Davante Adams trade speculation…UPDATE: Schefter says no chance he is traded today (link pg 17)

Alphadawg7

1 hour ago, streetkings01 said:

Bills can’t afford that contract, plus him and Diggs together would be a disaster. There’s a reason NFL teams don’t have 2 #1 All Pro receivers on the same team on post rookie contracts…….too much of a headache trying to keep both guys happy. Eventually 1 is asking to be traded/released.

Contract isn't the issue at all.    His cap hit for the acquiring team this season is negligible and the base salaries in coming seasons aren't bad.

As for keeping them happy.........that's not been a big issue in other such circumstances.    Marvin Harrison/Reggie Wayne for example.   A great QB will make it work and Allen is a great QB.   Lot's of situations with 2 stud WR on teams in the NFL and don't hear a lot of bitchin'.   Bills have one of the less physically gifted WR corps in the NFL so it's not like there are a lot of mouths to feed beyond Diggs.    Sharty/Shakir/Sherfield are JAG's.   Davis should be getting 4 targets or less in NFL games and Allen should be throwing the ball 38-40 times per game so do the math.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

If he was here, both would be getting 10+ targets per game and our offense would become very scary.  Up tempo with those 2 is pretty much indefensible. Whoever else is on the field would always be open 

Name me a team that had 2 all pro recievers on top 10 WR contracts in the past 15 years? It sounds good in theory with the option of having 2 all pro recievers, but the reality is teams don’t pay 2 top tier recievers because it’s too difficult to keep each player happy and eventually 1 wants to be traded or released. Which reciever is gonna take a back seat to the other……Diggs or Adams?

Just now, streetkings01 said:

Name me a team that had 2 all pro recievers on top 10 WR contracts in the past 15 years? It sounds good in theory with the option of having 2 all pro recievers, but the reality is teams don’t pay 2 top tier recievers because it’s too difficult to keep each player happy and eventually 1 wants to be traded or released. Which reciever is gonna take a back seat to the other……Diggs or Adams?

not 15 years but  Issac Bruce and Torry Holt.  Also Anquan Boldin and Larry Fitzgerald.  Don't know the contract details 

3 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Bill, it was discussed this morning on WGR.  It’s only a $6 mil hit this year and $16 mil next year.  A bargain for one of the top 3 WR’s in the league.  We’d be unstoppable.

im all in on Adams for. 2nd, trading for Johnson in Chicago for Elam and a late pick, and lastly as we’re getting “let’s get stupid”, picking up Suh for half a year as he’s still good at 36.  He did fine in Philly.

Live with Bernard and Williams at LB.

None will help this Sunday, but the rest of the year, yeah.  Elam will probably shine on the Bears as they sick on defense

Perhaps you are right. Maybe I am just burned out from McDermott trading away draft picks. 

• Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

not 15 years but  Issac Bruce and Torry Holt.  Also Anquan Boldin and Larry Fitzgerald.  Don't know the contract details 

You’re naming guys that were all on rookie contracts. 2010 Bolton was traded to the Ravens, Fitzgerald was extended in 2011.

I’m talking about a team with 2 recievers paid top 10 at their position. Adams is #2 and Diggs is #5

Just now, streetkings01 said:

You’re naming guys that were all on rookie contracts. 2010 Bolton was traded to the Ravens, Fitzgerald was extended in 2011.

13 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Contract isn't the issue at all.    His cap hit for the acquiring team this season is negligible and the base salaries in coming seasons aren't bad.

As for keeping them happy.........that's not been a big issue in other such circumstances.    Marvin Harrison/Reggie Wayne for example.   A great QB will make it work and Allen is a great QB.   Lot's of situations with 2 stud WR on teams in the NFL and don't hear a lot of bitchin'.   Bills have one of the less physically gifted WR corps in the NFL so it's not like there are a lot of mouths to feed beyond Diggs.    Sharty/Shakir/Sherfield are JAG's.   Davis should be getting 4 targets or less in NFL games and Allen should be throwing the ball 38-40 times per game so do the math.

You only see 2 stud receivers on a team when 1 of them is still on a rookie deal. The Bengals are going through this now with Higgins and Chase……can’t sign 2 receivers to #1 money.

Edited by streetkings01

7 minutes ago, streetkings01 said:

I’m talking about a team with 2 recievers paid top 10 at their position. Adams is #2 and Diggs is #5

You only see 2 stud receivers on a team when 1 of them is still on a rookie deal. The Bengals are going through this now with Higgins and Chase……can’t sign 2 receivers to #1 money.

The Raiders pick up most of his pay if he's traded.    Which is the reason they are unlikely to trade him.   It's like a $50M dead cap hit for them to deal him.

But he'd ONLY have like $18M in cap hits over the next year and a half with Buffalo.......and $17M of that is his base salary next year.........which the Bills could add dummy years to and lower that cap hit to around $2M and permit him to be a free agent after 2024.    

They wouldn't be paying him $20M per year.    Not even close.   You are conflating 2 things here.......it's not a case where they would be paying 2 WR All Pro money.  

10 minutes ago, streetkings01 said:

Well I agree that you almost never see top 10 WRs on the same team. I don’t think it’s because you can’t make both of them happy. It’s because 2 top 10 paid WRs would take up too much cap space on the same roster. Which wouldn’t be an issue with Adams here. At $6m this season and another $16m next season it’s very feasible. After that I’m not sure. 

