Shakir needs to be given some of Gabe’s snaps…prove me wrong

Alphadawg7

2 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Oh yea this makes perfect sense …. WR2 isn’t good enough so replace him with the next guy who can’t even beat him on the depth chart in practice. 

flawless logic 🙄 

Flawless logic lol...like responding to a headline and not understanding the premise of the post and making up your own narrative instead?  Never at any point said to replace Davis with Shakir who is a slot WR.  

I said that Davis 96% snap share dominance, which has been consistent all year, even more than Diggs, should go down to get other guys more opportunities to get on the field like Shakir who have been making plays when called upon.

And the coaches seem to agree since Shakirs snap count has increased every week since week 1.  

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

Flawless logic lol...like responding to a headline and not understanding the premise of the post and making up your own narrative instead?  Never at any point said to replace Davis with Shakir who is a slot WR.  

I said that Davis 96% snap share dominance, which has been consistent all year, even more than Diggs, should go down to get other guys more opportunities to get on the field like Shakir who have been making plays when called upon.

And the coaches seem to agree since Shakirs snap count has increased every week since week 1.  

Who do you play on the boundary if Davis is on the bench?

Just now, FireChans said:

Who do you play on the boundary if Davis is on the bench?

You don't have to have two traditional boundary WR's on every play.  Like I said, its not about replacing Davis, he would still be the primary boundary WR opposite Diggs.  But the offense needs guys who can get open in other areas of the field where Davis struggles, and getting some of the other guys more snaps who can help in those areas like Kincaid and Shakir is something I think would help Josh and this offense.  

Davis has 3 catches or less in 5 of our 7 games despite having the highest % of snaps on the entire Team and Diggs facing frequent double teams.  He literally averages 3.1 catches per game on the season.  Getting over 90% of the offensive snaps on a pass happy team with Josh Allen should result in better than 3 catches per game (two of which he has just 1).  

Our rookie TE Kincaid gets over 30% less snaps per game than Davis, and has played one less game and yet still has 3 more catches than Davis who dominates the snap count.  The biggest issue with Kincaid is that his yards per catch is a putrid 7.7 ypc, but that is IMHO a Dorsey issue and how they have used Kincaid.  

23 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

You don't have to have two traditional boundary WR's on every play.  Like I said, its not about replacing Davis, he would still be the primary boundary WR opposite Diggs.  But the offense needs guys who can get open in other areas of the field where Davis struggles, and getting some of the other guys more snaps who can help in those areas like Kincaid and Shakir is something I think would help Josh and this offense.  

Davis has 3 catches or less in 5 of our 7 games despite having the highest % of snaps on the entire Team and Diggs facing frequent double teams.  He literally averages 3.1 catches per game on the season.  Getting over 90% of the offensive snaps on a pass happy team with Josh Allen should result in better than 3 catches per game (two of which he has just 1).  

Our rookie TE Kincaid gets over 30% less snaps per game than Davis, and has played one less game and yet still has 3 more catches than Davis who dominates the snap count.  The biggest issue with Kincaid is that his yards per catch is a putrid 7.7 ypc, but that is IMHO a Dorsey issue and how they have used Kincaid.  

So what would your offensive formation look like? Diggs on the outside and then bunches?

13 minutes ago, FireChans said:

So what would your offensive formation look like? Diggs on the outside and then bunches?

I mean thats a good start.  But you are still focused on there being no boundary WR, which isn't what needs to happen.  Shakir and Sherfield can play the boundary on some snaps, it doesn't always have to be Davis.  Heck, even Harty can mix in there a few snaps to stretch the D.  

I just think they need more rotation with Davis because to lead the team in snaps well over 90% and avg just 3 catches a game isn't helping Josh often enough.  2 games with 1 catch while playing opposite a guy like Diggs who is consistently drawing extra attention is just not good enough.  We need more production from a guy on the field 95% of the plays or we need to reduce that percentage some to get other guys on the field who may contribute more in other areas of the field.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1

Shakir can only really play in the slot. If you are taking Davis off the field in my mind it is either because you are splitting a tight end wide (which with Knox down for a spell looks less likely) or Sherfield is coming in. 

