Joe Brady says Gabe Davis was the player of the game against the Jets

BillsFan619

5 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

For me, once he was named a Team Captain, that changed things.

It's an opportunity that he is so far squandering... and not necessarily by his play.

This has been a dark season so far and he has not brought anything to change that.

Who has brought something to change that?  

Either way, no disagreement here.  

IMO this entire debate about Davis loses something given that he's one of the lowest paid players on the team.  

If people don't like that we don't have anyone better, point the finger at Beane.  

If you or others don't care that he's a captain, then point the finger at McD.  

But for some reason, Davis takes almost all of the heat for stuff that he has absolutely no control over.  

11 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

For me, once he was named a Team Captain, that changed things.

It's an opportunity that he is so far squandering... and not necessarily by his play.

This has been a dark season so far and he has not brought anything to change that.

If you’re not penalizing him for his play, it sounds like you’re in the locker room regularly to glean some insight?

This seems like a really cool opportunity for you to let us in on the inner workings of the team. What exactly is Gabe Davis failing to provide for his teammates in the locker room?

13 hours ago, PBF81 said:

I can't stop laughing!  

First of all, what about the pass to Hill on the prior play?  What the pro-McD excuse for that one?  

Secondly, here's a clip of that Kelce play.  I'd absolutely love to get your take, not the rest of the forum's, but your take on the "communicational breakdown" between Wallace and Poyer, who were what, 25 yards away from each other, with Wallace clearly the cover responsibility on Kelce?   

What was the breakdown?  What was each "supposed to do?"   ... Many would suggest that maybe Poyer shouldn't have been nearly 30 yards away from any play and backpeddling on the snap.   How is that a "communication breakdown" between the two players?   Did you mean a communication breakdown between Poyer and the sideline?  

Poyer's 27 yards from the line-of-scrimmage, and 20 yards from Wallace.  

Poyer immediately begins backpeddling when the ball is snapped, and doesn't even begin to reverse his momentum until Mahomes throws to Kelce.  

So I'm all ears as to this supposed breakdown between Wallace and Poyer who weren't even near each other, with Poyer nowhere near any receiver, much less Kelce.  

Let's also keep in mind that McD called a timeout immediately prior to that play, presumably to get it right.  He certainly had plenty of time to think things through.   

Blaming anyone but McD for that loss is at least partially misguided.  Has there ever been a coach that's taken less heat for the major gaffs of his own team than McD? 

Yeah, that goes without saying.  :) 

That's fair, and I don't begrudge him doing that.  He and the rest of the staff have to say whatever they need to say to keep team unity and increase their odds of optomizing their performance.  The words are nice, but it'd also be nice if the executional aspects of our coaching followed suit.  Wouldn't you say.  

And BTW, it still doesn't alter the fact that the only reason why we were even in that game, besides Allen, was Davis.  

Without Davis that day, McD has yet another horrible playoff loss on his hands.  

Kid yourself if you want. That's your right. My take doesn't matter squat.

Know whose take does matter? The guy on the field. Wallace. Him. If you don't think he knows infinitely more than you do about what happened, you are flat-out kidding yourself. Which is what seems to be happening. Laughing because you think you know way more than me because I listened to a guy who knows far far more than you do ... that ain't far from the textbook definition of kidding yourself.

You say you're all ears, but clearly that's not right. If it was, you'd have already heard what Wallace said about this. He explains with great specificity right there in the podcast I linked to exactly what the communication breakdown with Poyer was. This has been posted a million times here, but here it is again:

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2022/5/3/23055147/code-of-conduct-okay-so-now-what-levi-wallace-john-fina

Again, what I think doesn't matter. I wasn't reporting on my opinion. I was telling you specifically what Levi has said, with great detail, right there on video, taking responsibility for the play, and explaining why it was the fault of the communication between he and Poyer.

The interview comes after he's signed with Pittsburgh. It's great. The guy was playing intramural at Alabama, walks on and makes the team. Terrific guy. 

But, hey, why start listening to the facts now? Instead, ignore things that don't fit your narrative as so many here consistently choose to do.

Edited by Thurman#1

15 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Kid yourself if you want. That's your right. My take doesn't matter squat.

Know whose take does matter? The guy on the field. Wallace. Him. If you don't think he knows infinitely more than you do about what happened, you are flat-out kidding yourself. Which is what seems to be happening. Laughing because you think you know way more than me because I listened to a guy who knows far far more than you do ... that ain't far from the textbook definition of kidding yourself.

You say you're all ears, but clearly that's not right. If it was, you'd have already heard what Wallace said about this. He explains with great specificity right there in the podcast I linked to exactly what the communication breakdown with Poyer was. This has been posted a million times here, but here it is again:

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/nfl-fourth-down-conversion-chart-rate-by-distance/vofkeub6xwms6imajxqkfipp

Again, what I think doesn't matter. I wasn't reporting on my opinion. I was telling you specifically what Levi has said, with great detail, right there on video, taking responsibility for the play, and explaining why it was the fault of the communication between he and Poyer.

