Shout out another “elite” HC like Mike Tomlin

FireChans

3 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Dude, use your head.

Tomlin named Kenny Pickett week 1 starter.  After Pickett was benched, why didn’t Rudolph go in immediately after?

He went to Rudolph because he had nothing else after Trubisky.  Being QB1 by default is a terrible argument.

That is how they got here. But "here" is a position where at the end of year 2 the organisation went with a guy who started the year as 3rd string in a playoff game despite Pickett being healthy and refused publicly to commit to Pickett for next season as of last week. What they say in the end of year presser will be very interesting but I think they are going to have a competition for that job in camp. I do not think it is a given that Kenny Pickett ever plays another down for Pittsburgh in a competitive game. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

That is how they got here. But "here" is a position where at the end of year 2 the organisation went with a guy who started the year as 3rd string in a playoff game despite Pickett being healthy and refused publicly to commit to Pickett for next season as of last week. What they say in the end of year presser will be very interesting but I think they are going to have a competition for that job in camp. I do not think it is a given that Kenny Pickett ever plays another down for Pittsburgh in a competitive game. 

If Mason Rudolph is the answer for them going forward, isn't it a massive failure from a talent-evaluation standpoint that it took them 6 seasons to see that?

7 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

The premise of this “thread” is that Tomlin has been anointed and built up by the media as “elite” when he doesn’t deserve it, whereas other coaches like McDermott have been torn down by the media when they’ve got similar or better credentials.

Of course, there’s a subtext to this “theory” - there always is with this particular poster - but if anyone called it out he’d act all shocked.  “What?  Oh no, I wasn’t saying THAT, why you must be reading into it, that’s a YOU problem!”  

Been years of this type of gaslighting by this particular poster.  Years.

???? what lmao.

You’re unfortunately missing the forest for the trees.

Edited by FireChans

Just now, Coach Tuesday said:

Exactly as predicted.

Yeah because that’s insane to accuse me of subtly implementing RACIST subtext because I think McD is just as good a coach as Tomlin, McDaniel, Sirianni, Harbaugh, Stefanski or whoever is the next coach du jour. 

I reported your post. You should probably never read or respond to me again.

Just now, FireChans said:

Yeah because that’s insane to accuse me of subtly implementing RACIST subtext because I think McD is just as good a coach as Tomlin, McDaniel, Sirianni, Harbaugh, Stefanski or whoever is the next coach du jour. 

I reported your post. You should probably never read or respond to me again.

I didn’t call you a racist, go ahead and report me.  I am accusing you of pot-stirring.

4 minutes ago, Low Positive said:

If Mason Rudolph is the answer for them going forward, isn't it a massive failure from a talent-evaluation standpoint that it took them 6 seasons to see that?

He is not the answer. He is a place holder capable of keeping the team competitive while they continue to look for a bonafide starter IMO. Kinda like Geno Smith. Neither QB is carrying you to the SB  but with a solid team they're in the discussion with what they do have

• Agree 1

OP, I got your sarcasm -- and the point you were trying to make -- in your initial post of this thread.  You should have quit then and acknowledged what you were trying to do.   Sarcasm and/or irony frequently doesn't work well in a written format since both depend upon verbal and/or visual cues in the delivery plus many people are simply very literal in their interpretation of the written word.   Your choice to continue your sarcasm throughout this thread makes you seem ignorant and classless, which from numerous other posts of yours I've read, I know isn't so.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I didn’t call you a racist, go ahead and report me.  I am accusing you of pot-stirring.

You accused me of “subtext and gaslighting.”

I guess I’m accusing you of the same, because you didn’t flat out say I was a racist. 

6 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

He is playing better?  Players improve.

It is this for me. I like Rudolph coming out, I confess, but I'd totally given up on him and said there was no way the Steelers got to 10 wins when he took over and he was bound to collapse into a mess sooner or later. But he didn't. I think the thing that always surprised me watching him in the league was he seemed gun shy. Whereas in college he was a dealer who took chances with the ball. I wonder if the prospect of selling insurance rather than playing football which he really considered last spring triggered something in him and he just said "if I get another shot I am going to let it rip."

He has outplayed Pickett in his brief run this year. 5 TDs in 4 games. Pickett had 6 in 13. 

