Referees (Officials) announced for NFL Week 12 2023: Buffalo at Philadelphia: Shawn Hochuli

chongli

NFL Capsules Week 12:

https://nflcommunications.com/Documents/2023 Football Information/Capsules/Week 12 Capsules.pdf

[scroll 7/8 of way down]

16744261774502.jpg

hochuli.jpg

Shawn Hochuli - 6th season as referee

Pos. No. Name Exp. 2022 Crew College Occupation
R 83 Shawn Hochuli 10 n/a Claremont Financial Advisor
U 77 Terry Killens 5 same Penn State Campus Security Manager and former NFL Player
DJ 106 Patrick Holt 5 same North Carolina State IT Manager
LJ 47 Tim Podraza 16 Torbert Nebraska Business Performance Consultant
FJ 72 Jason Ledet Rookie n/a [unknown] [unkown]
SJ 125 Chad Hill 6 same Mississippi Medical Sales
BJ 39 Rich Martinez 10 same Canisius Sales Manager
RO n/a Tyler Cerimeli 6 same Arizona State High School Officials Coordinator
RA n/a Mark Bitar 4 same Seton Hall [unknown]

Terry Killens was a LB for Tennessee, San Francsico, and Seattle from 1996 to 2002:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/K/KillTe20.htm

[Speaking of Canisius in the table above, 20 years ago some news reporter in Pennsylvania, where I was living at the time, pronounced it [Can-ni-Si-us] and I almost died.]

https://nypost.com/2022/01/24/tom-bradys-penalty-explained-by-ref-got-in-my-face/

Why ‘aggressive’ Tom Brady got first career unsportsmanlike conduct penalty

"Tom Brady unleashed on referee Shawn Hochuli in Sunday’s divisional round of the playoffs that saw the reigning Super Bowl champion Buccaneers fall to the Rams.

“He got in my face in an aggressive manner and used abusive language,” Hochuli said after the game, explaining his decision to penalize Brady.

Brady screamed at Hochuli after taking a hit from Los Angeles linebacker Von Miller, which left him with a bloody lip. The quarterback was frustrated that there was no roughing the passer called on the play, and instead received a penalty — marking his first unsportsmanlike conduct call against him in his 22-year career."

https://brobible.com/sports/article/nfl-shawn-hochuli-facemask-penalty/

"NFL Ref Shawn Hochuli Gets Blasted By Fans For Incorrectly Calling Phantom Facemask Penalty On Titans"

"During Thursday night’s Titans-Niners game, Hochuli called a facemask penalty on Tennessee despite the fact that the Titans player obviously missed the facemask and held on to a shoulder pad while trying to make a tackle."

https://www.footballzebras.com/2018/12/buffalo-bills-player-jerry-hughes-accosts-officials-after-week-13-game/

Bills DE Jerry Hughes accosts officials in tunnel after game

hughes-tunnel.png?resize=768,431&ssl=1

"At the conclusion of the Dolphins-Bills Week 13 game, Jerry Hughes of the Bills ran off the field and up the tunnel to confront Shawn Hochuli’s crew. Video was captured by Spectrum News reporter Jon Scott.

It appears that Hughes is in a verbal altercation with one official, but with the video angle, we cannot accurately report who he’s going after. Our best guess is that it is umpire Roy Ellison. Notably, Ellison was suspended in 2013 for using derogatory language towards a player on the field who was yelling objectionable racial slang.

What we do see is field judge Tom Hill (foreground) and side judge Chad Hill (number 125, no relation) separating Hughes and the official.

It is very rare for players and officials to meet in the tunnel under the stadium. Hughes had to make a special trip to find the officials.

The potentially disturbing aspect of this video is Hughes apparently accusing an official of calling him a “B word.” The NFL will take statements from Shawn Hochuli and the official involved, and will get Hughes’ side of the story. We have word that the league is looking into the situation now.

https://nypost.com/2023/01/22/nfl-referee-shawn-hochuli-has-hot-mic-moment-during-chiefs-jaguars/

NFL referee Shawn Hochuli has hot-mic moment during Chiefs’ win over Jaguars

"Shawn Hochuli needed the fans at Arrowhead Stadium to start using their inside voices.

As he readied himself to announce a penalty during the second quarter of Saturday’s Chiefs-Jaguars Divisional Round game, Hochuli turned his mic on a second too early.

“Everybody shut up,” Hochuli was heard saying, before calling roughing the passer against the Jaguars’ Arden Key.

With the Chiefs on their way to a fifth consecutive AFC title game, as they beat Jacksonville 27-20 behind a hobbled Patrick Mahomes, you could forgive the crowd for not complying."

Edited by chongli

10 minutes ago, chongli said:

https://nypost.com/2022/01/24/tom-bradys-penalty-explained-by-ref-got-in-my-face/

Why ‘aggressive’ Tom Brady got first career unsportsmanlike conduct penalty

"Tom Brady unleashed on referee Shawn Hochuli in Sunday’s divisional round of the playoffs that saw the reigning Super Bowl champion Buccaneers fall to the Rams.

“He got in my face in an aggressive manner and used abusive language,” Hochuli said after the game, explaining his decision to penalize Brady.

