Republican debate GDT

All of Trump Twitter roasting DeSantis last night for having the “audacity” to ask why Trump isn’t at the GOP debate.  

Aside from the fact he isn’t a Republican, Trump Twitter (a platform he can use again but won’t outside of one mug shot post and link to donate to his legal fee…I mean campaign), Trump Twitter was telling us he was getting ***t done meeting with UAW reps:

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

I just watched it and I think the only two candidates that actually think they can win are Haley and DeSantis.  All others have ulterior motives imo (cabinet positions, media positions, they hate Trump, etc.).

Agreed. Haley seems to be playing the "maybe Trump will have a heart attack or somehow his base will abandon him" game.

DeSantis? I'm not so sure he's not just positioning himself for 2028. Unless he's on Trump heart attack watch too.

Christie: he must know in his heart that he has no chance. Grudge vs. Trump, but obviously no "I'm the Veep candidate" thing there.

Everyone else: "I'm the VEEP!" Or maybe the Secretary of Agriculture (that Burgum guy)

• Haha (+1) 2

saw this gem on CNN fact checker.  

Moderator Ilia Calderón asked Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis to address the descendants of enslaved people regarding his state’s new standards on how to teach Black history in schools.

Calderón: “Florida’s new Black history curriculum says, ‘slaves developed skills, which in some instances, could be applied for their personal benefit.’ You have said slaves developed skills in spite of slavery, not because of it. But many are still hurt. For descendants of slaves, this is personal. What is your message to them?”

DeSantis: “First of all, that’s a hoax that was perpetuated by Kamala Harris. We are not going to be doing that. Second of all, that was written by descendants of slaves, these are great Black history scholars, so we need to stop playing these games,” DeSantis said. - Mod creating a narrative.

Facts First: DeSantis’ claim is false. Florida’s new standards for teaching Black history do include the clause that Calderón read out.

In July, the Florida Board of Education approved a new set of standards for how Black history should be taught in the state’s public schools. The standards for middle schoolers include a benchmark that says, “Instruction includes how slaves developed skills which, in some instances, could be applied for their personal benefit.”

ADVERTISEMENT

When asked about the benchmark in July, DeSantis told CNN he “wasn’t involved.” Instead, just as he did in his response tonight, he deferred to those who wrote the education standards.

“You should talk to them about it. I didn’t do it. I wasn’t involved in it,” DeSantis said at the time.

Pressed further at the time, he said: “I think that they’re probably going to show some of the folks that eventually parlayed, you know, being a blacksmith into, into doing things later in life. But the reality is, all of that is rooted in whatever is factual. They listed everything out. And if you have any questions about it, just ask the Department of Education.”

DeSantis has argued that it is unfair to depict the standards as broadly pro-slavery, saying that they are clear and detailed about the evils of slavery.

The new standards have been criticized by civil rights advocates and Black lawmakers. Vice President Kamala Harris also criticized the new standards, saying in a speech in July “they decided middle school students will be taught that enslaved people benefited from slavery.” - verifying his reply.

• Haha (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Chris farley said:

Moderator Ilia Calderón asked Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis to address the descendants of enslaved people regarding his state’s new standards on how to teach Black history in schools.

Calderón: “Florida’s new Black history curriculum says, ‘slaves developed skills, which in some instances, could be applied for their personal benefit.’ You have said slaves developed skills in spite of slavery, not because of it. But many are still hurt. For descendants of slaves, this is personal. What is your message to them?”

DeSantis: “First of all, that’s a hoax that was perpetuated by Kamala Harris. We are not going to be doing that. Second of all, that was written by descendants of slaves, these are great Black history scholars, so we need to stop playing these games,” DeSantis said. - Mod creating a narrative.

Facts First: DeSantis’ claim is false. Florida’s new standards for teaching Black history do include the clause that Calderón read out.

In July, the Florida Board of Education approved a new set of standards for how Black history should be taught in the state’s public schools. The standards for middle schoolers include a benchmark that says, “Instruction includes how slaves developed skills which, in some instances, could be applied for their personal benefit.”

ADVERTISEMENT

When asked about the benchmark in July, DeSantis told CNN he “wasn’t involved.” Instead, just as he did in his response tonight, he deferred to those who wrote the education standards.

“You should talk to them about it. I didn’t do it. I wasn’t involved in it,” DeSantis said at the time.

Pressed further at the time, he said: “I think that they’re probably going to show some of the folks that eventually parlayed, you know, being a blacksmith into, into doing things later in life. But the reality is, all of that is rooted in whatever is factual. They listed everything out. And if you have any questions about it, just ask the Department of Education.”

DeSantis has argued that it is unfair to depict the standards as broadly pro-slavery, saying that they are clear and detailed about the evils of slavery.

The new standards have been criticized by civil rights advocates and Black lawmakers. Vice President Kamala Harris also criticized the new standards, saying in a speech in July “they decided middle school students will be taught that enslaved people benefited from slavery.” - verifying his reply.

DeSantis: just stop doubling down on this. How about "it's a work in progress, and while I'm very happy with the overall emphasis, obviously there will be changes as it is rolled out."

Symbolic of why he just can't seem to get traction.