3 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

He is not the answer. He is a place holder capable of keeping the team competitive while they continue to look for a bonafide starter IMO. Kinda like Geno Smith. Neither QB is carrying you to the SB  but with a solid team they're in the discussion with what they do have

agree with this. And it will allow him to kick around as a backup a few years

• Agree 3

I don’t know, I think what Tomlin has done well with the team he’s been given. Since 2019, the QBs have been Mason Rudolph (bad), Duck Hodges(also bad), an Ancient Big Ben (who rarely threw more than 10 yards downfield), Kenny Picket (mediocre at best), and a little bit of mitchel trubisky(somehow worse). That’s a drought era level of Qb play. Somehow Tomlin got his team into the playoffs 3 of the last 4 years.

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, BillsFan130 said:

Tomlin is a great coach.

That roster is average at best.

How he got to 10 wins in the toughest division in football is a borderline miracle lol

If he wasn't doing McDermott a favor yesterday, then there's no excuse.

End of the 1st half, they had the Bills on the ropes and he let them off the hook not forcing Buffalo to get the 1st down with time outs. He could have forced a 4th down dilemma with a banged up punter or go for it.

They also botched any chance of possibly pressuring Buffalo by not trying for quicker strikes on that final drive.

Another coach that will have a bust in Canton on the back of a HOF QB.

• Disagree 1

3 minutes ago, FireChans said:

You accused me of “subtext and gaslighting.”

I guess I’m accusing you of the same, because you didn’t flat out say I was a racist. 

I am accusing you of pot-stirring, which I think you get joy out of doing here.  The premise here is that Tomlin isn’t elite because he took a third-string QB to the playoffs?  What?  

5 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I am accusing you of pot-stirring, which I think you get joy out of doing here.  The premise here is that Tomlin isn’t elite because he took a third-string QB to the playoffs?  What?  

The premise here is that half the board was calling for McDermott to get fired mid-season so we could try to bring in an elite coach like Tomlin, McDaniel, Sirianni, etc.

There were posts upon posts of how the Bills just paled in comparison to top-tier organizations like the Eagles and how we could never hope to truly compete with them.

And here we are, onto the divisional round, and every TBD darling save for the 49ers are home on their couch.

Edited by Avisan
  • Like (+1) 2

Just now, Coach Tuesday said:

The premise is that a lot of these coaches that posters swear up and down are superior to our coach are going to Cancun. And we are alive.

Over the last month, I have defended McD’s resume against the following coaches:

Tomlin, McDaniel, Sirianni, McCarthy (seriously), Bowles (seriously), Harbaugh, Stefanski, etc etc. 

You can go look back at my posts. I have ripped Harbaugh for not having more than one playoff win since 2014 like 100 times.

To insinuate any kind of “subtext” behind my OP because I mostly referenced the guy our team flat out beat in the context of the discussions above is just wrong. And it’s honestly really not ***** cool.

To be clear, this is the last time I’m going to engage with you. I don’t have a single person on my block list but you’re gonna break that for me. Peace.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Avisan said:

The premise here is that half the board was calling for McDermott to get fired mid-season so we could try to bring in an elite coach like Tomlin, McDaniels, Sirianni, etc.

There were posts upon posts of how the Bills just paled in comparison to top-tier organizations like the Eagles and how we could never hope to truly compete with them.

And here we are, onto the divisional round, and every TBD darling save for the 49ers are home on their couch.

Half of the Steelers boards have been calling for Tomlin’s head all season.  Goes with the territory.  

51 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Had nothing to do with coaching decisions, but when McDermott arrived they straight away uncommitted to Tyrod Taylor and forced him into a paycut and ripping up guarantees. Then McDermott ran the draft where they traded back. Then his buddy arrived as GM and started stockpiling picks.... This was the first time in forever a regime landed in Buffalo and said "guys you gotta get a Quarterback" and then began doing things aimed at getting one. Buffalo for years under a series of regimes had found reasons not draft Quarterbacks until they were backed into a corner. McDermott and Beane said "that is the most important move and we need to set ourselves up to make it." 

In doing so McDermott traded out of the pick that became Mahomes. And you have to be balanced and say that was, and is, a questionable decision. But they definitely had a plan that involved getting a proper Quarterback in the building. Not coaching as such but it was a decision that the regime made. 

Yeah, but Tomlin was never in a position to exert that type of authority over the draft. That's not how Pittsburgh operates.

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Neither will Rudolph.  

I wouldn't be surprised if they go after someone like Cousins if Minnesota lets him go.  Maybe Russ Wilson.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.