Bills need a hardnosed, blunt QB coach

Back2Buff

56 minutes ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

napoleon dynamite GIF
This dude could further help Josh’s mechanics. Worth a shot imho

IDK he's done well for himself.  He married Stiffler's mom for money and was last seen vacationing in Sicily at the White Lotus.  Can't see him moving to Buffalo to work for assistants pay for a lame duck regime. 

uncle-rico-is-greg-from-the-white-lotus-

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

IDK he's done well for himself.  He married Stiffler's mom for money and was last seen vacationing in Sicily at the White Lotus.  Can't see him moving to Buffalo to work for assistants pay for a lame duck regime. 

yea but JA17 can actually throw the rock over them mountains 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

yeah, agreed.  And he needs a top QB coach to develop that.   Or like hire Romo as a film watching consultant.  

Absolutely! More resources for him to lean on would definitely help. Ultimately it’s up to him.  Let’s see what he does this offseason to prepared. 

On 1/29/2024 at 7:55 AM, JustHewIt said:

Why? Is there something wrong with our quarterback that needs tough love? I thought he played pretty damn well after he got out from under whatever Dorsey was coaching him to do.

Maybe you don't watch all the games; he's quite inconsistent and hasn't broken several really bad habits despite being around a while.

He doesn't need a friend as his coach; he needs someone who will improve his game.

You'll recall the Bills aren't playing on Sunday...there's room for improvement everywhere.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, zow2 said:

I agree that Mahomes is ahead but i think it's much more than Reid.  He makes these little decisions during a play that other QBs just screw up or panic about.  

For example, against the Ravens it was a 3rd down around midfield still early in the game.  The edge rusher was right in Mahomes' face so fast on a screen pass.  Most QBs would have thrown it right into the defender for a deflected incompletion or taken a sack. Mahomes calmly lobbed it very high over the edge rusher's arms with nice little touch right to his RB in stride for a conversion and nice gain.  Very underrated stuff like that and it's all Mahomes on instinct,

This is exactly what I see when I watch KC play. Mahomes does this stuff every game it seems. He makes the difficult seems mundane. That’s why he’s the best. 

1 hour ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Again though Mahomes benefited from a shut down defense in the Ravens game.  After going up 17 - 7 how many times did the Chiefs drive the ball?  Mahomes enjoyed a luxury that Allen has rarely enjoyed in the playoffs:  the ability to repeatedly not score points on offense with the expectation that the opponent wouldn't be able to score either. 

This is the first year that KC’s defense has been ‘shut down’. Mahomes has been this way since he stepped on the field. No amount of coaching can instill those kinds of instincts. It’s ok to acknowledge a QB’s greatness even though he’s not a Bill. Root for the Bills to kick his ass when they play but gotta give credit when he’s great. 

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

He also plotted to have said wife killed, and that didn't go well.

He may be spending a long time in jail once the law catches up to him.

PS: loved the hotel manager; sexy as hell.

d3c4424720e0c8aa64f35e28e71f1f51

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, 90sBills said:

This is the first year that KC’s defense has been ‘shut down’. Mahomes has been this way since he stepped on the field. No amount of coaching can instill those kinds of instincts. It’s ok to acknowledge a QB’s greatness even though he’s not a Bill. Root for the Bills to kick his ass when they play but gotta give credit when he’s great. 

Plus Mahomes said after the Baltimore game, his D was playing so well he didn't want to mess it up. He game managed,  and punted rather than doing anything risking a fumble, INT or sack.  I think if KC needed to score 27 to win they would've.  The game scenario didn't call for it.  Smart.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

Maybe you don't watch all the games; he's quite inconsistent and hasn't broken several really bad habits despite being around a while.

He doesn't need a friend as his coach; he needs someone who will improve his game.

You'll recall the Bills aren't playing on Sunday...there's room for improvement everywhere.

Oh cool, I can't wait for the only person to ever have 40+ TDs in four straight years, while leading a top 5 offense, while averaging 12 wins a year, to stop being "quite inconsistent."  As soon as we get that meanie QB coach in here to rough him up a bit he'll surely go for 6000 yards and 60 TDs every year!

Are there some real world examples of this whole hard-nosed yeller vs. friend thing that you all seem so fixated on?  Are you referring to Daboll?  Josh didn't have any more success under Daboll than we did this or last year, going by your metric of "who's playing next Sunday."