"If there was one constant on Wednesday night,

it was that the Fox News anchor did not want to hear from the North Dakota governor" (The Daily Beast).

https://www.thedailybeast.com/dana-perino-just-kept-hurting-doug-burgums-feelings-at-gop-debate

"Why is Doug Burgum aggressively injecting himself into the debate, even when he hasn't been asked a question?" (Wall Street Journal).

https://www.wsj.com/livecoverage/gop-republican-debate-reagan-library/card/doug-burgum-s-last-chance-SBCyEuMdGFhDqyfzK5br

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, Chris farley said:

ADVERTISEMENT

I actually read the standard.

it literally has a unit requirement to describe the specific skill and trade work enslaved people engaged in. 

It didn’t in anyway couch it as sone silver lining like the dishonest grifters suggest in generating faux outrage. 

it’s a shame lying and activism narratives underpin everything the msm does. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, The Frankish Reich said:

DeSantis: just stop doubling down on this. How about "it's a work in progress, and while I'm very happy with the overall emphasis, obviously there will be changes as it is rolled out."

Honestly.  if trying to debate, not the modern game of gotcha talking points, one does not defend or respond to a strawman like Ilia Calderón.

but then again, these "debates" are just theatre for them to try to get their talking points in.

and deflect from their failures.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Curious why Vivek is against birthright citizenship when he himself is a birthright citizen. 

11 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

The last SIXTEEN YEARS:

Obama - a moron with zero experience and zero accomplishments of any significance - but he spoke well and made whites comfortable.  Despite being the most divisive president in modern history.  Deliberately so.  

Trump - uses the Republican Party to gain the nomination and an army of social media influencers to sweep thru the primary and (rightly) convince the GOP the old guard had to go.  The problem - completely incompetent at managing and overseeing the bureaucracy he promised to drain.  It’s only worse.  And he’s doing nothing but be his own worst enemy.  He’s going to run under indictment.  What a country.  

Biden - a corpse that’s playing Weekend At Bernie’s for Team Obama.  The most embarrassing president this country has ever had that “won” because the former land of the free and home of the brave - that’s Florida now - allowed a fake flu virus scared them into destroying itself; and Silicon Valley took care of the rest permanently aligning big corporations with the State.  

Meanwhile, in Florida.  A governor running for POTUS has an actual record of achievement.  Fights all the correct culture fights, understands the new left and it’s threat to America (he can define a woman), and in addition served in the military.  

***t hole country deserves the clown shows it continues to vote for.  I can no longer take part in the blatantly obvious distractions and low info discussions about ***t no one cares about as you continue to leave this country worse off to the kids we’re only going to have significantly less of because we can’t afford anything and, you aren’t allowed to say anything sane.  Like there are 2 genders and grooming trans kids being pushed by Ds is evil.  

Good luck y’all.  

You mad because DeSantis has the personality of a soggy mushroom and his culture war is actually unpopular outside of Florida?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

You mad because DeSantis has the personality of a soggy mushroom and his culture war is actually unpopular outside of Florida?

people are not fleeing Florida like they are in Solid DEM states.

The DEM policy doesn't seem to be popular. based on the amount of people fleeing it.

1 hour ago, The Frankish Reich said:

He’s trying too hard to be who he’s not in my opinion.

His strongest performance ever was when he eviscerated a reporter trying to accuse him of corruption when he detailed with salient logic how his administration worked with Publix to accelerate statewide vaccine distribution.  He was in command of the facts, and looked confident and had that arrogance of strong leadership. 

Since then, in trying to enhance likability and attacking to the right of trump and trying to over pronounce his vigilance against wokeness and the public side show with Disney … it didn’t win him primary standing, and hurt his general electability. 

I don’t know if there is a winning strategy right now to break trumps support, in this primary then general construct but Ron’s isn’t working right now for sure. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Chris farley said:

The DEM policy doesn't seem to be popular. based on the amount of people fleeing it.

People are leaving states like California because housing is too expensive in the most desirable parts. People want to live in San Fran, not Bakersfield. 

• Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, Roundybout said:

Curious why Vivek is against birthright citizenship when he himself is a birthright citizen. 

The opposition was specifically in context of illegal entry. Made the example that if a foreign National has a child on us soil, that child isn’t an automatic citizen. 

It’s a reasonable question; why are foreign nationals illegally in this country treated exactly as legal migrants? 

1 minute ago, Roundybout said:

People are leaving states like California because housing is too expensive in the most desirable parts. People want to live in San Fran, not Bakersfield. 

Check out Redfin downtown, San Fran. There are blocks of vacant apparent buildings and condos up for sale. Supply seems to be way out ahead of demand 

• Thank you (+1) 2

15 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Bergam with the quote of the night. 

the healthcare industry is the only Industry in history of the world that absorbed a trillion dollars in IT investment and got less efficient….

That’s Obama care in a nutshell 

We use EPIC.  For anesthesia it's great.  Everyone else hates it.

2 hours ago, Chris farley said:

Yeah everyone'ds flocking to Florida and don't gave a ***** about DeSantis' personality. 

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

The opposition was specifically in context of illegal entry. Made the example that if a foreign National has a child on us soil, that child isn’t an automatic citizen. 

It’s a reasonable question; why are foreign nationals illegally in this country treated exactly as legal migrants? 

Because they pay taxes and contribute to the economy all the same and it’s not logistically feasible to round every one of them up and dump them wherever.