Training Camp - 8/10 - 9:45am - Final day at Fisher (No Pads)

The Wiz

18 minutes ago, bourbonboy said:

The OC and WR1 are trying to help Elam - not sure why the DB coach is not - but if Elam gets called for PI and keeps our O off the field, its every bit as much of an issue as the drops we saw from l'il dirty and gabe last year that drove us all nuts. Just saying.

There is truth in what you say, but during actual games CBs hold with great regularity, and are seldom penalized for doing so, it’s a matter of taking what the Refs are allowing, Sauce comes to mind as an example, 

• Like (+1) 1

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

So the only thing I’m gonna say on this is I don’t remember seeing Elam getting flagged for penalties whenever he was in the games last year sure does he need to work on his holding yes but the NFL allows a ton of holding if they didn’t allow holding sauce. Gardner wouldn’t be the player that is. 

That is a fine line, agreed, hate when one of those calls decides a game....

You don't want to kill the aggressiveness, but note that the OC and WR1 are not having discussions with Jackson or Benford. It is only Elam. That is my concern (and pretty sure its not because Jackson and Benford need to be holding more). I am so not an Elam hater - I would love him to be take the #2 spot. Just don't want us giving up 1st downs for ref calls.

I really like Joe B's "Bills Camp Debrief" in the Athletic.

Paywall of course

Players who improved their position:  Cook, Kincaid, Bates, Rousseau, Lewis

Even with a late-camp injury, Lewis had one of the strongest camps relative to the players who needed to show it the most. He flashed with some good plays as both a backup safety and nickel and occupies both of those positions on the team’s unofficial depth chart. But even more, he solidified his position as one of their top special teams options and could fulfill the massive void left by multi-year special teams ace Taiwan Jones after the team moved on from him this offseason. Lewis gives the Bills more versatility than anyone else on the roster. In my opinion, he’s nearing lock status for the 53-man roster.

Read it and weep, Cam Lewis PTSD sufferers!

Players who could use a good preseason showing:  Kyle Allen, Khalil Shakir, Tommy Doyle, Shaq Lawson, AJ Klein

It wasn’t necessarily a bad camp for Shakir, who had some nice moments and a couple of highlight-reel receptions. He just faded into the background far too often despite getting a good amount of time with the first-team offense, along with a few concentration drops mixing in over the last 12 practices. Shakir allowed Trent Sherfield and Deonte Harty to catch him in whatever advantage Shakir had from his 2022 rookie season. He could still emerge as their top third receiver option when they’re in 11 personnel, but Sherfield has given them more juice at that position in practices. A strong preseason showing would help Shakir’s initial play time.

Positions the Bills could still address before the season

Backup quarterback

The Kyle Allen section should explain it all, and Matt Barkley has also struggled this summer. If the Bills don’t see one of these two players step up in the preseason and grab hold of the job, general manager Brandon Beane could quickly get aggressive on the trade market before final cuts and bring in an upgrade behind Josh Allen.

Offensive tackle

The depth behind starters Dion Dawkins and Spencer Brown remains a bit uninspiring, with David Quessenberry emerging as their top option once again in 2023. His in-game struggles in 2022 could lead to the Bills searching for an upgrade at third offensive tackle, and an insurance policy for Brown if he doesn’t take a step forward in his third season.

"a bit uninspiring" 😅.  For what it's worth, they did list Brandon Shell ahead of Quessenbery on that depth chart.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Most contenders don't have a great backup

If you have a great backup you probably don't have a great starter... Kyle Allen's career passer rating is 10 points higher than Blaine gabbard the Chiefs backup

It amazed me to learn Gabbert is still in the league

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Beck Water said:

It amazed me to learn Gabbert is still in the league

Yea, he hasn't been heard from in a while lol that's the life of a backup tho

And if you don't mind riding pine ... It's like the cushiest Job in sports

Having a great team attitude and being WE first over ME first... Goes a long way with winning the job also... Team players

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Beck Water said:

I really like Joe B's "Bills Camp Debrief" in the Athletic.

Paywall of course

Players who improved their position:  Cook, Kincaid, Bates, Rousseau, Lewis

Read it and weep, Cam Lewis PTSD sufferers!

Players who could use a good preseason showing:  Kyle Allen, Khalil Shakir, Tommy Doyle, Shaq Lawson, AJ Klein

"a bit uninspiring" 😅.  For what it's worth, they did list Brandon Shell ahead of Quessenbery on that depth chart.

My boy cam!

5 hours ago, NewEra said:

Yes- could be that people disagree with you and decide to tell you why

My point was that we can discuss and post anything Bills related  here regardless if you like it or not . 

Glad you understand that. 👍

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.