We're not playing next Sunday because our D-Line is underwhelming, the middle of our defense was gutted by injuries, and our safeties aren't impact players anymore.  So we gave up 9 yards a play to the best quarterback/play caller in the league and lost.  Of course there's room for improvement everywhere, but this thread is about the (silly and reductive) notion that our QB coach's personality is a serious concern, and that Josh doesn't work or improve because he doesn't have someone in his ear screaming "DON'T THROW AN INTERCEPTION MAN!!!!!!!!!!" 

Maybe it's time to just accept and be happy that he's always going to be a 45 TD/17 Turnover guy, and he'll never reach this pinnacle of perfection that everyone wants.  And you know what?  That's plus his current rate of playoff production is plenty to help win a title.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

5 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

But he's a widow now, he might be looking to rebuild himself.

1 hour ago, JustHewIt said:

Oh cool, I can't wait for the only person to ever have 40+ TDs in four straight years, while leading a top 5 offense, while averaging 12 wins a year, to stop being "quite inconsistent."  As soon as we get that meanie QB coach in here to rough him up a bit he'll surely go for 6000 yards and 60 TDs every year!

Are there some real world examples of this whole hard-nosed yeller vs. friend thing that you all seem so fixated on?  Are you referring to Daboll?  Josh didn't have any more success under Daboll than we did this or last year, going by your metric of "who's playing next Sunday."

We're not playing next Sunday because our D-Line is underwhelming, the middle of our defense was gutted by injuries, and our safeties aren't impact players anymore.  So we gave up 9 yards a play to the best quarterback/play caller in the league and lost.  Of course there's room for improvement everywhere, but this thread is about the (silly and reductive) notion that our QB coach's personality is a serious concern, and that Josh doesn't work or improve because he doesn't have someone in his ear screaming "DON'T THROW AN INTERCEPTION MAN!!!!!!!!!!" 

Maybe it's time to just accept and be happy that he's always going to be a 45 TD/17 Turnover guy, and he'll never reach this pinnacle of perfection that everyone wants.  And you know what?  That's plus his current rate of playoff production is plenty to help win a title.

Well said.

4 hours ago, 90sBills said:

In 2019, 2020 & 2021 Mahomes had access to much better skill players then Allen did.  Big Advantage Mahomes.

In 2022 the KC offensive line was one of the top lines in the NFL and the Bills had one of the worst.  So in the year that the difference between Allen & Mahomes skill player arsenal was fading the Chiefs provided Mahomes with a much better O line then Allen had. Big advantage Mahomes.

In 2023 as the KC O line struggled and their WR's were not very good Mahomes enjoyed the benefits of an elite, shut down defense that unlike previous great regular season Bills defenses continued its high level of play throughout their three playoff games.  Big advantage Mahomes.

And of course over the entire time in which Allen and Mahomes have been competing Mahomes has enjoyed the benefits of having Andy Reid as his coach.  Big advantage Mahomes.

From 2018 through the 2023 season Allen has never enjoyed a better situation then Mahomes. Not once.

On 1/29/2024 at 7:47 AM, Back2Buff said:

With the Bills not learning and just giving Josh what he wants in the OC coach again, they need to find a QB coach that is going to get into Josh's brain.  A guy that has been around for a while, and isn't looking to baby Allen.

One guy I'm wondering if he will do it as a "favor", is Frank Reich.  He obviously doesn't need a job, but wondering if he would come back here to try and get us over the hump.

These last two hires at QB coach, Dorsey and Brady, have been young guys that were looking to eventually be head coaches.  We don't need to go in that direction again.

McDermott will never hire a big name assistant

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

In 2019, 2020 & 2021 Mahomes had access to much better skill players then Allen did.  Big Advantage Mahomes.

In 2022 the KC offensive line was one of the top lines in the NFL and the Bills had one of the worst.  So in the year that the difference between Allen & Mahomes skill player arsenal was fading the Chiefs provided Mahomes with a much better O line then Allen had. Big advantage Mahomes.

In 2023 as the KC O line struggled and their WR's were not very good Mahomes enjoyed the benefits of an elite, shut down defense that unlike previous great regular season Bills defenses continued its high level of play throughout their three playoff games.  Big advantage Mahomes.

And of course over the entire time in which Allen and Mahomes have been competing Mahomes has enjoyed the benefits of having Andy Reid as his coach.  Big advantage Mahomes.

From 2018 through the 2023 season Allen has never enjoyed a better situation then Mahomes. Not once.

