What do YOU think makes an Elite QB.

PatsFanNH

I hear everyone throwing “Elite” around and was wondering what people think makes up an elite QB. Now IMO an elite QB:

1. elevates the players around him.

2. comes threw in the 4th quarter

3.  The Team is never out of the game no matter the score.

What do you think makes an Elite QB?  

• Dislike 1

Put physical talent aside.  You have to have the physical talent to make all the throws and such.  That's a given.  What makes the greats great are their ability to master the mental aspects of the position, to be able to read defenses, know where to go with the ball, know when to bail or to change a play, change protection.  When you have that then you can make the 4th quarter drives to win, you can elevate guys around you.  

Because the Bills lost yesterday to Joe Burrow and you're answering this question using Tom Brady lenses, I think that on this day we probably have the same answers. I will add

1. Either being a coach/player's son or being film-obsessed to the point that they can overcome the lack of early coaching. Joe Burrow's dad was a DB who had a cup of coffee in the NFL, played in the CFL, and was the DC at Ohio University for fifteen years. You don't think that plays a role in Joe's ability to read a defense? You don't think that Archie taught Eli and Payton to read pressures and coverages while he fed them their mashed peas? Tom Brady and Mahomes watch film to overcome this. Josh Allen plays golf and hosts Halloween parties.
  • Haha (+1) 1

There are a lot of things that factor into being an elite QB. One of which (and maybe the most important) is the COMMITMENT to being elite.

I panned people last off season for making too much of Josh's schedule after the season ended. Be it making 100 commercials, vacations, celebrity golf tournaments, public appearances with the celebrity new girlfriend...we sure saw a LOT of Josh. You know what I don't remember seeing? The yearly photos and videos of him working with Jordan Palmer. Any workouts being hosted by our QB with the receivers. You know, football stuff. I'm starting to feel there's something to all that.

Flip the script, and look at Burrow. Never left town after the Bengals playoff loss. Didn't go on vacation, as a matter of fact was in the facility the next day. Worked all off season. Doesn't spend his time in front of cameras selling Pepsi. And as a young QB, already in one Super Bowl and baby faced looks...you KNOW companies would kill to have him as a spokesperson.

Now I don't begrudge Allen for any of his choices. It's his life, you only get one and you should do what you want. But don't be shocked when those that put in the work supersede you. They earned it. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

Because the Bills lost yesterday to Joe Burrow and you're answering this question using Tom Brady lenses, I think that on this day we probably have the same answers. I will add

1. Either being a coach/player's son or being film-obsessed to the point that they can overcome the lack of early coaching. Joe Burrow's dad was a DB who had a cup of coffee in the NFL, played in the CFL, and was the DC at Ohio University for fifteen years. You don't think that plays a role in Joe's ability to read a defense? You don't think that Archie taught Eli and Payton to read pressures and coverages while he fed them their mashed peas? Tom Brady and Mahomes watch film to overcome this. Josh Allen plays golf and hosts Halloween parties.

Actually I was using Brady,Manning, and Big Ben lenses and if Mahomes. All of them have elevated the players around them, were clutch in the fourth quarter, and all have led large comebacks in both the regular season and playoffs. Heck Allen did it to the Chiefs but left 13 seconds left and never saw the ball again. 

• Vomit 1

Dedication to be the best has to be a top criteria. That would require relentless pursuit of that whether it’s extra film study to look for opponents’ weaknesses or offseason training with and without teammates to get better. Always working on improving their own weaknesses to elevate their game. 

2 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

Actually I was using Brady,Manning, and Big Ben lenses and if Mahomes. All of them have elevated the players around them, were clutch in the fourth quarter, and all have led large comebacks in both the regular season and playoffs. Heck Allen did it to the Chiefs but left 13 seconds left and never saw the ball again. 

My point still stands. Ben Roethlisberger's dad was a QB at Georgia Tech. Phillip Rivers' dad was a HS football coach. As NFL football has gotten increasingly complicated, coaching in the formative years has become more important. Some guys like Brady and Brees are able to overcome this, but having a dad who knows the game inside and out is a HUGE advantage. Also, where you went to HS matters. Brady, I think, is one of the only ones to overcome all these early disadvantages. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.