Brady screamed at Hochuli after taking a hit from Los Angeles linebacker Von Miller, which left him with a bloody lip. The quarterback was frustrated that there was no roughing the passer called on the play, and instead received a penalty — marking his first unsportsmanlike conduct call against him in his 22-year career."

There is not one statue of Shawn Hochuli in NFL Hall of Fame but there should be.

• Haha (+1) 2

https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/lists/worst-of-the-week-nfl-officiating-matt-canada-jack-del-rio/

Shaun Hochuli's road cooking in the Browns-Steelers game.

"The Cleveland Browns must have been wondering what they walked into when they played the Pittsburgh Steelers Sunday at their own Cleveland Browns Stadium, because referee Shawn Hochuli and his crew had some serious road cooking in the Steelers’ favor.

With 10:28 left in the first quarter, Steelers quarterback Kenny Pickett was sacked by Browns edge terror Myles Garrett. The box score will tell you that Pickett was down at his own one-yard line, but it certainly looked as if Pickett was sacked in the end zone for a safety, and two points for the Browns.

CBS Sports rules analyst and former NFL referee Gene Steratore agreed."

"Sadly, this was not the inly [sic] instance in which Stefanski’s team would have legitimate issues with Hochuli and his crew."

Edited by chongli

• chongli changed the title to Referees (Officials) announced for NFL Week 12 2023: Buffalo at Philadelphia: Shawn Hochuli

It’s a sad state of affairs that we need to analyze the officiating crew from week to week. Nothing against the OP, I find it interesting. Just sad that we don’t have a neutral/consistent officiating crew each week. Seems they all have baggage. Especially, a dude that is more intent on doing dumb bell curls and tightening his shirt than remaining consistent and not controlling the game. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

It’s a sad state of affairs that we need to analyze the officiating crew from week to week. Nothing against the OP, I find it interesting. Just sad that we don’t have a neutral/consistent officiating crew each week. Seems they all have baggage. Especially, a dude that is more intent on doing dumb bell curls and tightening his shirt than remaining consistent and not controlling the game. 

You're thinking of his father, Ed Hochuli.  

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, Breakout Squad said:

Trash officiating crew. Can’t wait for phantom PI and defensive holding calls against us. 

Who knows, we are pretty good now.  I doubt the NFL wants Pitt and Cle in the playoffs.  

much better storyline is “Bills turn it around with 2nd straight win, beat NFCs best team, are they back!?!?”

Bills might get all the calls this week.  Keeps the season more interesting if we win.

• Awesome! (+1) 2

1 hour ago, peterpan said:

Who knows, we are pretty good now.  I doubt the NFL wants Pitt and Cle in the playoffs.  

much better storyline is “Bills turn it around with 2nd straight win, beat NFCs best team, are they back!?!?”

Bills might get all the calls this week.  Keeps the season more interesting if we win.

I admire your optimism, however, the reality is ..........

Schleprock.jpg.d4c62e7e50b122210498cf3f76cdde5d.jpg

• Shocked 1

I feel like the Eagles are going to roll us like a Killer Whale playing with a Sea Lion on a floating patch of ice. It really feels like the Hochuli family are fan of the Eagles which is another negative. I’m hedging my pain with the Bills, I’m betting 100$ on the Eagles to win and cover just in case the Bills lose. 

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, chongli said:

https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/lists/worst-of-the-week-nfl-officiating-matt-canada-jack-del-rio/

Shaun Hochuli's road cooking in the Browns-Steelers game.

"The Cleveland Browns must have been wondering what they walked into when they played the Pittsburgh Steelers Sunday at their own Cleveland Browns Stadium, because referee Shawn Hochuli and his crew had some serious road cooking in the Steelers’ favor.

With 10:28 left in the first quarter, Steelers quarterback Kenny Pickett was sacked by Browns edge terror Myles Garrett. The box score will tell you that Pickett was down at his own one-yard line, but it certainly looked as if Pickett was sacked in the end zone for a safety, and two points for the Browns.

CBS Sports rules analyst and former NFL referee Gene Steratore agreed."

"Sadly, this was not the inly [sic] instance in which Stefanski’s team would have legitimate issues with Hochuli and his crew."

Here's where technology doesn't help the officials these days, speaking only on the safety/non safety play.

We are seeing a perfect angle and the play slowed down to almost frame by frame while knowing ahead of time what we are looking for. We are focused on that and ONLY that. 

Live action, real time and having one chance at it it's understandable that plays like this would be missed or called wrong. Refs are human after all. Missing it in itself is understandable. 

Now, argument could be made and would be valid that someone could have instantly reviewed and buzzed down the correct call. They do that sometimes and not others, which is inconsistent and more maddening to me than the crew not getting the call right. The ability is there with technology to do so and in a way that wouldn't disrupt the flow of the game. At the very least Stefanski not challenging it was a horrible decision as well. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Goin Breakdown said:

Wait!  Lol. I forgot Hughes acted like the altercation never happened. That's funny. Sort of calling reporters liars. 
"but we caught  you one camera. Wasn't me". 

Thankfully he's gone now, so Hochuli and his crew won't hold that incident against us.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.