Key notes from players on locker room cleaning day (here is what you need to know)

Einstein

1 hour ago, Utah John said:

People around the league will remember how dominant Jones was early in the season, until his injury in London.  

The Chiefs doubled Jones on 71% of his pass rush attempts. They were clearly concerned about him.

1 hour ago, Utah John said:

That play will stick in my mind all offseason.  I was screaming at the TV, Diggs is open! Diggs is wide open!  A simple throw and catch and the Bills have the first down and can burn clock and KC's TOs.  Maybe the Bills get the TD they need for a four point lead, forcing Mahomes to drive the entire field.  Maybe they stall and kick a shorter FG.  Either way, Josh made a terrible decision on that play.  

Josh made the right decision. Endzone to an open player was the right decision.

• Agree 1

35 minutes ago, boyst said:

Trade McDermott to Carolina for a 2nd, 3rd and next year's first. Sign Belichick.

Or tell him Belichick is the captain now. 

There is a benefit to McD of going back to Carolina . . . He would not have to trade for or claim any Panthers anymore because his new team would be full of them.

3 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I think the Diggs drops factored in to Josh looking to Shakir in the EZ.  Cook is not a reliable pass catcher with his stone hands. So all that leaves is Kincaid & Shakir as reliable. 

I was about to point out how sad that is, but who knows? Maybe these two are budding superstars. As you say, they're certainly the best two receivers on the team, young as they are, better than their much higher paid teammates. 

7 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Kind of shocked Morse wants to come back. I'm fine with him for one more year.

Hyde needs to retire

Gabe needs to sign elsewhere and net us a comp pick- maybe 5th round?

White needs a pay cut or just cut

Poyer I bring back for one more year

If Morse is back, then Bates needs to take a pay cut or just cut him. They should draft a center to develop in the mid rounds even if Morse returns 

Cut or let walk in no order:

Floyd 

Phillips 

Epenesa 

Settle 

Murray 

Sherfield and Hardy 

Gilliam 

Matakevich 

Hamlin

Martin

Lewis

Worth bringing back Jones Dodson Neal Rapp Isabella Edwards Van Demark and Johnson

Douglas should get an extension especially if they cut White.

Am I missing anyone?

Why do you want to keep Neal?  He does nothing on special teams or defense.  And what are your plans for Isabella?

7 hours ago, Einstein said:

Yeah they are in a bad situation. 

Post June 1 cut/trade would make it a $13.5M cap hit. 

I realllyyyyyy hope we don't restructure him. We would have to keep him through the end of his deal.

Diggs needs some new scenery.  And we need some new WR’s.  I take the $13.5 mill cap hit next season and turn the page. He has no tread left on the tires.  It’s obvious.  He can’t beat corners any longer. He’s had a very good to great career.  But it’s winding down.  

Watch Moneyball.  There comes a time for everyone when they can’t play the game they love anymore.  That time is coming for Diggs.  Father Time is undefeated.  Some on this message board do not seem to get that.  Sad but true.  I wish Diggs had 3-4 solid years left.  But it certainly doesn’t look like it.  

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, Cray51 said:

I dont know what you were watching, but the Bills put up 368 yards on the Chiefs, the second most this season.  They should have put up 27 points, tied for the most allowed by the Chiefs all year.  And that's with clear DROPs by WRs

Brady came in, implemented a very successful run game, and went 7-2.  That's exactly what we needed.  Oh BTW, his only losses were the Eagles (where we put up 34 points) and this playoff game.

Brady SHOULD be back, and I expect him to be.

Counter argue: he didn’t respond to KC’s adjustments when they clearly figured out the game plan (eg: let James cook) and kept running him down the middle stubbornly when it wasn’t working several times, wasting valuable plays. 

then towards the end of the half KC clearly had little answers for Kincaid screens and short passes…so it seemed really obvious to me that we should have rid the hot hand like we rode Cook in the Cowboys game. We didn’t.

i agree he came up with a great game plan, but didn’t adjust at all when needed, and that’s been a problem I’ve notice with the entire coaching staff. We rarely do 2nd half adjustments period ever since Daboll left.

3 hours ago, NewEra said:

I know

I’m curious what team is desperate enough to pay Davis top WR money and just feel sorry for that franchise.

my guess Bears?

10 minutes ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

Diggs needs some new scenery.  And we need some new WR’s.  I take the $13.5 mill cap hit next season and turn the page. He has no tread left on the tires.  It’s obvious.  He can’t beat corners any longer. He’s had a very good to great career.  But it’s winding down.  

Watch Moneyball.  There comes a time for everyone when they can’t play the game they love anymore.  That time is coming for Diggs.  Father Time is undefeated.  Some on this message board do not seem to get that.  Sad but true.  I wish Diggs had 3-4 solid years left.  But it certainly doesn’t look like it.  

Yep he’s toast. We need a WR1 in the draft because we don’t have the cap to procure one….or somehow Diggs figures his ***** out.

6 minutes ago, mozillameister said:

Yep he’s toast. We need a WR1 in the draft because we don’t have the cap to procure one….or somehow Diggs figures his ***** out.

Whether Diggs figures anything out, or has been injured, or whatever, we need to start drafting WRs that could be the next WR1.  We need some young wideouts with the wheels to make some big plays for this offense.  Josh can make guys like Robert Foster look like superstars for a season, imagine he gets the next Justin Jefferson he can play the next 10 years with.

6 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Frankly I dont know that I'd do it either. I just always throw that option out in discussion since folks have a tough enough time accepting that we need to move on from a beloved player.

I just dont know what all our options are or what an injury settlement looks like.

An injury settlement is a tool which allows a  player (who usually has a “split” meaning he’s paid less when on IR) to be released while he’s still injured.  The player and club agree how many weeks his injury will take to heal, the player gets paid for those weeks, and after he heals he can try to catch on with a new team, instead of languishing on IR all season (possibly on a lower salary, too)

There is nothing in Tre’ White’s situation to which an injury settlement applies.  His 2024 salary may not be injury guaranteed (there’s nothing about it).  He’s due a $1.5M roster bonus early in the new league year.  The Bills options are probably to cut him (and eat the $10.3M dead cap) or keep him and take the $16.4M cap hit.

The dead cap is due to various signing and restructure bonuses he’s already been paid, and he’s not giving any of it back.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, BearNorth said:

Houston went to the playoffs with a 22 year old quarterback throwing to 25 (Collins) and 24 (Dell) year old wideouts, all on rookie contracts, with Motor as the lead RB.  Skill positions are increasingly biased towards the young and the fast.

unless your the bills org and we are talking offense.   I was thinking sun watching the game if we had kelse, 2/3rds the time he'd just be blocking.

but anyway this org is extremely reluctant to give much of a work load to rookie or even free agent players.  

On 1/22/2024 at 7:23 PM, Einstein said:

The Chiefs doubled Jones on 71% of his pass rush attempts. They were clearly concerned about him.

Josh made the right decision. Endzone to an open player was the right decision.

We'll just have to disagree about that. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.