Bring Kirksey up

John from Riverside

11 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I had a similar thought. I could see him getting his hands on it, but then drop it. 

I still don’t know if I’m sold on Bernard. If that d line can play that way consistently, this small backer thing might work after all 

I'm not sold on him either. But it was nice to see an impact play from that position. 

Of course, Edmunds is still young, almost a rookie, really. 😉

• Haha (+1) 2

12 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Bernard is proving that MLB is a devalued position. In pure talent the drop off from Edmunds to him is massive, and yet the defense as a whole is performing just as well if not better than last year.

Why do you say that? I think Bernard is every bit as athletic as Edmunds is - he's just half the size. The size/speed combination is what made Edmunds a first rounder and Bernard a third. To be honest the way Bernard is flying around it reminds of a young Milano. Guy plays with relentless effort, is not afraid to throw his body around, and plays fast (which screams instincts and confidence). He can get bullied when OL are able to climb to the second level - just like any other linebacker would. Good thing is we can scheme to allow him to be a free flower in most situations.

• Like (+1) 6

14 hours ago, NeverOutNick said:

I’m usually a glass half full guy and I’m seeing a lot of love for Bernard but outside of the INT I don’t get what everyone sees. He seems to be out of position a lot and not a big help against the run. I hope he grows into the position more and I’m happy he made that INT but I’d definitely bring Kirksey up sooner rather than later while the schedule is still somewhat soft 

I think its the leftovers from the Edmunds hate. People are so eager to say how amazing he has been and pretend like he is doing things Edmunds never could. He gets an assist on a tackle wear he jumps on the pile after the play and its the best play of all time. Outside of a few plays he does not have much that would go on a Bernard highlight real. I will bet everything I have that if today Bernard and Edmunds were free agents that Edmunds gets the bigger contract and potentially by 10 fold. That is not to say he is awful, though he has struggled at times, its more that is not doing anything outstanding. That seems to be the ceiling right now, don't do anything to hurt the team. But there is this odd wanting to celebrate mediocrity. Its ok to have higher expectations.

To Kirksey - I would like to see him brought up. I think he is at a minimum a run down back but could be the every down back and Bernard becomes the obvious passing situation guy. However, Kirksey is not bad in coverage. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, NeverOutNick said:

I’m usually a glass half full guy and I’m seeing a lot of love for Bernard but outside of the INT I don’t get what everyone sees. He seems to be out of position a lot and not a big help against the run. I hope he grows into the position more and I’m happy he made that INT but I’d definitely bring Kirksey up sooner rather than later while the schedule is still somewhat soft 

The best RB in the league last season got all of -2 yards against us on Sunday.  Bernard obviously played a part in that.  Why change anything with that kind of play?

While he may not be an amazing athlete.  Bernard has much better instincts on the football field then Tremaine Edmunds had.  And speaking of Edmunds, he maybe a very rich young man.  But he sure better get used to losing.  Because the Bears are terrible.

You could only activate Kirksey after he know the D inside out.  that position has the green dot, and has to call the plays.  Yes, this guy is a proven pro.  But, it takes time to learn the D, the terminology, and play the position the way McD wants it.  that is not necessarily the same as the Texans where he came from.  As soon as possible, but no sooner folks.

13 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Bernard is proving that MLB is a devalued position. In pure talent the drop off from Edmunds to him is massive, and yet the defense as a whole is performing just as well if not better than last year.

Bernard seems to have good instincts which Tremaine never developed. Benard is shooting the correct gaps like Tremaine never did and I was a big Edmunds fan, just not 18 million big 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

15 hours ago, NewEra said:

15% was garbage time when we pulled the starters, although he did get a couple snaps in the 3rd qtr iirc.  I remember seeing #25 thinking wth is that, Da’Norris Searcy?  

I couldn't see this on the televised game, but it appears to me from the snap counts that Taron Johnson was substituted out about 5% of the snaps, and Dodson took them (probably scattered throughout the game, meaning the Bills were in base 4-3 on some snaps)

The point wasn't that Dodson played extensively or anything like that; it was to the OP's "I never want to see Dodson on the field again" well, on Sunday you saw him and nothing particularly notable went down, it wasn't even noticed he was playing.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, HoofHearted said:

Why do you say that? I think Bernard is every bit as athletic as Edmunds is - he's just half the size. The size/speed combination is what made Edmunds a first rounder and Bernard a third. To be honest the way Bernard is flying around it reminds of a young Milano. Guy plays with relentless effort, is not afraid to throw his body around, and plays fast (which screams instincts and confidence). He can get bullied when OL are able to climb to the second level - just like any other linebacker would. Good thing is we can scheme to allow him to be a free flower in most situations.

My only concern about Bernard, from the way I've seen him play, is just that - that he can get trucked - maybe not just by OLmen, but by physical RBs and TEs.

I would have liked to see him come in with a more muscular build, but maybe he did get stronger and it just didn't show up as bulk.

The other thing that really struck me yesterday watching the Browns at Steelers game, is how the Steelers defenders often seemed to be on their own, to tackle or not.  The Bills defense seems to do a much better job of "flowing to the ball" and assisting each other, so maybe that can compensate.  We'll see when we play a team with a top TE.

Edited by Beck Water

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

I couldn't see this on the televised game, but it appears to me from the snap counts that Taron Johnson was substituted out about 5% of the snaps, and Dodson took them (probably scattered throughout the game, meaning the Bills were in base 4-3 on some snaps)

The point wasn't that Dodson played extensively or anything like that; it was to the OP's "I never want to see Dodson on the field again" well, on Sunday you saw him and nothing particularly notable went down, it wasn't even noticed he was playing.

Yeah that’s what they did.  Subbed Taron out and Dobson in.  Just a handful of plays. 

I was just chiming in to let you know that of his 20% of game snaps, 15% were garbage time (5% real snaps)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.