And it isn't so much about where they line up in relation to the line of scrimmage. You can have Diggs one side wide and then  a bunch formation the other if you like but the widest of that bunch is going to face a boundary corner and if I am a boundary corner and I see Shakir widest of the receivers on one side I will just go press him at the line and ask old alligator arms to get off the press. He can do it a snap here and a snap there to add a wrinkle. But if you wanna take 20% of Davis's snaps away for example then I don't know how many of those you are giving to Khalil Shakir.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Shakir can only really play in the slot. If you are taking Davis off the field in my mind it is either because you are splitting a tight end wide (which with Knox down for a spell looks less likely) or Sherfield is coming in. 

And it isn't so much about where they line up in relation to the line of scrimmage. You can have Diggs one side wide and then  a bunch formation the other if you like but the widest of that bunch is going to face a boundary corner and if I am a boundary corner and I see Shakir widest of the receivers on one side I will just go press him at the line and ask old alligator arms to get off the press. He can do it a snap here and a snap there to add a wrinkle. But if you wanna take 20% of Davis's snaps away for example then I don't know how many of those you are giving to Khalil Shakir.

Fair points on Shakir, but the staff has felt Shakir warranted more snaps and has tripled his snap count since week 1 and Davis has not had less time on the field.  So that tracks with what you are saying here.  

But this offense needs more out of a guy on the field 95% of the snaps than 5 games of 1-3 catches and 3.1 rec per game avg.  I just think Davis has too many limitations to dominate the snap count that much, and I went to Shakir first because he has shown some nice blocking ability this year, which is one the things people defend Davis with which has been his ability to block.  

Whatever the answer is, I think Davis having his snap count drop from 95% to 75%-80% would benefit the offense if it means we are getting guys on the field who offer more diversity in the route tree and more consistency in other areas of the field.  

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Fair points on Shakir, but the staff has felt Shakir warranted more snaps and has tripled his snap count since week 1 and Davis has not had less time on the field.  So that tracks with what you are saying here.  

But this offense needs more out of a guy on the field 95% of the snaps than 5 games of 1-3 catches and 3.1 rec per game avg.  I just think Davis has too many limitations to dominate the snap count that much, and I went to Shakir first because he has shown some nice blocking ability this year, which is one the things people defend Davis with which has been his ability to block.  

Whatever the answer is, I think Davis having his snap count drop from 95% to 75%-80% would benefit the offense if it means we are getting guys on the field who offer more diversity in the route tree and more consistency in other areas of the field.  

The way to do it IMO is trade for a guy. If you can't get a top guy find a one trick pony true deep speed guy for a late mid round pick who can blow past cover 2 shell and just try throwing a few over their heads. See if it backs defenses off a bit. 

Then rotate that guy and Gabe if you need to. 

23 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The way to do it IMO is trade for a guy. If you can't get a top guy find a one trick pony true deep speed guy for a late mid round pick who can blow past cover 2 shell and just try throwing a few over their heads. See if it backs defenses off a bit. 

I thot harty was that 

21 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

With that being said, do you have someone in mind that you think fits that description and would be a realistic trade target based on our potential interest (cap considerations included) and potential availability?  

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Oh I see, so… they should do this thing “prove me wrong” didn’t mean the thing it said, it meant some other thing that the coaches agree with because they are actually doing it even though they should all be fired because they are bad at their jobs. 

I’m shocked OBD hasn’t pulled you in for a consult. 😂 

• Eyeroll 1

11 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Oh I see, so… they should do this thing “prove me wrong” didn’t mean the thing it said, it meant some other thing that the coaches agree with because they are actually doing it even though they should all be fired because they are bad at their jobs. 

I’m shocked OBD hasn’t pulled you in for a consult. 😂 

Literally once again not at all what was said or what the post was about.  Reading helps.

• Disagree 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

We need a 2019 Jon Brown.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

With that being said, do you have someone in mind that you think fits that description and would be a realistic trade target based on our potential interest (cap considerations included) and potential availability?  

Not given it a lot of thought. A total shot im the dark name - KJ Hamler

6 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

He is the #2 WR...on most teams that is going to be true.

Saying he caught more than McKenzie, Football Jesus, a rookie WR they didn't use, etc doesn't mean a whole lot.  

it also disproved your post

6 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Yet not at the expense of Davis's snaps.

So the coaches seem not to agree with you....

11 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I didn't say they agree with me, I said they at least agree Shakir needs more snaps.  

then change the title of this thread...

Maybe : "I'm glad to see the coaching staff is giving Shakir more snaps, because I agree with that"

Edited by Mr. WEO

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.