1 minute ago, mrags said:

Well I agree that you almost never see top 10 WRs on the same team. I don’t think it’s because you can’t make both of them happy. It’s because 2 top 10 paid WRs would take up too much cap space on the same roster. Which wouldn’t be an issue with Adams here. At $6m this season and another $16m next season it’s very feasible. After that I’m not sure. 

I think you underestimate the mindset of an all pro receiver in his prime. Why do you think Diggs was throwing his hands up at Allen in the Bengals playoff game……he wanted the ball. Why do you think Adams wants out of Vegas…..he wants the ball more. 

9 minutes ago, streetkings01 said:

I think you underestimate the mindset of an all pro receiver in his prime. Why do you think Diggs was throwing his hands up at Allen in the Bengals playoff game……he wanted the ball. Why do you think Adams wants out of Vegas…..he wants the ball more. 

Ugh. Adams would do just about anything to get off that chitshow of a team right now. And I think you are confusing players being selfish with wanting to win here. 

11 minutes ago, streetkings01 said:

Why would you think Diggs and Adams couldn't both get 8-10 targets per game with Josh Allen at QB?    Like I said,  you are caught in the middle of two different ideas.    That you can't have 2 WR1 level stud receivers and that you can't afford both.    There are lot's of teams with 2 WR1 quality targets and the acquiring team would only be paying Adams late round rookie level money this year and WR2 level money next year in the de facto last year of his deal.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, mrags said:

Ugh. Adams would do just about anything to get off that chitshow of a team right now. And I think you are confusing players being selfish with wanting to win here. 

When has the Raiders ever had a reputation of being a well run competitive organization the last 20 years? If I knew that, you knew that then he definitely knew that and went there anyways because they were willing to pay him. You think winning is his #1 priority or getting the ball?

Heres a quote from Adams after the Raiders coming off 2 straight wins - “When you’re a player like me, mentally my benchmark is not wins and losses, it’s greatness. So when I go out there m, I expect to have the ability to put that on the table and have an influence on the game. That’s my purpose for being here” end quote hmmmm

3 minutes ago, streetkings01 said:

When has the Raiders ever had a reputation of being a well run competitive organization the last 20 years? If I knew that, you knew that then he definitely knew that and went there anyways because they were willing to pay him. You think winning is his #1 priority or getting the ball?

Heres a quote from Adams after the Raiders coming off 2 straight wins - “When you’re a player like me, mentally my benchmark is not wins and losses, it’s greatness. So when I go out there m, I expect to have the ability to put that on the table and have an influence on the game. That’s my purpose for being here” end quote hmmmm

He went there to play with one of his best Friends Derek Carr. Who they shipped out after Adam’s being there with him for 1 season. So not only are they a terrible org, they pissed him off by letting go of one of the reasons he went there to begin with. 

and again. The argument isn’t about Adam’s and his character. It’s about why you don’t see 2 top 10 paid WRs on the same team. It’s because it’s too much salary cap for GMs to feel comfortable with at one position. It’s not because they don’t want 2 top 10 talents at the position because they believe they can’t make them both happy. 

Edited by mrags

2 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Why would you think Diggs and Adams couldn't both get 8-10 targets per game with Josh Allen at QB?    Like I said,  you are caught in the middle of two different ideas.    That you can't have 2 WR1 level stud receivers and that you can't afford both.    There are lot's of teams with 2 WR1 quality targets and the acquiring team would only be paying Adams late round rookie level money this year and WR2 level money next year in the de facto last year of his deal.  

It’s because it doesn’t work like that with todays athletes. You can’t have 2 - #1 guys on a roster where 1 isn’t on a rookie contract. At that position it’s proven that they can’t co-exist. 1 needs to be paid more than the other, 1 needs more targets than the other, 1 wants to be the #1 option over the other……it just doesn’t work in todays NFL…..too much drama that teams prefer to stay away from.

2 minutes ago, mrags said:

He went there to play with one of his best Friends Derek Carr. Who they shipped out after Adam’s being there with him for 1 season. So not only are they a terrible org, they pissed him off by letting go of one of the reasons he went there to begin with. 

and again. The argument isn’t about Adam’s and his character. It’s about why you don’t see 2 top 10 paid WRs on the same team. It’s because it’s too much salary cap for GMs to feel comfortable with at one position. It’s not because they don’t want 2 top 10 talents at the position because they believe they can’t make them both happy. 

Dude Derek Carr has never been considered a top QB in the NFL…..he went there for the money! What NFL reciever says to themselves I’d love to play with Derek Carr?!? 

• Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

2 minutes ago, streetkings01 said:

It’s because it doesn’t work like that with todays athletes. You can’t have 2 - #1 guys on a roster where 1 isn’t on a rookie contract. At that position it’s proven that they can’t co-exist. 1 needs to be paid more than the other, 1 needs more targets than the other, 1 wants to be the #1 option over the other……it just doesn’t work in todays NFL…..too much drama that teams prefer to stay away from.

Dude Derek Carr has never been considered a top QB in the NFL…..he went there for the money! What NFL reciever says to themselves I’d love to play with Derek Carr?!? 

One of his best friends 

• Thank you (+1) 1

I think a younger Diggs might now have wanted to play with another number 1 guy like Adams, but Diggs has lost enough in the playoffs (him hanging out on the field after the loss to the Chiefs, for example) and his career is winding down. I really think he'd welcome the chance to add Adams and have a bette shot at a ring.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.