Defensive Line rotation question

Toledo Bill

The defensive line rotation has been part of our defense for years.

When  Von comes back it will make our strong defensive end play even stronger.

Jones and Oliver have been playing lights out in the middle.

I am not looking for a negative here but I don’t seem to notice Settle or Phillips making any significant contributions when they are in there. I wonder if anyone has been focusing on their play and might have any input on this.

We can’t expect everyone to be a star but the difference seems to stand out.

1 minute ago, Toledo Bill said:

I am not looking for a negative here but I don’t seem to notice Settle or Phillips making any significant contributions when they are in there. I wonder if anyone has been focusing on their play and might have any input on this.

They’re not jumping off the screen but they also aren’t getting destroyed either. I would say they are holding their own more often than not, which is what you want the backups to be able to do

I don’t recall Phillips.  But the Bills DLine dominated the line of scrimmage , again.

Daquan has highest interior pressure rate in the NFL.

DL are doing dirty work occupying multiple blockers, enabling an onslaught of Bills pass rushers a

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Toledo Bill said:

One of the reasons you may not be noticing them is that the vaunted DL rotation that the Bills have used in the past really isn't used in most games anymore. Over that last year/year and a half of games I've noticed a sharp increase overall in snaps for the starting IDL especially. 

The last 3 weeks Phillips and Settle have gotten most of their snaps late in the 4th quarter when starters are out. I've seen them earlier, but a series or two and not much more. I expect this to continue when Von comes back. 

As far as who plays how many snaps at DE, Floyd, Von, Groot and yes even AJE have all earned play time. That will be interesting to see who they take off the field and when.

16 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Facts. I think Kingsley will be the odd man out when Von returns because how good Shaq is vs the run

I think they may just activate Von when they put Tre on IR for now....and wait for other potential injuries on the DL to make that move....its not like they will be down a CB on gameday, Elam will now get a jersey.

• Agree 1

Just now, Matt_In_NH said:

I think they may just activate Von when they put Tre on IR for now....and wait for other potential injuries on the DL to make that move....its not like they will be down a CB on gameday, Elam will now get a jersey.

Ya i just said that! Makes perfect sense 

I have to say I have been a detractor about the DL rotation because it puts assets on bench for long periods of time when we could have used an asset to shore up elsewhere. 

but I will say this year with McD calling it I think the DL rotation have been a MAJOR key into how effective the Defense has been. 

hard to argue against after putting up 4 sacks (against the “unsackable”) and 14 pressures 

Edited by MAJBobby

1 hour ago, Pete said:

I don’t recall Phillips.  But the Bills DLine dominated the line of scrimmage , again.

Daquan has highest interior pressure rate in the NFL.

DL are doing dirty work occupying multiple blockers, enabling an onslaught of Bills pass rushers a

Phillips is probably the least effective of the lot. Would love to see Ankou get a look after his monster preseason.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.