Reid definitely maximized Mahomes potential. On the flip side Mahomes catapulted Reid from a perceived ‘choke in big games’ coach to arguably best of all time. 

What I find interesting is through all the times we’ve exchanged posts about Mahomes you’ve never complimented him. Not one time. It’s always about his coaches his weapons his team and whatever else that’s responsible for his success. But never anything acknowledging that he is a special player.

How did you view Brady when he was beating up on the Bills all those years? I always saw and acknowledged Brady’s greatness even though he was not a Bill. It’s the same with Mahomes. I see a lot of Brady’s qualities in Mahomes. I can see and acknowledge Mahomes’ greatness even though he’s responsible for sending the Bills home 3 of the last 4 years. These qualities don’t have anything to do with coaching.

That’s why I disagree with you about Allen having the same kind of success as Mahomes if he’s with KC. Allen would definitely have more success for sure. Most likely win a ring. But not at the rate of Mahomes’ success. There are similarities between Brady and Mahomes that I don’t see from Allen. It doesn’t mean that Allen can’t lead the Bills to a championship one day. I think he will and Buffalo will finally get a Lombardi. But Mahomes is different. 

On 1/29/2024 at 7:47 AM, Back2Buff said:

With the Bills not learning and just giving Josh what he wants in the OC coach again, they need to find a QB coach that is going to get into Josh's brain.  A guy that has been around for a while, and isn't looking to baby Allen.

One guy I'm wondering if he will do it as a "favor", is Frank Reich.  He obviously doesn't need a job, but wondering if he would come back here to try and get us over the hump.

These last two hires at QB coach, Dorsey and Brady, have been young guys that were looking to eventually be head coaches.  We don't need to go in that direction again.

Is there a HC coach who can do for McDermott what you suggest a qb coach can do for allen? 

11 hours ago, 90sBills said:

Reid definitely maximized Mahomes potential. On the flip side Mahomes catapulted Reid from a perceived ‘choke in big games’ coach to arguably best of all time. 

What I find interesting is through all the times we’ve exchanged posts about Mahomes you’ve never complimented him. Not one time. It’s always about his coaches his weapons his team and whatever else that’s responsible for his success. But never anything acknowledging that he is a special player.

How did you view Brady when he was beating up on the Bills all those years? I always saw and acknowledged Brady’s greatness even though he was not a Bill. It’s the same with Mahomes. I see a lot of Brady’s qualities in Mahomes. I can see and acknowledge Mahomes’ greatness even though he’s responsible for sending the Bills home 3 of the last 4 years. These qualities don’t have anything to do with coaching.

That’s why I disagree with you about Allen having the same kind of success as Mahomes if he’s with KC. Allen would definitely have more success for sure. Most likely win a ring. But not at the rate of Mahomes’ success. There are similarities between Brady and Mahomes that I don’t see from Allen. It doesn’t mean that Allen can’t lead the Bills to a championship one day. I think he will and Buffalo will finally get a Lombardi. But Mahomes is different. 

It's a Bills message board so I don't feel there is a requirement to praise Mahomes every time I discuss him.  The bigger question to me is why do so many Bills fans on 2BD nitpick Allen finding fault with so much that he does. 

But for the record I have repeatedly stated that I believe Mahomes is one of the two best QB's in the NFL with the other being Allen.

BTW, I consider Brady to be the GOAT.

And I disagree with you.  There is nothing I've seen in Allen's & Mahomes performances to make me think that if they switched teams Mahomes would do better then Allen in Buffalo or that Allen would do worse then Mahomes in KC. 

1 hour ago, CincyBillsFan said:

It's a Bills message board so I don't feel there is a requirement to praise Mahomes every time I discuss him.  The bigger question to me is why do so many Bills fans on 2BD nitpick Allen finding fault with so much that he does. 

But for the record I have repeatedly stated that I believe Mahomes is one of the two best QB's in the NFL with the other being Allen.

BTW, I consider Brady to be the GOAT.

And I disagree with you.  There is nothing I've seen in Allen's & Mahomes performances to make me think that if they switched teams Mahomes would do better then Allen in Buffalo or that Allen would do worse then Mahomes in KC. 

Even though it’s a Bills message board it’s ok for us to be objective.

We definitely disagree on your last part. I do see a difference between the two. Allen is 2nd best in the league to me. But there’s a gap between him and Mahomes. As there’s a gap between Mahomes and every other qb in the league.

Let’s hope Allen can close that gap in the coming seasons or the early playoffs dismissals will continue. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.