Which WR prospect will the Bengals screw us out of?

DrDawkinstein

On 12/2/2023 at 8:57 PM, JPPT1974 said:

Bills need a WR to help out Diggs for sure. Maybe lower in the draft and not in the top draft rounds.

This post is like Groundhog Day😎

On 12/3/2023 at 12:20 AM, MiracleAtRich1393 said:

It would take way too much to get him unfortunately. Like basically what the Panthers gave up for #1 last year and we don't have it. It would take less to get Nabers and he's the clear #2 to me. Like a better Jordan Addison. Odunze looks like a saucier Gabe with better hands, Coleman looks like a Demaryius Thomas type, and Legette doing absolutely nothing until he was a super senior is a major red flag to me. Egbuka seems like a technician but less of a field stretcher. 

If we trade up I hope it's Nabers, if we stand pat I hope it's Odunze or Coleman, if we trade back I hope it's Egbuka, and Legette is a stay away for me unless back of R2 or later.

Can you name South Carolina QB before Spencer Rattler? Legette was/is a excellent return guy. If you want Deebo 2.0, get Legette

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

So the good news is one mock I just read, believe it was in the Athletic have the Bengals taking an O-lineman,  the bad news is they also have the Bills taking lineman, believe it was an OT from Iowa.

They better take a WR. It is a historic class. There are 4 or 5 guys who would have been picked ahead of any in last years class. More to the point, all of these guys project as # 1 receivers at the next level. That's unprecedented. Wherever the Bills wind up picking there is almost certainly going to be one of those guys (or maybe more than one) still on the board. Run, don't walk, to the podium.

I will lose my lunch if they use their first pick on another position because they think they can find a decent receiver later in the draft. 
Elite WRs are as much a premium position group in today's NFL as LT or shut down corner.

Edited by starrymessenger
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Yeah, I talked about this a few weeks ago when Burrow went down...it's unbelievable how they lucked into Chase via injury one year and now are lucking into another top 10 WR most likely due to injury again in the year Higgins/Boyd are likely departing.  

Luckily for the Bills this WR draft class is very deep and very good. Could almost get multiple WR's in top 2-3 rounds that would be better than anyone not named Diggs currently on the roster.

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

They better take a WR. It is a historic class. There are 4 or 5 guys who would have been picked ahead of any in last years class. More to the point, all of these guys project as # 1 receivers at the next level. That's unprecedented. Wherever the Bills wind up picking there is almost certainly going to be one of those guys (or maybe more than one) still on the board. Run, don't walk, to the podium.

I will lose my lunch if they use their first pick on another position because they think they can find a decent receiver later in the draft. 
Elite WRs are as much a premium position group in today's NFL as LT or shut down corner.

I agree with almost all of this post. Especially the feelings on this class.

I only differ in thinking that, depending who is available when we pick, we should be able to get a difference maker from this class in the 2nd round if they decide to go that route.

DK Metcalf and AJ Brown, both 2nd rounders, both exactly what I want for our next WR.

Given the way our roster will be looking, I almost rather they go DB (or DT) in the 1st. But still plenty of opportunity to shore up the receiving unit.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Disagree 1

42 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

IMO, the Bills should take multiple WR's in the first 1-3 rounds because they will likely be players better than anyone not named Diggs at the WR position on this roster currently. F the defense...McD has shown enough ability to hold his own with patchwork players...focus on building an unstoppable O so you don't have to worry about last game defensive stands...when you are ahead by 3 TDs, those don't matter much.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Big Turk said:

IMO, the Bills should take multiple WR's in the first 1-3 rounds because they will likely be players better than anyone not named Diggs at the WR position on this roster currently.

If we end up with a top-15 pick, I'd like the idea of trading down and using whatever additional pick(s) we get out of that trade just on WRs. Pick up an extra 4th and go WR in 2 and 4. Something like that.

• Dislike 1

6 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I agree with almost all of this post. Especially the feelings on this class.

I only differ in thinking that, depending who is available when we pick, we should be able to get a difference maker from this class in the 2nd round if they decide to go that route.

DK Metcalf and AJ Brown, both 2nd rounders, both exactly what I want for our next WR.

Given the way our roster will be looking, I almost rather they go DB (or DT) in the 1st. But still plenty of opportunity to shore up the receiving unit.

