What realistic coaching changes do you expect?

BigBadBills

6 minutes ago, HurlyBurly51 said:

So Washington gets credit for sacks but gets a pass when they underperform.  Gotcha.

Not really. I’m not saying fire the players. They didn’t play well. Ed Oliver was handled by an All-pro OG. 

Firing Washington doesn’t help Oliver defeat Joe Thuney.

If you’re evaluating the coaching staff you don’t just evaluate 1 game. Overall Washington doesn’t deserve to be fired.

7 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Not really. I’m not saying fire the players. They didn’t play well. Ed Oliver was handled by an All-pro OG. 

If you’re evaluating the coaching staff you don’t just evaluate 1 game. Overall Washington doesn’t deserve to be fired.

He's got a veteran group, and I expected more out of Epenesa and Rousseau development, and it certainly was more than one game where they were non-factors.

16 minutes ago, HurlyBurly51 said:

He's got a veteran group, and I expected more out of Epenesa and Rousseau development, and it certainly was more than one game where they were non-factors.

I get wanting the Bills to reach a level of excellence but Washington is one of the best DL coaches in the NFL. Do you really think simply by changing DL coaches Epenesa and Rousseau will become all-pros?

Ed Oliver has had Washington coaching him and he just took a giant step. Development isn’t a one way street. Rousseau and Epenesa need to work at their craft this offseason, and I’m sure they will.

21 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Oliver was also handled by Nick Allegretti for 13 plays after Thuney got hurt. So that is definitely on him.

But to me Washington/McDermott did not dial up any sort of twists or games on the line to take advantage of a historically awful left tackle and a RT who struggled all year. The tackles were the weak link and the Bills did not attack them. 

I have to say I thought the gameplan, or at least what it appeared to be, outside rush to contain Mahomes, stymied any pass rush they might get. 

• Like (+1) 2

After his masterful job of coaching the injury riddled defense to be one of the best in the NFL, it almost seems inevitable that he will do that again next year too.

Next year, from day one, we will have a top 3 D coordinator, what seems to be an excellent, dynamic OC, and one of the best head coaches in the NFL.

I cannot wait for the season to start!

Edited by Mister Defense
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 1/23/2024 at 7:38 AM, GunnerBill said:

I am not that keen on Washington as a coach in general... wouldn't be sad to see him go.... but overall I think there has been some development of some guys on the Dline since he has been here - Ed and AJ obviously. I put a lot of the Dline failures on Beane as much as anyone. If he brings Jordan Phillips back again I am buying one of the pitchforks on sale around here at the moment....

the pitchforks are free!!  I have a few spare ones 😜

The guy that was hired to run ST's needs to be gone ! This version of ST's has been nothing but a dumpster fire most of the year and it was better with some of the players that are on the team but since they got this guy not so much .

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.