Doctor Who (Classic)... anyone else a fan?

I am 50 years old and have just started watching Doctor Who. As a kid I could never understand the action when it came on in the early 1980s so I never gave it another thought until it popped up on my Tubi app after watching The Avengers.

I am so happy I did because I LOVE IT!

I originally started with Season 7. Jon Pertwee's Doctor reminds me so much of myself it is quite scary. I have finished Seasons 7-11 and after I went back to Season 4 with the regeneration into the Second Doctor. Yes I know I am all over the place. but I originally didn't think it through because I was not keen on watching the animated season but I changed my mind. Patrick Troughton is a REALLY funny guy... he has some great one liners with the perfect delivery.

Who else is a big fan of Classic Doctor Who?

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Tom Baker's fourth Doctor has always been my 'standard of excellence' in the role.  'City of Death' is a lot of fun, first episode filmed outside of the UK, two notable cameos in it.

I haven't gotten there yet... I stopped at Season 12 just before the Cybermen episodes to go back to the second doctor. 

When I was a little kid in the 80s, I loved the show.  I dont remember much except for the trippy theme song and some robot turret things.

Whenever I needed to take some medicine or get a shot or something, my mom would tell me to "Pretend you are Dr Who" to make me brave and go through with it.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, May Day 10 said:

When I was a little kid in the 80s, I loved the show.  I dont remember much except for the trippy theme song and some robot turret things.

Whenever I needed to take some medicine or get a shot or something, my mom would tell me to "Pretend you are Dr Who" to make me brave and go through with it.

Daleks. They used to be able to get away from them by going up or down stairs. Then one episode. they ran down the stairs and see one at the bottom.The Doctor said "They learned how to  levitate!"

• Haha (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, Wacka said:

They also had it on Retro TV M-F(1 hr)vand Sat (2 hr) but the local Ch 56.2 substation either took that channel off or couldn't afford to carry it.

All of the Classic seasons are on Tubi for free!!! That's where I'm watching. A few of Season 4 episodes are missing, but it's almost complete.

54 minutes ago, Wacka said:

Daleks. They used to be able to get away from them by going up or down stairs. Then one episode. they ran down the stairs and see one at the bottom.The Doctor said "They learned how to  levitate!"

Pertwee HATED the Daleks, made the same kind of comments about their movement.

3 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

My wife is a HUGE fan, I jumped in back when we started dating and really like it. We haven’t seen any of the ‘classic’ doctors, though. 

You must check out the seasons with Doctors Two, Three and Four... Troughton, Pertwee and Baker are GREAT! 

13 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

You must check out the seasons with Doctors Two, Three and Four... Troughton, Pertwee and Baker are GREAT! 

Later Tom Baker seasons are the best of classic Doctor Who.  Still cheesy at times, but enjoyable tripe.  Douglas Adams (HHGG) was a script editor and did rewrites on some scripts.  Bride the First and I were in negotiations over the name of our second child had it been a girl.  She wanted Gretchen, I was lobbying for Romana(dvoratrelundar).  Fortunately, our second child was a boy.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

19 hours ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

I actually thought of a great t-shirt idea... a The Doctor Who shirt with The Who instruments being played by the doctors 😂

There is a fair amount of fan generated Etsy crafts out there, as well as officially licensed merchandise.

• Thank you (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

There is a fair amount of fan generated Etsy crafts out there, as well as officially licensed merchandise.

19 hours ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

I actually thought of a great t-shirt idea... a The Doctor Who shirt with The Who instruments being played by the doctors 😂

I got this at NYCC a few years ago:

Doctor Who / Abbey Road Shirt on Amazon

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Steve O said:

Who's on first, didn't realize he was a Dr.

Rarely during the run of classic Doctor Who did characters ask the line "Doctor Who?"  With the revival in 2005, it seems some minor character is asking it on at least an annual basis.

"What do you mean that's the Doctor?!  Doctor Who?"

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Rarely during the run of classic Doctor Who did characters ask the line "Doctor Who?"  With the revival in 2005, it seems some minor character is asking it on at least an annual basis.

"What do you mean that's the Doctor?!  Doctor Who?"

I finally got to see the scene where the Doctor is "John Smith" when Jamie reads "John Smith & Associates" on a piece of equipment and names him Doctor John Smith! It was from Wheel in Space (Season 5)!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.