Giants signing Cole Beasley

dreadlox

On 7/22/2023 at 6:01 PM, tomur67 said:

I can’t understand the hatred for Beas.  Just because he had a different opinion about Covid than you did is a pretty lame reason to hate the the guy. There were many prominent people who had the same opinion as he did, including many in the medical field. For two seasons, he was an integral reason for Josh’s success. Best of luck Beas!

It was never his disagreement with covid vax, it was his childish manner in which he displayed his opinion. Many people had varying opinions on the subject and they didn'take a spectacle of themselves in the process. Beasley did. As a player, I liked him too ...

• Agree 10

On 7/22/2023 at 9:10 AM, AuntieEm said:

Never know  Cole may just be okay with collecting a ps check with a  gig on the NY Giants PS as insurance.  He collects a bit of cash as a vet and might have some studio work for his rapping in the NYC area.

I could be wrong, but I don't think Beasley wants to live on the practice squad.  Guy has $38.9M in career earnings, and unless you count recording equipment or building basketball courts on his properties, I don't think he's squandered it a bit. PS guys make a max of what, $385k?  What's 1% to Beasley?

He wants to play, and he thinks he's still got it.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

14 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I could be wrong, but I don't think Beasley wants to live on the practice squad.  Guy has $38.9M in career earnings, and unless you count recording equipment or building basketball courts on his properties, I don't think he's squandered it a bit. PS guys make a max of what, $385k?  What's 1% to Beasley?

He wants to play, and he thinks he's still got it.

Agree. 

Cole has always been a bit... different. I remember when we signed him he talked about turning down more money to sign with New England to come here. It's not about money for him. 

He's a guy that has been told his whole career that he can't do it. Too small. Too slow. He lives to prove other people wrong. That's why he wants to be on the field playing. He can't do that on a practice squad. I would guess he retires again before he takes that role. 

it's not infalliable, but the way a team ranks it's WR is often reflected in $$

Beasley is #8 for the Giants

24 minutes ago, Slippery Rubber Mats said:

I think he's still got game, but his body seems to break down

I don't know if it's a function of injury then continuing recovery, but I thought he was slow getting to the spot in 2021 and painfully slow in 2022.

He was making or attempting to make some circus catches, but in part that was because he wasn't where he was supposed to be (yet) when the ball was thrown

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

Interesting, thats a really thin WR room. Davis would be the clear wr1 there.

I mean he was good off the couch w Dorsey. He doesn't rely on speed, just getting to soft spots in zone. I think Buf just wanted more explosiveness from the slot

Honestly, JB, I can't imagine that they are looking for more than 3-4 grabs a game, all for about 8-10 yards a pop and a couple of first downs.  If he still has anything left that is what they will get.  I don't think he is a key for them, but he does give them that slot threat/dump off.

1 hour ago, machine gun kelly said:

Hey donuts, you may be right.  He’s definitely lost a step.  Most likely he’ll be good for 7 yard quick out passes, but not much after the catch.

That will help the Giants keep the sticks moving.  He’s reliable and has sure hands.  He’s just lost the athleticism he once had at a younger age.  This isn’t me banging on the guy.  The Giants need bandaids to keep in the hunt in the NFCE.

It makes sense for Dabbs.  Since he and Schoen went there, I’ve become a small Giants supporter.  Nothing like the Bills, but I want them to succeed.  I’m still hopeful we beat them in October, but confident this may be Von’s first game and you know he’ll have a big game.

Guns, solid points.  Additionally, I can't think of a move that Daboll and Schoen done since they got to New York that I haven't liked.  Not everything will pan out, but I like that team and it doesn't hurt that I love the guys running it.

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

That's a really solid stat line for a preseason game...however in this case it feels like more information is needed.

For instance, being preseason was he with the 1s working against 1s and 2s from the Lions? Did he do his damage against late in the game going against those the general public like to say are headed for grocery clerk status? How deep into the game did he play? 

I ask not to bash but because I didn't catch the game and don't know the answer. However usage and level of opponent really comes into play during the preseason as well.

BBG, you are absolutely right.  I, too, did not catch the game.  I was just checking the stat line as I believe someone on NFL Network was referencing that he had a good game.

