OT…opinions of Jalen Hurts

On 7/22/2023 at 4:09 PM, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

I believe you are mistaken.  I've searched and could not find anything about a new rule to ban the "tush- push".

Last I saw, the rule wasn't even considered for a vote. I've also heard a few teams are planning to put it in their playbook.

On 7/21/2023 at 11:23 PM, newcam2012 said:

I love Allen but Hurts could be better than him. The guy is fabulous with his legs, has that it factor, is a winner, and has become a very good passer. He had an outstanding season and super bowl. 

I still have Allen ranked higher but I can see why Hurts is receiving a lot of accolades. He looks the part. Only question is can he build upon his great season and play similarly. 

Hurts is kind of a victim of his own team…that roster is just absolutely loaded so he’s probably always gonna get ranked below guys that we have watched carry teams single handedly 

I think if you swapped josh and jalen the bills would get worse and the eagles would get better but there’s no way to prove or disprove that hypothetical obviously 

• Like (+1) 1

Carson Wentz played at an MVP level for an nearly an entire season till he got hurt.   one year doesnt mean much imo.    we'll see how well Hurtz does with a full season of tape on him.   he better hope that amazing OLine stays healthy.

On 7/22/2023 at 9:12 PM, BADOLBILZ said:

No none of Allen, Mahomes or Burrow has as much combined OL and receiving talent as Hurts.    That's not even particularly debatable.   Bills and Chiefs have mediocre weapons(around 20th best in the NFL) and the Bengals have had bad offensive lines every year under Burrow.

Hurts is set up.........but 14th in TD passes and 10th in passing yardage doesn't "eyeball test" as elite to me.   Brock Purdy was set up to put up huge efficiency numbers  with the leagues best overall group of playmakers and an excellent offensive line too.   I don't think Purdy is elite either, do you?   Did he pass the eyeball test to you because he had more yards per attempt,  a higher QB rating and a higher QBR than Hurts all in a pretty good portion of a full season?   If it only being one season causes you pause remember that Jalen Hurts was not very good his first two seasons in the NFL. 

We’ll see which one of us is right soon enough.  🤷🏾‍♂️

4 minutes ago, purple haze said:

We’ll see which one of us is right soon enough.  🤷🏾‍♂️

Well you are already wrong about the quality of offensive talent around each of those quarterbacks..........basically your rationale is already wrong.

You can want him to be great but as I said........Nick Foles was great for a season under Chip Kelly and Carson Wentz was great for a season under Doug Pederson.   The common denominator was that they had a big advantage.........in Foles' case it was an offense the league didn't know how to defend yet and in Wentz case it was having the best roster in the league.  

Hurts has the best roster in the league on paper and, in particular, the best combination of OL and skill talent on offense.  We will see if Hurts can maintain his overall productivity while elevating his modest bulk passing production,  which is NOT elite.   Foles and Wentz looked entirely different when the talent around them and schematic advantage declined.    Elite QB's do not fall apart like that.

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/22/2023 at 7:45 AM, BuffaloBillyG said:

When people debate Allen's place in the top end of QBs us Bills fans are always quick to point out that you have to incorporate Josh's rushing ability into the equation. Same should apply to Hurts.

Minimize him for 22 passing YDs, but don't forget to stack those 13 rushing TDs he scored last year or the fact that he only turned the ball over 6 times in the regular season.

Is Hurts an "elite" QB? No, not yet. He had an elite season last year and is trending in that direction IMO.  

That's 35 total when the really elite QBs are putting up 40+ total tds. 

Don't count on 13 rushing tds this season.  I'll be surprised if he gets over 8.

We'll see what happens this season. Maybe he is legit, maybe not. 

I think he's more hype than skill for a few different reasons, one being where he plays. Time will tell. 

8 hours ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Hurts is kind of a victim of his own team…that roster is just absolutely loaded so he’s probably always gonna get ranked below guys that we have watched carry teams single handedly 

I think if you swapped josh and jalen the bills would get worse and the eagles would get better but there’s no way to prove or disprove that hypothetical obviously 

I would take Allen over Hurts all day every day. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.