and lackluster personality.  Does not command a room at all.   

On 2/2/2024 at 4:01 PM, Chicken Boo said:

He has McLaurin and Dotson at WR.  Brian Robinson, Gibson and Rodriguez Jr is a legit RB trio. The most cap room in the league and the #2 pick in the draft (likely Drake Maye).

Dotson? He wasn't great as a rookie and got worse this year. Overhyped. Overdrafted. 

And those are three good #2 backs. Sadly 3x #2 does not a #1 make. 

They have cap room and the #2 pick. And almost no players. They have two DTs and McLaurin. The rest of the roster is bad.

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Dotson? He wasn't great as a rookie and got worse this year. Overhyped. Overdrafted. 

And those are three good #2 backs. Sadly 3x #2 does not a #1 make. 

They have cap room and the #2 pick. And almost no players. They have two DTs and McLaurin. The rest of the roster is bad.

They have exactly what the majority of this board was once clamoring for, a committee - and it works.

Dotson is a fine receiver.   Both he and McLaurin suffered with Howell as QB.  

Edited by Chicken Boo
  • Disagree 1

On 2/2/2024 at 11:01 AM, Chicken Boo said:

Quinn had Ryan, Julio Jones, Calvin Ridley, Austin Hooper, Devonta Freeman....... and still finished 7-9.  Twice.

27 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Quinn had Ryan, Julio Jones, Calvin Ridley, Austin Hooper, Devonta Freeman....... and still finished 7-9.  Twice.

After that Super Bowl, that team and Quinn's tenure was toast.  They were never going to recover from that.  

54 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

After that Super Bowl, that team and Quinn's tenure was toast.  They were never going to recover from that.  

he coached for 3 more years--that was the record for those last two years.  This guy had all the weapons he will never have in DC....still he flopped.

9 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

New owners, same ol Washington Football Team.

Somewhere today (Cowherd?) I heard Johnson responded or leaked that they seemed like a bunch of basketball people who didn’t know as much about football as they thought they did.   😂 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Augie said:

Somewhere today (Cowherd?) I heard Johnson responded or leaked that they seemed like a bunch of basketball people who didn’t know as much about football as they thought they did.   😂 

haha saw that upthread.

Commanders fans seem to be saying the issue is that Snyder's right hand-man, Jason Wright, is still employed. Kinda like when the Pegulas came in and kept/promoted Russ Brandon.

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

haha saw that upthread.

Commanders fans seem to be saying the issue is that Snyder's right hand-man, Jason Wright, is still employed. Kinda like when the Pegulas came in and kept/promoted Russ Brandon.

THAT is not a culture you want to continue, for sure. 

22 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

he coached for 3 more years--that was the record for those last two years.  This guy had all the weapons he will never have in DC....still he flopped.

We get it.  You don't like him and think it was a bad hire.  

Time will tell, right?

6 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

We get it.  You don't like him and think it was a bad hire.  

Time will tell, right?

I don't know him.  I'm sure he's a nice man.

But yes I think, based on his previous work in a far more advantageous situation, he's a bad hire. 

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I don't know him.  I'm sure he's a nice man.

But yes I think, based on his previous work in a far more advantageous situation, he's a bad hire. 

And he may be.  I see it as a different scenario than his first stint.  I think he's earned a 2nd shot and we'll see where it goes.

He might have a Pete Carroll like resurgence, from the *Patriots to the Seahawks.  Not likely, but it could happen.  

Edited by Chicken Boo

23 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

And he may be.  I see it as a different scenario than his first stint.  I think he's earned a 2nd shot and we'll see where it goes.

He might have a Pete Carroll like resurgence, from the *Patriots to the Seahawks.  Not likely, but it could happen.  

What do you base your faith in his ability to do this new job well, given what you know his past?  Why was it a good hire, not a bad one?

4 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

What do you base your faith in his ability to do this new job well, given what you know his past?  Why was it a good hire, not a bad one?

Above all, I have a good feeling about Adam Peters at GM, which makes me less skeptical about the hire of Quinn.  

I think Quinn showed great judgment delegating offensive responsibilities to Shanahan in Atlanta and I think he's doing it again with Kingsbury. 

Kliff isn't stupid and will get monster production out of Robinson and Pitts, barring injury.

Of course, a lot depends on what they do at QB, which falls on Peters.

I don't know.  Strangely, even to me, it just feels like right.  

52 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

Above all, I have a good feeling about Adam Peters at GM, which makes me less skeptical about the hire of Quinn.  

I think Quinn showed great judgment delegating offensive responsibilities to Shanahan in Atlanta and I think he's doing it again with Kingsbury. 

Kliff isn't stupid and will get monster production out of Robinson and Pitts, barring injury.

Of course, a lot depends on what they do at QB, which falls on Peters.

I don't know.  Strangely, even to me, it just feels like right.  

i admire your confidence.  

We've seen Quinn HC with a stacked roster---to the SB where his D had a historic meltdown, and then to a 3 season tailspin.  All that wasted talent.

And now he's going to have a better outcome on a roster with infinite needs and a rookie QB.  Fields hasn't built a roster. 

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

i admire your confidence.  

We've seen Quinn HC with a stacked roster---to the SB where his D had a historic meltdown, and then to a 3 season tailspin.  All that wasted talent.

And now he's going to have a better outcome on a roster with infinite needs and a rookie QB.  Fields hasn't built a roster. 

I mean in fairness, Shanahan’s offense completely melted down in that second half.

10 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

I mean in fairness, Shanahan’s offense completely melted down in that second half.

nah.  when your Offense spots you a 28-9 lead in the 4th Q and the D allows 25 points to lose the game....that's on the Defense.  1 stop was all they had to produce.

8 hours ago, Roundybout said:

8 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

nah.  when your Offense spots you a 28-9 lead in the 4th Q and the D allows 25 points to lose the game....that's on the Defense.  1 stop was all they had to produce.

There was a lot going on.  The Matt Ryan sack that took them out of field goal range to go up 31-3, I think, was a killer.

They were snapping the ball with 10 or more seconds left on the play clock and they completed abandoned the run after halftime.  Belichick's defense was also lights out that 2nd half.  

It was a collapse of epic proportions.  Still makes me mad.  

Edited by Chicken Boo

10 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

There was a lot going on.  The Matt Ryan sack that took them out of field goal range to go up 31-3, I think, was a killer.

They were snapping the ball with 10 or more seconds left on the play clock and they completed abandoned the run after halftime.  Belichick's defense was also lights out that 2nd half.  

It was a collapse of epic proportions.  Still makes me mad.  

It doesn't matter what BB's Defense did in the second half.  Quinn's D laid down in the 4th Q with a massive lead.  All they needed was a single stop. 

In this year's Cowboys early exit, The Jordan Loves punched Quinn's Dallas D in the mouth from the start and then just pummeled them in a blowout. 

Quinn has coached loaded teams.  Now he is tasked with building one.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.