Davante Adams trade speculation…UPDATE: Schefter says no chance he is traded today (link pg 17)

Alphadawg7

5 minutes ago, Mango said:

All of that is fine. But there is a piece missing. 

Bills are $33M over the cap as it stands right now. Adding Adams puts the Bills $50M over the cap. 

Now you have to spend at least some money to replace 5 starters and 20 other roster spots whose contracts expire. To do this the Bills would have to clear at least $65M or $70M in cap space, getting rid of even more starters than just the UFA I listed. None of which save them money for 2024, because they aren't on the books. 

If you want to have a conversation about whether or not it is worth it for 1 year, this year, sure. I think there is some validity. But if the Bills do it, they will struggle for a couple years.  New Orleans and the Rams are two fairly recent examples of teams going all in, and then needing a full tear down/reset starting in 2024. 

Poyer isn’t done after this year. You save money there. You save money by cutting White after June 1st. You can easily restructure Diggs and Allen to signing bonuses to save money. You can restructure guys like Morse, Von, even Adams if you trade for him to create more space.

again, there is always a way to make it happen. The Saints last year were 100m over the cap and they were still making some moves. It’s always possible. Just depends on  how much you want to kick the can down the road. I’m perfectly fine with continuing the kicking until Allen shows he doesn’t have it anymore. Within 2 years you could easily cut or restructure even more guys to make it work also. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, mrags said:

Poyer isn’t done after this year. You save money there. You save money by cutting White after June 1st. You can easily restructure Diggs and Allen to signing bonuses to save money. You can restructure guys like Morse, Von, even Adams if you trade for him to create more space.

again, there is always a way to make it happen. The Saints last year were 100m over the cap and they were still making some moves. It’s always possible. Just depends on  how much you want to kick the can down the road. I’m perfectly fine with continuing the kicking until Allen shows he doesn’t have it anymore. Within 2 years you could easily cut or restructure even more guys to make it work also. 

You can't/shouldn't do half of what you said. The Saints were $100M over the cap last year because they botched...well everything. And yes they are under the cap. But the part you left out was that they blow. 

Morse is a likely cut not restructure. Leaving a huge hole at starting center. 

Tre saves us $6M but still leaves a whole at starting CB. 

Von won't be restructured without an extension. He is $25M AAV from now until eternity. Von is a likely cut candidate after 2024. A restructure destroys that.
Diggs has no reasonable restructure without an extension. His contract is about $25M per year until 2027 when is 34. There is no way you extend him now. 

Adams is basically the same as Diggs, but way worse. You either extend him immediately (past 34 years old) or you have to cut him after 2024 for a $15M cap hit. 
Allen will only realistically be restructured with an extension. I expect this this season just to get us by without spending on a high priced receiver.

Where I do think think the Bills could make a major move this offseason is JuJu. He has been trash in NE, they have hi, right now, but NE isn't good either. I would consider maybe a 4th but I wouldn't do it if I couldn't immediately extend him for less than $10M AAV. 

19 minutes ago, Mango said:

You can't/shouldn't do half of what you said. The Saints were $100M over the cap last year because they botched...well everything. And yes they are under the cap. But the part you left out was that they blow. 

Morse is a likely cut not restructure. Leaving a huge hole at starting center. 

Tre saves us $6M but still leaves a whole at starting CB. 

Von won't be restructured without an extension. He is $25M AAV from now until eternity. Von is a likely cut candidate after 2024. A restructure destroys that.
Diggs has no reasonable restructure without an extension. His contract is about $25M per year until 2027 when is 34. There is no way you extend him now. 

Adams is basically the same as Diggs, but way worse. You either extend him immediately (past 34 years old) or you have to cut him after 2024 for a $15M cap hit. 
Allen will only realistically be restructured with an extension. I expect this this season just to get us by without spending on a high priced receiver.

Where I do think think the Bills could make a major move this offseason is JuJu. He has been trash in NE, they have hi, right now, but NE isn't good either. I would consider maybe a 4th but I wouldn't do it if I couldn't immediately extend him for less than $10M AAV. 

With everything you said. You started by saying that the Saints suck. Which is in fact false. They are not that bad and could very well win their division. But despite all that they are doing it with a terrible QB. Jist because their QB isn’t good doesn’t mean what they did didn’t work. It just means they made the wrong decision on the QB. We don’t have that problem.  

1 hour ago, mrags said:

The problem is that the Bills are likely not nor should they, sign Hyde. They shouldn’t keep Poyer as he has looked old and slow. Jones is old and eventually will hit Father Time, especially after a season ending injury. White is getting older and now is the perfect time to walk away from him and save millions. Davis has proven he’s nothing special. A decent #2 but that’s about it. Floyd is in a one year deal anyway. It would be criminal to pay AJ a big money 2nd contract at this point. 

I guess what I’m saying is, I really don’t care about the defense. They will be just fine. You apparently don’t need top 10 defenses every single year or we would have won a trophy by now. For once, spend some resources in the offense and make teams try and stop you. Or maybe, just maybe, we make McDermott earn his money as a defensive guru and utilize what he has. Cause he sure as hell doesn’t do anything for the offense. Besides, they are likely going to use 4-5 d stats picks on defense this coming year anyway. 

and lastly, I don’t care about next year. It’s not next year right now. Right now this offense and team needs a boost. Something to get them over the top. Make the moves now and figure it out later. It can be done. Stop wasting Allen’s prime years and go after it for once. 

This x10

What is the point of having a defensive guru if you need to spend so much of your capital on defense

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

This x10

What is the point of having a defensive guru if you need to spend so much of your capital on defense

My biggest issue with McClappy. If he’s so damn good why does he need all that draft capital, Free Agent studs to make it work. Dare I say that just about anyone could coach this star studded Defense to a top 10. 

• Like (+1) 2

https://x.com/AdamSchefter/status/1720918523617100031?s=20

Apparently confirmed the Jets were making a push to trade for Davante.  Wonder how Davante would feel about that, given one of his stated reasons for signing with Vegas was to be closer to his family on the west coast.  Funny how playing for a crappy team has likely changed his perspective.

7 hours ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

https://x.com/AdamSchefter/status/1720918523617100031?s=20

Apparently confirmed the Jets were making a push to trade for Davante.  Wonder how Davante would feel about that, given one of his stated reasons for signing with Vegas was to be closer to his family on the west coast.  Funny how playing for a crappy team has likely changed his perspective.

Not surprising from the Jets at all.   They also reportedly asked the Bucs about Mike Evans in the summer.   The Jets will DEFINITELY add another WR1 quality option opposite Wilson for next season because if you don't have 2 stud WR targets you are fighting an uphill battle against so many teams that have 2 or more.  

But there seems to be this idea that the Raiders would have traded Adams if they had already dumped McDaniels/Ziegler..........and I still doubt it.    Davis is now eating $85M in THOSE coaches PLUS what is left of the settlement of the Jon Gruden $100M contract and he would be eating more huge dead money dumping Adams.    Davis is a notoriously cash poor owner.   You are dead in the water without a WR1 in the NFL nowadays so it makes a lot of sense to hold onto Adams and not paint yourself into a corner on draft day or pay big guarantees to replace him.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.