Dr Frank Ryan Browns QB Dies at 87

Old Coot

Frank Ryan who QB'd the Cleveland Browns to their last NFLtitle in 1964 had a PhD in mathmetics from Rice University.

He schocked the Johnny Unitas-led Baltimore Colts 27-0.

Dr Ryan had a productive career after his playing days ended.

Obit is here:

https://insider.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39229703/ex-qb-frank-ryan-led-browns-last-title-dies-87

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 6

43 minutes ago, Codger said:

Ryan to Gary Collins on the "post pattern".  Team of my youth. 

And the posts were sitting right there on the goal line, just waiting to pick off the defenders.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Codger said:

Ryan to Gary Collins on the "post pattern".  Team of my youth. 

Yep, The Browns were always on in Buffalo in the early to mid 60's.. . lots of good football watching before the Bills game  , which  would come at 3;30 later if  they were on on the road 

One of two PhD quarterbacks in the NFL during that time, the other being Charley Johnson of the Cardinals, who later became a professor of chemical engineering (and department chair) at New Mexico State.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Old Coot said:

Frank Ryan who QB'd the Cleveland Browns to their last NFLtitle in 1964 had a PhD in mathmetics from Rice University.

He schocked the Johnny Unitas-led Baltimore Colts 27-0.

Dr Ryan had a productive career after his playing days ended.

Obit is here:

https://insider.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39229703/ex-qb-frank-ryan-led-browns-last-title-dies-87

I actually remember him... sort of.  The first football game I ever watched was a Browns game.  They were losing to Dallas and I began rooting for them as the underdogs.  They came back to win.  This is when Bill Nelson, Ryan's successor, was QB.  But as a nascent Browns fan, I learned about Ryan and his legacy.  

I grew up a duo Browns/Bills fan but ditched the Browns when Modell abandoned Cleveland.  

RIP

2 hours ago, BearNorth said:

That 1964 team has 5 players in the HOF, Jim Brown, Paul Warfield, Leroy Kelly, Lou Groza, and Gene Hickerson.

What a backfield!  A PhD at QB and Jim Brown and Leroy Kelly at FB and HB!

As a 10-year-old WR in 1969, Paul Warfield was my idol.

I remember watching the Browns before Buffalo had an AFL team.

Ernie Davis was drafted by both the Bills and the Browns and chose the Browns. Tragically he did not play s down in the NFL he died of Lukemia within a year or two of being drafted.

I led a deprived childhood. We only had a black and white tv and could only afford two channels (ABC had not yet been formed).

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.