Cowboys at Bills 1996

Buffalo03

Continuing on with old games against upcoming opponents where we are playing them the coming week. I am going with Cowboys at Bills from week 4 in 1996. The Bills and Cowboys have only played each other 13 times in their history. 2 of those times happened to be in a Super Bowl. There really are no great games between these two where the Bills were at home besides the MNF game in 2007 where Romo threw 5 picks and we still lost in heartbreaking fashion. If we had won that game, that would have been the easy choice. Instead, I am going with this "gem" of a game from 1996. Jim Kelly missed this game as Todd Collins took the reigns in this one. Not much happened. A Thurman Thomas run was the only TD the Bills had in this game and the Cowboys only scored 7 points themselves. The final score being a 10-7 Bills win. This is only 1 of 2 Bills games in history that Pat Summerall and John Madden announced together. The only other one was the Bills Vs Redskins Super Bowl in 1991. Kinda crazy if you think about it since these 2 announced games together for years. If you remember anything about this game or went to it, feel free to share. And here is to hoping we get a big big win tomorrow to keep our playoffs hopes and division hopes alive. Let's Go Buffalo. Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Wayne Arnold said:

Thanks for posting. That's a crazy fact that Summeral/Madden only announced two Bills games.

Yeah, it is. Granted, we only played on Fox usually twice a year but the fact that Madden and Summeral only did 2 of our games in all the decades announced together is crazy. 

12 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

Continuing on with old games against upcoming opponents where we are playing them the coming week. I am going with Cowboys at Bills from week 4 in 1996. The Bills and Cowboys have only played each other 13 times in their history. 2 of those times happened to be in a Super Bowl. There really are no great games between these two where the Bills were at home besides the MNF game in 2007 where Romo threw 5 picks and we still lost in heartbreaking fashion. If we had won that game, that would have been the easy choice. Instead, I am going with this "gem" of a game from 1996. Jim Kelly missed this game as Todd Collins took the reigns in this one. Not much happened. A Thurman Thomas run was the only TD the Bills had in this game and the Cowboys only scored 7 points themselves. The final score being a 10-7 Bills win. This is only 1 of 2 Bills games in history that Pat Summerall and John Madden announced together. The only other one was the Bills Vs Redskins Super Bowl in 1991. Kinda crazy if you think about it since these 2 announced games together for years. If you remember anything about this game or went to it, feel free to share. And here is to hoping we get a big big win tomorrow to keep our playoffs hopes and division hopes alive. Let's Go Buffalo. Go Bills!!!

The 1984 game where the Bills won their first game of the year and upset I think the then 7-4 Cowboys 

• Like (+1) 5

17 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Thanks for posting. That's a crazy fact that Summeral/Madden only announced two Bills games.

yeah Madden had to apologize year after year for not putting Bills on his all-Madden team, saying he had to see them play.  Back then, CBS had rights to only two Bills games a year, where they hosted an NFC opponent.  It was probably a matter of threading the needle with madden’s madden cruiser travel schedule, given his fear of flying.  

7 minutes ago, Charles Romes said:

yeah Madden had to apologize year after year for not putting Bills on his all-Madden team, saying he had to see them play.  Back then, CBS had rights to only two Bills games a year, where they hosted an NFC opponent.  It was probably a matter of threading the needle with madden’s madden cruiser travel schedule, given his fear of flying.  

were most Bills games on NBC back then?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

22 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

were most Bills games on NBC back then?

NBC had rights to all the AFC games and CBS had rights to all the NFC games.  The only exception was when there was an inter-conference matchup.  NBC would cover inter-conference games hosted by an NFC team, and CBS would cover inter-conference games hosted by an AFC team.  That’s why CBS covered the Bills-Cowboys 1996 game in Orchard Park. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Charles Romes said:

NBC had rights to all the AFC games and CBS had rights to all the NFC games.  The only exception was when there was an inter-conference matchup.  NBC would cover inter-conference games hosted by an NFC team, and CBS would cover inter-conference games hosted by an AFC team.  That’s why CBS covered the Bills-Cowboys 1996 game in Orchard Park. 

It was FOX. Not CBS

9 minutes ago, EffKCChiefs said:

Ugh thanks for this, I don’t know why but this triggered me to watch SB 26. So brutal, I guess I just can’t get enough punishment. It’s not like the outcome changes lol. 

Don't do that to yourself lol

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.