Why does your job suck

You should probably think about storing a backup copy off-site as well.  What happens if your apartment burns down?

I'm sure you've already thought of that though. :w00t:

CW

353888[/snapback]

if my apartment burnt down, i'd have bigger problems than backups

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My job sucks because i am a science grad student aka a slave/peon...i'm expected to work long hours for minimal pay and then not get credit for anything amazing that i may uncover...hence the reason i am looking at ditchin out with a masters and gettin a real job...

in front of them i put on put on my happy i love this science stuff face but behind the scenes it sucks and i'd ditch it in a heartbeat...

353847[/snapback]

And my job is to administrative support science Grad Students and faculty....

I really enjoy working with the Grad Students and the other staff....I like being around them because they are still young and I can relate to them.

My job sucks ass because along with supporting the Grad Students....I also have to support the faculty that teach them. Faculty at a university are some of the most loathsome, diety challenged, ignorant, small mans disease having, nose in the air being, arrogant, people who have residence here but dont live on this world.

Not all of them.....but some are enough to make my job difficult. I have one in particular who takes great pleasure in finding ways to get me in trouble....getting me blamed for mistakes whether I am wrong or not.....flirts with the boundries of harrassment and union vilations for not allowing workers to take breaks...and basically stands behind his stature in my department with a serious complex about me.

If I didn't have 2 kids and a wife to support (well me and my wife do it together) I would would put this guy in traction.

My job sucks ass because along with supporting the Grad Students....I also have to support the faculty that teach them.  Faculty at a university are some of the most loathsome, diety challenged, ignorant, small mans disease having, nose in the air being, arrogant, people who have residence here but dont live on this world.

Does anyone watch "Hell's Kitchen?" (it's another lame reality show that my wife loves watching). Anyway, these people were waiting for their food from the restaurant and it wasn't coming for nearly three hours. So one of the patrons gets pissed and orders pizza. When it arrives, the maitre'd says that it's illegal for him to eat it there (not sure if that's true or not). The guy gets up and says, "I have a doctrite in music theory. Do you have a doctrite?" "I have an education." "Do you have a doctrite?" "I have an education, sir." "See, you don't, so I'm more educated than YOU are!" and he pokes the guy in the shoulder. It was amazing. Like having a PhD in music theory means you're the king or something? Get real.

CW

Does anyone watch "Hell's Kitchen?"  (it's another lame reality show that my wife loves watching).  Anyway, these people were waiting for their food from the restaurant and it wasn't coming for nearly three hours.  So one of the patrons gets pissed and orders pizza.  When it arrives, the maitre'd says that it's illegal for him to eat it there (not sure if that's true or not).  The guy gets up and says, "I have a doctrite in music theory.  Do you have a doctrite?"  "I have an education."  "Do you have a doctrite?"  "I have an education, sir."  "See, you don't, so I'm more educated than YOU are!" and he pokes the guy in the shoulder.  It was amazing.  Like having a PhD in music theory means you're the king or something?  Get real.

CW

353900[/snapback]

Oh my god I cant believe you brought up that show!!!!.... :w00t:

My son made me sit down and watch it for the first time a couple of days ago (my 13 year old son loves to cook) can you believe what the main chef guy was telling the customers?

I would have choked him I think......my own kid had to remind me that it was a friggen reality TV SHOW and not to be taken seriously.....

But you know what...that is where I am at. A lot of pent up frustration because of a couple of mooks who I wouldn't be upset if they were in the obituary tomorrow.......

I had a feeling this thread would take off during my commute home.

My job sucks because of that commute. Plus, a monkey can do my job. It was kind of cool at first being able to go in hung over and not worry about doing anything stressful, but I'm 3 years out of college now and I've done nothing with my degree. The benefits also suck.

On the plus side I can't imagine having a cooler boss, and the pay is decent.

I'm thankful I can comfortably put food on the table, which I wasn't sure of 2 years ago. The economy appears much better now, and I have an interview for a job I really want tommorow; wish me luck; or don't wish me luck since it hasn't worked for me in the past.

And my job is to administrative support science Grad Students and faculty....

I really enjoy working with the Grad Students and the other staff....I like being around them because they are still young and I can relate to them.

My job sucks ass because along with supporting the Grad Students....I also have to support the faculty that teach them.  Faculty at a university are some of the most loathsome, diety challenged, ignorant, small mans disease having, nose in the air being, arrogant, people who have residence here but dont live on this world.

Not all of them.....but some are enough to make my job difficult.  I have one in particular who takes great pleasure in finding ways to get me in trouble....getting me blamed for mistakes whether I am wrong or not.....flirts with the boundries of harrassment and union vilations for not allowing workers to take breaks...and basically stands behind his stature in my department with a serious complex about me.

If I didn't have 2 kids and a wife to support (well me and my wife do it together) I would would put this guy in traction.

353893[/snapback]

you got that right john...most of the other students and all of the support staff are some of the greatest people i have met...our academic coordinator is basically a grandmother to all of us...but when it comes to professors, they are another story...sure there are some good ones, but the majority are arrogant and lack any semblence of social skills, and think they are above everyone...