Xavier Legette is the Metcalf/Brown comparable in this years draft (and he may well be as good). I think evaluators may have learned their lesson. Where do you think Brown or Metcalf would go in the 24 draft? They would both obviously go in the first.

Imo it would be.a huge and unnecessary risk to hope to land any of the top 5 or 6 guys when we pick in the second. Lets be on Josh's side a little shall we? 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

Xavier Legette is the Metcalf/Brown comparable in this years draft (and he may well be as good). I think evaluators may have learned their lesson. Where do you think Brown or Metcalf would go in the 24 draft? They would both obviously go in the first.

Imo it would be.a huge and unnecessary risk to hope to land any of the top 5 or 6 guys when we pick in the second. Lets be on Josh's side a little shall we? 

Metcalf is maddening honestly tho...dude has the talent to be a consistent 100+ catch, 1500+ yard receiver in the NFL similar to AJ Brown and he simply isn't.

Currently on pace for 69 catches, his lowest total since his rookie year, and 1150 yards, decent but has only had 2 100+ yard receiving games this season.  Dude is Gabe Davis+ in reality...

Basically has a higher floor than Davis, but all too often plays near his floor rather than near his ceiling which is top 5 WR in the NFL.

He has the talent to be far better than these stats:

image.thumb.png.b497c28e79a67aa6509c5b93030b62d1.png

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Metcalf is maddening honestly tho...dude has the talent to be a consistent 100+ catch, 1500+ yard receiver in the NFL similar to AJ Brown and he simply isn't.

Currently on pace for 69 catches, his lowest total since his rookie year, and 1150 yards, decent but has only had 2 100+ yard receiving games this season.  Dude is Gabe Davis+ in reality...

Basically has a higher floor than Davis, but all too often plays near his floor rather than near his ceiling which is top 5 WR in the NFL.

He has the talent to be far better than these stats:

image.thumb.png.b497c28e79a67aa6509c5b93030b62d1.png

Maybe with his talent his numbers could be better, but except for 2022 where he got to play with a much better QB, AJ Brown's stat line is pretty much the same as Metcalf's. And Metcalf's stats are better than Tee Higgins' who is going to sign a humongous contract with somebody in the off-season. 
My point though is simply that I don't think we should outsmart ourselves again thinking that the guy we want will be there later in the draft (and have McD pick another DB). What's more if in the first we are even close to landing a guy like Malik Nabors you absolutely do all that you reasonably can to move up. 

4 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

Maybe with his talent his numbers could be better, but except for 2022 where he got to play with a much better QB, AJ Brown's stat line is pretty much the same as Metcalf's. And Metcalf's stats are better than Tee Higgins' who is going to sign a humongous contract with somebody in the off-season. 
My point though is simply that I don't think we should outsmart ourselves again thinking that the guy we want will be there later in the draft (and have McD pick another DB). What's more if in the first we are even close to landing a guy like Malik Nabors you absolutely do all that you reasonably can to move up. 

Hahaha...we would have Nabors and Knox on the same team...that could set up for some interesting play by play calls 😂

Get some "Three's Company" calls with Allen involved 😂

Edited by Big Turk
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Hahaha...we would have Nabors and Knox on the same team...that could set up for some interesting play by play calls 😂

Get some "Three's Company" calls with Allen involved 😂

Nabors is very much like and as good as Stephon Diggs. Right now.

What I'd give to have them both.

• Agree 1

I trust the Bills' drafting, especially with how well the past two drafts are looking (Obviously, 2017-2018 were home run drafts but 2019-2021 were looking like all-right drafts) but the 2022 draft is looking like a big success even if Elam doesn't pan out (Shakir and Cook are good skill position players and Benford and Bernard are two good starters on defense) and the 2023 draft class features two plug and play good starters in Kincaid and Torrence plus a third player in Williams who has flashed potential, that's with Shorter taking a red-shirt maybe he can also be a contributor. 

I think in the end I think McBeane finds good players in the draft. 

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

Yeah, I talked about this a few weeks ago when Burrow went down...it's unbelievable how they lucked into Chase via injury one year and now are lucking into another top 10 WR most likely due to injury again in the year Higgins/Boyd are likely departing.  

