NBC Sports: Mike Tomlin entering the final year of his contract

2 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Florio has been shipping this story so hard dude.

Each coaching cycle has 5-6 guys canned every year, and you’re dying to get rid of a guy who has never had a losing season? 

I just don’t see it. 

Florio reports a lot of what agents tell him.

i am sure Tomlin’s agent is feeding him info to drive up the contract numbers.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Warcodered said:

and hey their is an opening as a DC here in Buffalo and he even knows the HC from college.

You think that McD would step down to take the DC role them?

😎

He's not going anywhere the Rooney's give him what ever he needs to be successful & he has been ever since he took over . Of course if he was coaching for the Bills he would have already been fired by the Mafia because he can't ever get them to the big game after winning the 1 he has . 

SLACKER ...

On 1/14/2024 at 9:38 AM, Coffeesforclosers said:

51 years old, has won a Lombardi, has never had a losing season, 17 years of HC experience. 

If he leaves, he'll be unemployed for as long as it takes his agent to answer the phone. 

Hardly worth pointing out.  McCarthy and Payton won SBs.  Both are tired retreads, same as many HCs every year. Ron Rivera got another job after Carolina.  Marrone was a total bum, he was rehired.  Ditto Rex Reed.  It's a long list.

14 hours ago, MarkKelso'sHelmet said:

No, I think by saying " I need to take some time to think about my future" it thereby puts pressure on the Rooneys to up the ante!

I can't imagine they feel pressured by information they were already well aware of.  Squeezing them in public will have no effect on any negotiations. 

I get first time coaches wanting the security of a long term deal.

But it has to be tempting for a guy like Tomlin to just let the year play out and have the freedom to go anywhere. Or stay. 

He would be the #1 candidate next hiring cycle, and Dallas will be open, among other teams. 

This seems like a media narrative, not anything to do with reality. Why is it some revelation that he has one more year left on his contract? I mean, if his contract was expiring, that would be different.

Tough thing for the Steelers is what they need is a new franchise QB but Tomlin always gets that team to compete at a level that never puts them in range to get one. The GM needs to get creative on finding a way to get in position for that.

I get the Tomlin criticism, but at the same time you can't look past the fact this dude has never had a losing season in 17 years. That's just absurd and something few other NFL or pro sports coaches can hold claim to.

Obviously he hasn't been to or won a SB in a long time...but I've said it still matters especially when folks make comparisons to McD here constantly when he's never climbed that mountain yet.

44 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Tough thing for the Steelers is what they need is a new franchise QB but Tomlin always gets that team to compete at a level that never puts them in range to get one. The GM needs to get creative on finding a way to get in position for that.

Name Mitch Trubisky as starter next season.

43 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

I get the Tomlin criticism, but at the same time you can't look past the fact this dude has never had a losing season in 17 years. That's just absurd and something few other NFL or pro sports coaches can hold claim to.

Obviously he hasn't been to or won a SB in a long time...but I've said it still matters especially when folks make comparisons to McD here constantly when he's never climbed that mountain yet.

The opposite is true--at this point in this guy's tenure, you HAVE to look past that, especially if that's the only thing keeping him around.   endless 9, 10 wins season with the occasional one and done shouldn't be that franchise's goal anymore.  Their problem, obviously, is that the QB room that their HC and GM have assembled guarantees mediocrity going forward.

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Name Mitch Trubisky as starter next season.

The opposite is true--at this point in this guy's tenure, you HAVE to look past that, especially if that's the only thing keeping him around.   endless 9, 10 wins season with the occasional one and done shouldn't be that franchise's goal anymore.  Their problem, obviously, is that the QB room that their HC and GM have assembled guarantees mediocrity going forward.

I do agree in theory but obviously the Steelers organization has no interest in making that change at this point, at least based on the reports they plan on extending him.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.