BTW, my post about him was NOT about him staying here or that he should have stayed here.  We have better options, top to bottom.  I just remembered this thread and details on game 1 were referenced this morning.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Honestly, JB, I can't imagine that they are looking for more than 3-4 grabs a game, all for about 8-10 yards a pop and a couple of first downs.  If he still has anything left that is what they will get.  I don't think he is a key for them, but he does give them that slot threat/dump off.

The Giants signed Paris Campbell, who is primarily a slot, for $2.9M guaranteed.  Then they signed Jamison Crowder to a VSB (vet salary benefit) contract with small signing, workout, and roster bonuses.

Then they signed Beasley to vet minimum with NO bonuses

The general feeling on folks covering the Giants seems to be that Shepard, Slayton, Hodgins, 3rd round pick Jalin Hyatt, and Parris Campbell are sho-ins.

That probably leaves one roster spot.  Crowder can return punts and kicks - did last year and the year before.  Beasley has returned punts and kicks in the past, but has not done so since 2018.

Some Giants writers are putting Beasley ahead of Crowder.  Both caught everything thrown at them in the game vs the Lions, Crowder 2 of 2 for 32 yds, Beasley 4 of 4 for 33 yds.  Beasley played in the 1Q, Crowder in the 2Q, which is often held to indicate position on the depth chart, but it's only the 1st preseason game.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

The Giants signed Paris Campbell, who is primarily a slot, for $2.9M guaranteed.  Then they signed Jamison Crowder to a VSB (vet salary benefit) contract with small signing, workout, and roster bonuses.

The general feeling on folks covering the Giants seems to be that Shepard, Slayton, Hodgins, 3rd round pick Jalin Hyatt, and Parris Campbell are sho-ins.

That probably leaves one roster spot.  Crowder can return punts and kicks - did last year and the year before.  Beasley has returned punts and kicks in the past, but has not done so since 2018.

Some Giants writers are putting Beasley ahead of Crowder.  Both caught everything thrown at them in the game vs the Lions, Crowder 2 of 2 for 32 yds, Beasley 4 of 4 for 33 yds.  Beasley played in the 1Q, Crowder in the 2Q, which is often held to indicate position on the depth chart, but it's only the 1st preseason game.

Beck, thank you for the info.  Great stuff.  

Honestly going to be watching this if I get the chance during the next two games.

It is preseason, but I am starting to get so wound up for the season I just need more and more to think about, even above and beyond the Bills.

Unless everyone else here just wants to listen to and watch the talking heads fall all over themselves about the Jets for the next three weeks?

😉

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

That's a really solid stat line for a preseason game...however in this case it feels like more information is needed.

For instance, being preseason was he with the 1s working against 1s and 2s from the Lions? Did he do his damage against late in the game going against those the general public like to say are headed for grocery clerk status? How deep into the game did he play? 

I ask not to bash but because I didn't catch the game and don't know the answer. However usage and level of opponent really comes into play during the preseason as well.

You can check the play by play in the PDF available at the bottom of "game details".

Beas played in the 1Q, with Tyrod Taylor and then DeVito.  Crowder played early in the 2nd with DeVito.

• Thank you (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

You left off maybe their best wr, WanDale Robinson.  I thought initially Beasley was almost there as a tryout in case the giants had injuries during the season so camp was a time for him to get familiar with the giants offense.   Now I think he has taken crowders job.  

Now I kind of think crowder is the odd guy out.  Collin Johnson is going to be on the PS for sure...not sure how many wr a team with a shaky line can carry.

Edited by MikePJ76
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

Bease is going to EAT in Daboll's loaded offense and this move makes me feel much more confident about picking the Giants to make the SB this year in the NFC.

so...you still saying stupid ***** on twitter?

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

I could give a **** less about someone’s politics. Always loved Beas and his swagger. Hope he does well and sticks it to the Cowboys.

Biggest mistake this regime made last year was dumping him for Lil Useless McKenzie.

All reports out of NY is that Bease looks refreshed and healthy. I think Giants offense going to be among leagues best if Daniel Jones momentum continues...

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.