Ohtani- make your predictions now

major

Two questions: 

1. Will he be traded before deadline? If so, to where? 
2. Will he pass Aaron Judge’s home run record at end of this season?

*Personally, I don’t think he gets traded and I think he stays with angels for the duration of his career, like Trout. And yes, I think he passes Aaron Judge this year in Hr’s. What say you?

I believe he will not get traded because of the fact that he is in pursuit of the American League HR record set by Judge last year, and the Angels will want the sellout crowds that will come with that pursuit.

I believe he has a better than 50/50 shot of breaking the AL HR record, and I hope he does it.

I also believe that he will leave the Angels and sign as a FA to one of the many teams who will back up a Billion dollar Brinks truck to his front door!!

Being the angels owner it would be tough to have that label of trading a generational talent. 

That said, I think he has to bc I don't see him re-signing there, especially when he says he wants to play on a playoff/winning team. He needs to get something or let him walk with nothing in return.

Now, what's trade compensation look like for getting a player like him with only a guarantee of having him for a playoff push? Tricky situation as baseball doesn't allow negotiation of a new contract prior to trade

20 hours ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

I also think the Angels won't trade him.  My Orioles have been mentioned but I hope they don't do it and give up a shitload of prospects, because there is no way they are going to pay him 500 to 600 million to keep him.

The Orioles have a bajillion prospects.  I agree they should not make the trade.

I’m not sure why but I think the Angels retain Ohtani short and long term.  I don’t think he gets the record.  

If he were to get traded, I think the team that can give up the most prospects is the Dodgers but no way does the Angels owner allow that.  Texas and Seattle are next….both division opponents.  Not much makes sense to me.

I will throw out two wild scenarios.  The Twins are a good team with prospects but need a top line bat.  They can give back well rounded players/prospects.  The wildest is the Padres doing a 1-1 for Soto.  Soto has one more year and neither team can afford both.  It gives the Padres a shot at signing Ohtani and gets a great consolation prize for the Angels.  Lastly the Padres give up Soto as a seller in a three way trade with Ohtani going to a 3rd team and the Padres getting the bulk of the prospects.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

Being the angels owner it would be tough to have that label of trading a generational talent. 

That said, I think he has to bc I don't see him re-signing there, especially when he says he wants to play on a playoff/winning team. He needs to get something or let him walk with nothing in return.

Now, what's trade compensation look like for getting a player like him with only a guarantee of having him for a playoff push? Tricky situation as baseball doesn't allow negotiation of a new contract prior to trade

I didn't know that about not letting a new team negotiate with permission. Of course that rule is easy enough to ignore with a wink wink deal

21 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

But,  I mean,  he got Ohtani for free.   Ohtani chose them.   They didn't even have to use a draft pick on him or even pay him a big bonus or salary.   He's just now qualifying for free agency.   That's the ineptitude of the Angels organization.........they were handed Shohei Ohtani at a time when they already had the then-best player in baseball in Mike Trout on their roster and 5 years later they haven't fielded a good enough team to make the playoffs. :doh:   

• Agree 3

16 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

But,  I mean,  he got Ohtani for free.   Ohtani chose them.   They didn't even have to use a draft pick on him or even pay him a big bonus or salary.   He's just now qualifying for free agency.   That's the ineptitude of the Angels organization.........they were handed Shohei Ohtani at a time when they already had the then-best player in baseball in Mike Trout on their roster and 5 years later they haven't fielded a good enough team to make the playoffs. :doh:   

Two words:

Anthony Rendon.  

Just kidding.  But they made a lot of bad moves.

• 1 month later...
On 7/22/2023 at 10:15 PM, major said:

Two questions: 

1. Will he be traded before deadline? If so, to where? 
2. Will he pass Aaron Judge’s home run record at end of this season?

*Personally, I don’t think he gets traded and I think he stays with angels for the duration of his career, like Trout. And yes, I think he passes Aaron Judge this year in Hr’s. What say you?

I got one right- he wasn’t traded. But I think I’m going to be wrong on him passing Judge. Since he has the injury and after season surgery, I feel more than ever like he will stay with the angels long term  (which means we won’t see him until 2025)

13 hours ago, major said:

I got one right- he wasn’t traded. But I think I’m going to be wrong on him passing Judge. Since he has the injury and after season surgery, I feel more than ever like he will stay with the angels long term  (which means we won’t see him until 2025)

Even if he gets TJ it just means he won’t pitch until 2025.  He will be back to hitting relatively early in 2024.  Bryce Harper is doing it now and playing on defense.  Ohtani is a DH.

• Like (+1) 1

• 4 weeks later...
14 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

The fact that he cleared out his locker unexpectedly a week or so ago makes me think otherwise.

He’s done for the season with TJ surgery.  He had to clear out his locker.  I don’t think it means the Angels are impossible.  It will be very interesting.

8 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

He’s done for the season with TJ surgery.  He had to clear out his locker.  I don’t think it means the Angels are impossible.  It will be very interesting.

I don't have a strong opinion either way, but from what I read he cleared out his locker without telling the Angels and left them scrambling to explain it the following day. Could be a nothing burger, but I filed it under things that make you go hmmm.

9 hours ago, UConn James said:

According to some reports I saw his Angels teammates smashed something he left behind. Like a cup or a mug iirc? 

1 hour ago, SinceThe70s said:

I don't have a strong opinion either way, but from what I read he cleared out his locker without telling the Angels and left them scrambling to explain it the following day. Could be a nothing burger, but I filed it under things that make you go hmmm.

Ohtani has never struck me as unprofessional or a bad teammate.  I’d say it is way less than 50% he will be back……but that’s because he’s a free agent and every team in the league would love to have him.  He needed TJ and was on the DL with an oblique, the Angels are long gone from any race, Trout has been out, they’re playing their kids….of which they have few.  Cleaning his locker should not be seen as a negative IMO.  Did they want him to do it with a surgically repaired elbow?

As for teammates smashing his stuff, that would have to be some idiot and horrible teammate.  They are everywhere but the Angels have the greatest horrible teammate of all time.  Anthony Rendon.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.