This was a good week for Beane

Alphadawg7

On 11/2/2023 at 11:06 PM, BADOLBILZ said:

I used to say pass rusher was the clear 2nd most important position to QB..........but in the last 6 seasons in particular WR has really closed the gap in terms of importance and a proven indicator of deep playoff advancement.     

And having a really good WR2 has proven to be a pretty easy ask.....it's not like only a handful of teams has them.......even teams with loaded DL like Philly and SF have them.

If you are going to be as DL-centric as the Bills want to be you REALLY gotta' be able to at least develop some of your own reserve DL who can play that you didn't have to spend a 1st or 2nd round pick or free agent contract in.

I like Beane and think he can improve.....and is improving gradually.   But they aren't a GREAT team because Beane and McD are only GOOD at their jobs.    If one or the other were great at what they do they'd have won a SB in the past 3 seasons.    Overall, since day 1 McD has been the better of the two and I think has less ceiling left.   So Beane really needs to get in that Howie Roseman category of GM and doesn't have a lot of excuse not to with all the rope Terry Pegula has given him. 

and ,somehow 

You circle back to Davis. man you got it out for him  LOL jk

But yes i agree that WR2 is becoming the winning recipe and depending on on fit and skill set ? Can change the whole game for defenses

Hoping Bills can develop Kincaid into that threat that Defenses Must cover.

It really only takes 4 threats that have to be defended. The QB ,the 1 WR the RB (yes still)

and the second very very good pass catcher regardless of position.

And keep working on 1B  lol

On 11/3/2023 at 9:36 AM, BillsVet said:

McBeane's philosophy/scheme keeps running into cap management, notably a reluctance to draft DTs and develop them the past few years.  It's clear they would rather pay UFA rates to keep that group deep.  If that's an attempt to mitigate injuries, so be it, but so would having mid-20's aged guys with an added benefit of offering some cap relief from featuring 3-4 UFA's making 2M+ per every year.    

Still, it's that way at DE, LB and DB's: veterans on second/later contracts or high(er) drafted players.  I don't see guys on their first contract aside from Bernard or Benford who I don't think were the plan until a player could not be fit in cap-wise (Edmunds) or for performance/injury issues (Elam, White).

I question the need to feature a veteran defense every season, primarily because building out a roster this way has limited upside particularly when the playoffs come around.  Another 2 DT's fulfills McBeane's philosophy, but it hurts when you don't have a veritable second/third receiving option for Josh in games you might need to score more points and the defense isn't working as well.       

Conjecture your Honor !

its how you use what you have. Replacing players is just part of the business.

Beane has provided players.

On 11/3/2023 at 11:29 AM, Straight Hucklebuck said:

This is kind of what I felt during the offseason. 

The Bills were over the cap by $24M and had to restructure several deals to get under the cap. 

At that point they had about $17M in cap space. They could have traded/signed one or two larger names (Hopkins probably the biggest), but instead took their previous routes of keeping the 2020-2022 Bills as intact as they could, and then jamming as many veterans in as they could: Poyer, Shaq Lawson, Jordan Phillips, Damien Harris, Taylor Rapp, David Edwards, Deonte Harty, Trent Sherfield, Connor McGovern, Leonard Floyd.

Same as the trade deadline, created $4M in space from Dion Dawkins, worked with a total of $4.9M, and have jammed in Joseph, Douglas and Fournette (P.S.) all for the equivalent capital asset loss of a 4th Rounder. 

Despite the Playoff losses, the Bills still have some cache in the league. I think Beane has done what he can to put veterans on this team that can play right away. 

I'm of the opinion that we need another high traits WR in here to ultimately get where we want to go, but Beane is active and he's trying. 

We could have had a perfectly sorted Vet MLB who could have started and been more effective game one.

This is one of my dings on Beanes. Maybe McD said  , naw we good

we wasnt

• Dislike 1

On 11/2/2023 at 3:38 PM, Rubes said:

Loved the acquisitions. The proof will be in their performance. Many of us were optimistic about Settle and Ford, too.

Weird how anyone can disagree with this? LF struggled with weight issues, hasn’t played in like 9 months and wasn’t exactly an elite athlete before that. Joseph is fine but aging. Douglas is definitely an upgrade over what we have. 

I really wish they kicked the tires on suh. I think he is the better player.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, FFadpecr said:

Beane passed on a Top 3 NFL Center (2021 #63 overall pick Creed Humphrey) for Boogie Basham (2021 #61 overall pick). Went 2 picks after.

The following year...

Beane passed on a Top 3 NFL guard (2022 #24 overall pick Tyler Smith) for Kaiir Elam (2022 #23 overall pick). Went 1 pick after.

Beane could have paired LG Tyler Smith (Top 3 Guard) with C Creed Humphrey (Top 3 Center) up the middle to block for Josh Allen.

Complete mismanagement of premium resources. Wasted on 2 non-contributors on defense.

We didn't need a center at that point. We already had Morse. Humphrey would have either been on the bench or played G. We don't know how it would have worked out here.

As to Smith, I wouldn't argue,  but they already brought in Saffold and we did need CB help.

5 hours ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

We didn't need a center at that point. We already had Morse. Humphrey would have either been on the bench or played G. We don't know how it would have worked out here.

He’s a better player than Morse.  Why would he have sat the bench?  Could have moved on from Morse and freed up a big salary while getting younger and more talented.  When you’ve got a 30 year old making top of scale money without being elite, drafting his replacement late in the second is a great investment.

35 minutes ago, Billl said:

He’s a better player than Morse.  Why would he have sat the bench?  Could have moved on from Morse and freed up a big salary while getting younger and more talented.  When you’ve got a 30 year old making top of scale money without being elite, drafting his replacement late in the second is a great investment.

I would typically agree with this, but Morse has been the most reliable, consistent player on the Bills OLine for the 5 years he's been here and has also been its primary leader.

I would have had no problem drafting Humphrey and letting him run at G until Morse aged out or moved on, but no way you get rid of a guy like Mitch Morse when he's still playing very well.

• Agree 2

7 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

The point about a MLB didn’t hit home with me. Bernard has done very well. Much to my surprise ( and others ) maybe I just didn’t get your point ? 

If anyone had told me that Bernard was going to be a significant upgrade to Edmunds I would seriously have thought they were crazy. I was not an Edmunds fan but to me he was a legit starter, something I doubted Bernard would ever be. I know the Bills got a big heads up from the Baylor coach so that they were ok moving up, but I don't recall whether the contact/connection was with McD or with Beane. I also wonder where he would have gone in the draft if we had not been so aggressive. At the time I think some saw him as maybe a 5th and others as depth and special teamer.

I guess what he brings is just a perfect match for McD's scheme.

Beane did a great job this past week. If Douglas had a bit more foot speed and agility he be a pro-bowler. All for maybe 50 spots. Sweet.

Edited by starrymessenger

• 2 weeks later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.