Luckily for the Bills this WR draft class is very deep and very good. Could almost get multiple WR's in top 2-3 rounds that would be better than anyone not named Diggs currently on the roster.

The Bills could luck into that too! Sucks that you need a QB injury to “luck into “ one of these types of WRs though. 

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I'm good on DT and CB in the 1st round. But edge rusher is certainly a big need. It's the 3rd most important position on the team and we have just one above average player - Rousseau - on the 2024 roster. Arguably that makes it an even bigger need than WR. Re-signing Floyd is a no brainer but other than that we have a massive hole at that position heading into next year.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

And just as this thread predicts, SBNation has a new mock out which has Bengals at 13, Bills at 14, and Bengals nabbing Odunze as we get Nabers.

Exactly the type of situation I hope to avoid.

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2023/12/4/23987205/nfl-mock-draft-2024-first-round-projection-update-bowl-games

I'd take Nabers at 14 after Odunze at 13, and sprint to the podium! He's the most complete #1 I've seen outside of MHJ. NFL speed, burst and quickness, great hands, all the routes... Odunze is incredible at contested catches and has great size and good hands too. I just haven't seen the shorter, quicker route running. If your consolation prize is Nabers at 14 (I don't think we'll be picking that low mind you), to me you're in great shape!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

On 11/28/2023 at 12:42 PM, DrDawkinstein said:

Or do we go CB then get one of the 2nd round WRs? Anyone there to get excited about?

As long as Allen is here they need to surround him with Offensive help. WR has to be the pick.  In round 2 i would not be opposed to grabbing a stud Safety or CB, whoever is highest rated 

On 12/2/2023 at 6:44 PM, BigAl2526 said:

Worthy is fast, but built like a string bean.  I'd be worried about durability in the NFL.  If he gains weight, there is no quarantee he's maintain his speed/quickness.  Troy Franklin is a little bigger than Worthy and not quite as fast.  Most observers regard him as a 2nd round pick.  I've seen him mocked to the Bills in the middle of the second round. 

Worthy got hurt in the Big 12 Championship Game, so your observation is spot on. We don't need another Roscoe Parrish... HOWEVER there may be value there as he will probably drop like a stone in the draft.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10099534-texas-xavier-worthy-on-crutches-after-suffering-leg-injury-vs-oklahoma-state

Edited by EasternOHBillsFan

1 hour ago, nedboy7 said:

Justin Jefferson at #22

Tee Higgins #33

Deebo at #36

AJ Brown at #51

DK at #64

McLaurin at #76

No need to panic. 

The league is now considered a "passing" league. Think other teams aren't going to target receivers to help their young QBs grow? Chicago, Houston, Tennessee, Washington, NE. Why wait to watch these teams scoop up the good prospects?

1 hour ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

Worthy got hurt in the Big 12 Championship Game, so your observation is spot on. We don't need another Roscoe Parrish... HOWEVER there may be value there as he will probably drop like a stone in the draft.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10099534-texas-xavier-worthy-on-crutches-after-suffering-leg-injury-vs-oklahoma-state

If you are willing to roll the dice on a slightly underweight receiver, I have to think Troy Franklin at 187lbs (6’3) might be the guy. He is pretty incredible. I know he’s very well thought of but I havent really checked out Worthy yet.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, 34-78-83 said:

I'd take Nabers at 14 after Odunze at 13, and sprint to the podium! He's the most complete #1 I've seen outside of MHJ. NFL speed, burst and quickness, great hands, all the routes... Odunze is incredible at contested catches and has great size and good hands too. I just haven't seen the shorter, quicker route running. If your consolation prize is Nabers at 14 (I don't think we'll be picking that low mind you), to me you're in great shape!

IMO Nabors will go before Odunz. I think he is a better prospect. He ranks right after MHJr imo as the second best in the class. What you say about Odunz however is true but myself for now I’d have him more at the back end of the top 5 or 6. I know thats probably not a consensus view.

Edited by starrymessenger
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Solomon Grundy said:

The league is now considered a "passing" league. Think other teams aren't going to target receivers to help their young QBs grow? Chicago, Houston, Tennessee, Washington, NE. Why wait to watch these teams scoop up the good prospects?

I fully agree.  I would go WR.  I meant dont panic if McBean go later. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.