Rich stadium...Old timers question

35 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I was 14 and my parents couldn't afford tickets to such a frivolity. But I did ride my banana bike from the east side to Orchard Park to see the stadium for myself. It would be a few more years before I got inside to see a game.

Things were different back then, for sure.  It was a very different experience than War Memorial.  Clean, new and a bit fancy.  I remember a couple with seats behind us bringing peel and eat shrimp to the game and my dad whispering "la de da" to me in jest.  Now those are on tailgating tables all over.

Edited by Joe Ferguson forever
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Bob Jones said:

$21 million and done in only 14 months….the good old days! 😉

The scoreboard was $1 million, and had state of the art video capability…even if it’s just a bunch of lightbulbs presenting a VERY black and white pixelated image. Incredible how much that technology has changed over the years. 

• Like (+1) 1

I was sitting on the 400 when Mul-Key returned the kick. It was a parking, people walking around, radios blaring. Got to our seats just around half time. I think I still have goin they gave out to everyone. Only other memory is hearing that Duane Thomas stood backwards during anthem and almost hit into fight with fans in the stands. 

• Like (+1) 1

Here are my ticket stubs from the first regular season game at Rich.  I believe tickets were priced at $5, $7, and $9 in 1973.  Still have the program in a box somewhere.  I remember it was a great weather day, but not too much scoring, as the Bills won 9-7.  Still have images of OJ juking out several Jets for a long gainer. 

thumbnail_IMG_1187.jpg

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

I was there for the preseason stadium opener, and season opener.  Some of us were complaining because we couldn’t bring our own beer, like we could at the Rockpile. The video posted up above of the Jets game really flashed memories.  1973 was the second year of Saban’s second stint as coach. It was Simpson’s big year.  Rick Azar called Rich Stadium “the house that ‘Juice’ built.”  Thank you to the guy who dug out the video.  

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, QLBillsFan said:

The first game played was a preseason game against the Redskins.. Herb Mul Key returned the opening kick off for a TD! 

Yep.. i can remember every detail of that night/game, but normally cant remember why i walked into a room now.. 

Edited by dwight in philly
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

9 hours ago, chongli said:

Well, the regular season home opener was September 1, 1973, Jets at Bills. I found this:

My first Bills game! Dad dragged this seven-year-old to a snorefest of a game.

Edit: And I loved every minute of it!

Edited by slipkid
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

I'll be the first person to object to the OP referring to we Bills fans circa 1973 as "old timers" I prefer the term Vintage Diehards just sayin'

lol 

its a celebration Monday people! Gotta love it!

and my first Bills game ever was against Kansas City in 1973 MNF with Howard Cosell in the booth. The traffic still sucked. We left Batavia 4 hours early to tailgate and got inside the Stadium at halftime.  Some fans never got into their seats. 

• Like (+1) 1

I still have a box somewhere with EVERY photo from the Buffalo Evening News and the Courier Express of Rich Stadium while it was under construction. Looking back, I’m guessing it’s one of the things from my childhood that inspired me to become an architect. Go figure! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

11 hours ago, QLBillsFan said:

The first game played was a preseason game against the Redskins.. Herb Mul Key returned the opening kick off for a TD! 

I heard it, but I didn’t see it. Traffic was insane and we were still waiting in line to get inside. Ahh, how the memories of Bills fans are littered with these kinds of memories! 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Augie said:

I heard it, but I didn’t see it. Traffic was insane and we were still waiting in line to get inside. Ahh, how the memories of Bills fans are littered with these kinds of memories! 

We were stuck in traffic on the expressway bridge going over Big Tree road. We could see the stadium lights from the bridge, but heard the call on the radio. Sheeesh 

https://fultonhistory.com/Newspapers 21/Buffalo NY Courier Express/Buffalo NY Courier Express 1973/Buffalo NY Courier Express 1973 19123_1.pdf   

https://fultonhistory.com/Newspapers 21/Buffalo NY Courier Express/Buffalo NY Courier Express 1973/Buffalo NY Courier Express 1973 19140_1.pdf

I was at that game. Looking at the stat line, OJ Simpson did not appear in that preseason game. I don't remember why, but given the season he would have, I think having him in that first game at Rich would have made a huge difference in the outcome. I love the ad on Page 18 of the Courier, for "Sestak and Maguire's Arches", at 2766 Elmwood Ave., featuring the Sal Vaccaro Duo.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.