Does anyone watch "Hell's Kitchen?"  (it's another lame reality show that my wife loves watching).  Anyway, these people were waiting for their food from the restaurant and it wasn't coming for nearly three hours.  So one of the patrons gets pissed and orders pizza.  When it arrives, the maitre'd says that it's illegal for him to eat it there (not sure if that's true or not).  The guy gets up and says, "I have a doctrite in music theory.  Do you have a doctrite?"  "I have an education."  "Do you have a doctrite?"  "I have an education, sir."  "See, you don't, so I'm more educated than YOU are!" and he pokes the guy in the shoulder.  It was amazing.  Like having a PhD in music theory means you're the king or something?  Get real.

CW

353900[/snapback]

UConn James has a doctrite?!

:w00t:

My job sucks because I know more about the business than all my managers and supervisors except one. I am crossed trained to work in any department, where some of my managers who get paid twice as much wouldn't know the first thing about. The only reason they are ahead of me is because our district manager is a dick and believes that "years in the business" is more important than "knowledge". The last supervisor position that was open, everyone pretty much assumed I had it because of my credentials, but I was overlooked by the DM for someone with 3 more years exp. who's attitude sucks and doesn't know anything. It's frusterating having to take orders from someone you have to teach various things to.

It sucks, but the pay is not bad. I just tell myself that one day someone will take note and these people will be working for me one day.

i love going to work at GE . i have one of those union jobs that i get paid for doing sh-- . [ just kidding ] what i like most at GE is watching the managers run the place in to the ground .they never want to listen . now i love my deck doctor business . that gives me all my fun money :w00t:

My job's ok. Most of the time its what you make it Gents. not taking away anything from the stupid but. If you hate it move on. I hate whiners. :w00t:

Do something for 25 years then come talk to me. And I dont mean stamping a fender. I mean your industry that you're in. I changed fields after 25 years. It works.

Some of you sound like pussies, really. :doh:

i work for assclowns. 

One is a retired Senior Chief and has been fired from every civilian managerial position he's had.  He has no technical knowledge and doesn't like being told he's wrong.  Great choice for an IT manager :w00t:

One was 3 months out of the navy, no college, no previous work experience.  But I heard she gives a good lap dance.  Lookup scatterbrain and you'll see her picture

One doesn't talk to anyone but the other 2 and her entourage of ass kissers

i was forced to take a pay cut, and the assclowns i work for wonder why my attitude sucks

i work with assclowns.  I field various questions from them such as recent "How do you change the Administrator password" and one of the all time classics  "Why doesn't this disk work in the drive" (note a floppy disk and a Zip drive)

the assclowns i work for always pass me over for new assignments in favor of the assclowns i work with, especially new hires and ass kissers.  their explanation to me is i'm one of the only ones who actually knows what their doing so they can't afford to reassign me

353863[/snapback]

Heh. These folks would fit right in at the university I work at. The dumber you are the higher up you can go in some departments.

The IT group I used to work for on campus was at one time a cool place to work. I would be contracted out to different units to help them out with their needs. Met some great people as well as some people too stupid to be alive. However management started changing from a cool group of people to petty and juvenile group. They would bring in new people in who were making close to what I made without having any real experience. Then I would have to go clean up after them. Another issue was the capreciousness with procedures. If you were in the golden child group, you got special privilages. If not, you didn't get squat. Luckily I was in the golden child group, but friends of mine weren't and that crap they received was unjustified. I could easily go on but you get the picture.

Thankfully a group of us left to go work directly for the unit we were contracted out to at the time and things have been mucho better. Not to say that there isn't crap in the current job, but it's nothing compared to the previous gig.

My job is decent, it's just the people I have to work with. I work installing specialized alarm systems at Nursing Homes and Hospitals. One guy gets a call on his cell phone from either a family member, buddy, or someone with his second job every 20 minutes so he has to stop whatever he's doing to talk for 5 minutes. Another guy complains about how slow things are going, but he's the slowest person I've ever worked with. Has no slow/medium/fast speeds, just slow. I can get 3 units installed in the time it takes him to do one, because he's always stopping to question the placement of a unit, or looking at his tools. Not looking for a tool, just looking at them. Another guy keeps changing the wiring scheme so we either have to wait and see if he changes them again, or quickly get them wired up before he changes his mind.

But the pay is decent, so I'm going to keep working for them, until something better comes along.

The best thing about being a doc is that I'm my own boss and have some partners to share the work load. The worst thing about being a doc is seeing how a profession based on compassion, caring, and healing people is now 100% a business and if you don't run your practice like that you'll go bankrupt. The worst thing about being a boss is having employees. Think about this guys - I have 8 nurses who work for our group, they all make 6 figures + working LESS than 40 hours a week and STILL B word! Are you kidding me??? That drives me up a wall. Overall though, I love my job and would do it again.

RTB

It's not your fault you hate your job. It's their fault.

Once you get past that mental hurdle there is nothing that The Man can do to you. He can have you for 10 to 12 hours a day, but he can't have your soul.