Impressed with Josh’s play but even more impressed with his leadership

TD716

12 hours ago, Heavy Kevi said:

Allen is a high quality human, and just happens to be all-world at football as well.

Nope. Go to finheaven, he's the biggest flopping, taunting,  away crowd pumping up dbag in the league lol

• Shocked 1

58 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

someone actually asked him that?  Good grief.

Right, but with that being said, after he answered, her response was something along the lines of that was the answer she expected from him. He is recognized by everyone as the professional, the leader, the Superman, the whatever great name or trait you want to attach to him and that is part of the reason that he is the league MVP this year, I don’t care what these chuckleheads in the media say. Interceptions, my a**, he has the lowest rate of points against off those interceptions. There is a YouTube video that breaks this down wonderfully between him and Lamar and he is heads and shoulders above Lamar in every respect/aspect. This wonderful leader gets very little respect from anyone around the league and why is that? Because it’s Buffalo, I guess. That greatness cannot come out of that crappy little area. (Heavy Sarcasm intended, for those of you that can’t  get it)

• Like (+1) 4

3 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I just want him to work on the body language when we fall behind. He sulks a bit. But dude is a great leader and teammate. That is undeniable. One of my favorite Allen games yesterday.

I've seen how Mahomes handles things not going his way, Josh is fine.

• Agree 1

Also credit Brady for what he has done with Josh... Here is a snippet from an nfl.com article

Since Joe Brady took over as offensive coordinator in November, the Bills' use of heavier formations (more offensive linemen) and an increase in rushing efficiency has created fewer opportunities for turnovers, with Allen committing just eight (seven picks, one fumble lost) in that eight-game span, compared to 14 (11 picks, three fumbles lost) in his 10 previous games this season. 

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-playoffs-which-remaining-afc-nfc-teams-are-most-likely-to-win-super-bowl-lviii

When he is "in" the game he is unstoppable.  Forbidding him to run took him "out" of his game.  He plays off his own emotion.  

The tempo of the offense is also important to his success. It does not need to be no huddle or hurried.  Too much subbing and waiting on calls gets him out of rhythm. Brady needs to see that and be anticipating ahead sequencing plays. 

• Agree 1

I've been thinking a lot about Josh today.   I think he is still maturing; not there yet, but getting there.  Last night was one of those games where you good see his maturation. 

I think you can see it in his eyes.  My wife calls it the "deer-in-the-headlights-look," and I think she's right.  Sometimes you can see it when he's on the bench and the game isn't going well, sometimes pre-snap as he looks over the defense.  It's fear in some form. He isn't like that every game, just sometimes, and less and less. 

Last night there was none of that.  He was superior athlete, locked in, in command of all of his abilities, of the game plan, everything.  That's why there wasn't a throw that was close to interception, except that ball he threw a little high that Ty Johnson tipped.  No throws into double coverage.  He did throw across his body, on the run, to Diggs for a nice first down, but that throw isn't a high-risk throw for Josh.  

You could see that he was in control on the TD run.  When he stopped (and the longer I look at it I think he WAS thinking about going down), he made a decision in the moment, the right decision.  He could see that all he had to do was break an arm tackle and go. 

I thought one of the more interesting plays was when he got wrapped up for a sack and he stopped fighting.  He went more or less limp and waited for the whistle.  At first I was disappointed that he quit, but in fact it was a sign of his maturity.  It was Josh saying, "Okay, it's not happening this play.   Maybe next play."   That was always a sign of Brady's confidence - he gave up on plays, too, went down easy or on his own.  

Josh is still learning.   He's learning which risks to take and which not to take.  He's learning defenses better and better. He's learning to think better than everyone else, on the field, on the sideline, and in the locker room.  

Every season, he's a bigger and bigger nightmare for defensive coordinators.   He throws better than almost everyone (Mahomes is a great thrower), he runs better than almost everyone (Lamar is otherworldly), and now he's becoming one of the best on-field decision makers - not there yet, but he's come a long way, and last night was the evidence.  He has playmakers all around him, all of whom coordinators have to plan for, and he's also the best playmaker on the field.  Josh is figuring out which playmaker to use on every play, and coordinators don't know what to do about it.

Hard to believe, I know, but the best is yet to come. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.