The interview comes after he's signed with Pittsburgh. It's great.

But, hey, why start listening to the facts now? Instead, ignore things that don't fit your narrative as so many here consistently choose to do.

You didn't address the specific situation.  

Some general quote not directly applicable hardly supports what you said.  

Should we requote it?  

Seriously, I'm very open to the possibility that there was "miscommunication between Wallace and Poyer" in that context.   I asked you to explain it and you did not.  

It's a pretty good stretch though to cite that for two players that were nearly 30 yards apart.  AND, following one of our time-outs.  

Typically "miscommunication" on pass plays involves when receiving players are breaking immediately following the snap and there's confusion/miscommunication on who's got whom in coverage.  

Saying that a player that was backpeddling 20-some yards away had a "miscommunication" with another player that was covering a man, ... 

LOL, talk about not fitting narratives.  That sounds like something that will end up in McDimwit's memoirs next to a picture of Bart Simpson:  "I didn't do it!"  

But whatever, we're all free to believe whatever we want.  

Aaah, screwed up the link. I'll post again.

6 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

You didn't address the specific situation.  

Some general quote not directly applicable hardly supports what you said.  

Should we requote it?  

Seriously, I'm very open to the possibility that there was "miscommunication between Wallace and Poyer" in that context.   I asked you to explain it and you did not.  

It's a pretty good stretch though to cite that for two players that were nearly 30 yards apart.  AND, following one of our time-outs.  

Typically "miscommunication" on pass plays involves when receiving players are breaking immediately following the snap and there's confusion/miscommunication on who's got whom in coverage.  

Saying that a player that was backpeddling 20-some yards away had a "miscommunication" with another player that was covering a man, ... 

LOL, talk about not fitting narratives.  That sounds like something that will end up in McDimwit's memoirs next to a picture of Bart Simpson:  "I didn't do it!"  

But whatever, we're all free to believe whatever we want.  

I did screw up the link. I have now fixed it.

But again, why would I explain it? You just go there and you watch Levi explain it. He knows better than me.

Or you, by the way.

Here's the link. I'll fix it in my post above as well.

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2022/5/3/23055147/code-of-conduct-okay-so-now-what-levi-wallace-john-fina

Edited by Thurman#1

1 hour ago, JGMcD2 said:

If you’re not penalizing him for his play, it sounds like you’re in the locker room regularly to glean some insight?

This seems like a really cool opportunity for you to let us in on the inner workings of the team. What exactly is Gabe Davis failing to provide for his teammates in the locker room?

To the bolded, Davis is not providing results... either individual or team.

And as a person selected as a Captain by his teammates, it's a bad look being a coward after a loss and refusing to speak with the media... so there's that too.

Exact enough?

Edited by Sierra Foothills

2 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Aaah, screwed up the link. I'll post again.

I did screw up the link. Which I'll edit and fix in the next few minutes

But again, why would I explain it? You just go there and you watch Levi explain it. He knows better than me.

Or you, by the way.

Great, provide the link.  Don't hammer me for responding to a non-working link then.  

No need to get uncivil here.  

Also, do you believe everything that every player says in his own defense?  Be careful with that, there are some that I'll post that you won't like if you say you agree with all.  

Seriously though, I am incredibly interested how other than for a pre-snap alignment, there could possibly be any "miscommunication" between to players that weren't even near each other and far from earshot of one another.  

I see a ridiculous pre-snap defensive alignment essentially saying, "here, take 20+ yards" though.  So can most people.  

4 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Yes, I spend lots of time in the Bills locker room but your question is poor.

To the bolded, Davis is not providing results... either individual or team.

And as a person selected as a Captain by his teammates, it's a bad look being a coward after a loss and refusing to speak with the media... so there's that too.

Any other questions, Two Dogs *****?

You already said he wasn’t necessarily squandering the Captain with his play. These are your exact words “It's an opportunity that he is so far squandering... and not necessarily by his play.” So you bringing up individual or team results this time around seems irrelevant to me. 

That leaves what he’s providing in the locker room/to his teammates. Not speaking to the media is an isolated incident for him, but definitely a bad look. What else? 

Something, something Two Dogs *****

2 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

You already said he wasn’t necessarily squandering the Captain with his play. These are your exact words “It's an opportunity that he is so far squandering... and not necessarily by his play.” So you bringing up individual or team results this time around seems irrelevant to me. 

That leaves what he’s providing in the locker room/to his teammates. Not speaking to the media is an isolated incident for him, but definitely a bad look. What else? 

Something, something Two Dogs *****

If you're not getting the answers you want from me, that's too bad.

Again, he's playing poorly and not acting like a Captain.

Good bye.

4 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

If you're not getting the answers you want from me, that's too bad.

Again, he's playing poorly and not acting like a Captain.

Good bye.

I’m trying to understand. You’re the one who said he’s not necessarily squandering the opportunity with his play… so I don’t understand why you keep bringing up his play? 

I just want it to make sense. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.