6/13 Day 1 and 6/14 Day 2 Mandatory Minicamp

Beck Water

A few quotes I pulled:

Gabe Davis and Trent Sherfield shared the receiver spotlight – not counting Stefon Diggs – and ended the spring portion of Buffalo Bills’ practice on a high note Wednesday in Orchard Park.

Davis, the fourth-year receiver who had 48 catches last year, got big separation in the back left corner of the end zone and caught a 25-yard touchdown pass from Josh Allen early in the practice. Allen did a good job of manipulating the secondary.

A little later, Davis went to the right back corner of the end zone for a 5-yard TD pass from Allen at the start of a “short red zone” session – inside the opposition’s 10-yard line.

Sherfield, the free-agent signee from the Miami Dolphins, had three catches on passes from Allen. The best was an acrobatic, 18-yard leaping grab along the left sideline on which he got both feet down.

Allen and backup quarterback Kyle Allen were effective in the red-zone sessions.

Besides the short TD strike to Davis, Josh Allen had a short TD pass to running back James Cook and a quick out TD to receiver Deonte Harty along the goal line.

Second-year receiver Khalil Shakir, a standout in spring workouts, had only one catch in 11-on-11 work but it was a good one. He plucked a sharp throw from Josh Allen over the middle for 18 yards on the second play from scrimmage in the team work.

Second-year cornerback Christian Benford had Sherfield well covered on a deep bomb attempt from Josh Allen on the first play of the practice. Benford forced the incompletion.

Kaiir Elam had good coverage on Shakir in the corner of the end zone on an incompletion from Josh Allen.

Backup tackle Tommy Doyle, a fifth-round pick from 2021, took part in individual and offensive-line drills. He got a few snaps in 11-on-11 work on Tuesday, as well.

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

A few quotes I pulled:

Thanks, great info.

Doyle practicing already, even if not full practice, is a bit surprising.  Perhaps it was just speculation, but thought he'd be a PUP candidate.

Shakir news continues to be very positive, he has sneaky RAC ability/speed.  Definitely a different looking pass attack than LY, if he and Kincaid meet expectations.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Allen sharp in team drills

Even without Diggs during team drills, Allen looked incredibly sharp throughout 11-on-11 work Wednesday as the offense rifled through several in-game situations. With solid protection in front of him, Allen held firm in the pocket all day and delivered some on-time laser throws as he manipulated the Bills’ defense. Among his throw highlights throughout the day, Allen rifled one between defenders into the outstretched arms of second-year receiver Khalil Shakir, which also required an excellent off-body catch from the wideout. A few plays later, Allen manipulated the defense with his eyes off his eventual target and came back to Gabe Davis for a deep touchdown throw that was perfectly on target. Later on, he connected on an intermediate-to-deep throw toward the sideline that split two oncoming defenders, about which the details in my notebook read “an absolute dart.”

In all, Allen went 9-of-14 with three touchdown tosses throughout the day. Two of the incompletions were intentional throwaways, and two others needed a good pass breakup from a defender, which further explained his excellent performance. Although it’s merely a minicamp and Allen is one of the best quarterbacks in the league, it’s an encouraging sign for the team to see him dialed in throughout offseason practices.

Sherfield connecting with Allen once again

As has been the case throughout the offseason workouts, without Diggs available to team drills, newly signed receiver Trent Sherfield has stepped up and been a favorite of Allen’s. Of Allen’s 12 attempts that weren’t clear throwaways, he targeted Sherfield four times for three completions. On his first target, Sherfield went into his break and came out of it with ample separation from the defender for an easy catch. The two connected on the second target on a fired-in pass over the middle of the field that gave Sherfield room to roam after the catch. Sherfield was also the open target and the recipient of the “absolute dart” throw toward the sideline. The only ball Sherfield didn’t bring down was on a pass deep down the field that needed a pass breakup from a defender.

It’s always a good rule of thumb not to go overboard with performances from May and June workouts, but of the players vying to be the third receiver behind the starters, Diggs and Gabe Davis, Sherfield has stood out the most this spring. That’s not to slight Shakir and Deonte Harty, as they’ve also made some good plays this spring, but Sherfield has consistently stood out during open practices. Along the way, he’s impressed Allen with his work ethic and clear ability to get open as a dependable target in a practice setting. Sherfield seems to have the skill set to play multiple positions within the Bills offense, perhaps even as the understudy to both Diggs and Davis. The next task for Sherfield is to show that his excellent spring can translate into training camp when the pads go on and the defenders are allowed to get much more physical with skill players.

How the guards fared without pads

As the battle for both starting guard spots takes shape and continues into July and August for training camp, some of the players displayed excellent solo and combination blocks throughout Tuesday and Wednesday’s session. Last year’s starting right guard Ryan Bates worked well with Spencer Brown on several occasions throughout the two days, doing well at coming together and communicating on combination blocks of DaQuan Jones and Ed Oliver. Connor McGovern also showed a good rapport with Dion Dawkins on some reps littered through the minicamp as well. Rookie guard O’Cyrus Torrence stood up well for the most part in a good test against defensive tackles Poona Ford and Tim Settle. You can only take offensive line performances in the spring so far without pads, but Allen had ample time to operate during the minicamp, which is a good start. The solid showings set up for a fascinating competition when the Bills get to St. John Fisher University.

Benford showing well in coverage as CB2 competition continues

The Bills have left the door open for a cornerback competition for a second straight year, only this time, it will only be for one spot rather than two. Dane Jackson has fared well throughout the open practices at OTAs, and Wednesday, Christian Benford put together a pair of excellent pass breakups with tight coverage. He helped to force the only incompletion when Allen targeted Sherfield, and later in the day, Benford broke up a Matt Barkley pass intended for Dezmon Patmon. Jackson, Benford and 2022 first-round pick Kaiir Elam will likely remain in a battle when the Bills return for training camp in late July. When asked about the cornerback job, the Bills said starting jobs would go to the players who earn the role, regardless of contract or draft status, making the competition likely wide open. Much like with middle linebacker, it’s fair to expect the cornerback competition to extend through all of camp and into the preseason until the Bills find the best running mate for starter Tre’Davious White.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 4

Great to hear Allen looking very sharp and manipulating the D with his eyes. Also very good to hear that Sherfield has been very consistent and looks like he's winning the battle for the next WR spot (I read elsewhere that Shakir also had a good minicamp).

No, that's no guarantee of anything when the real games come but he's still just 27 (has a few good years left) and is 219 and runs a 4.45 40 — I like this size (more muscle than height, though) and speed combo... And he's got a great story (some may not care, but I like to see good people succeed if they put in the work).

Any summary of how Harty did in minicamp?

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

On 6/14/2023 at 7:35 PM, MasterStrategist said:

Thanks, great info.

Doyle practicing already, even if not full practice, is a bit surprising.  Perhaps it was just speculation, but thought he'd be a PUP candidate.

Shakir news continues to be very positive, he has sneaky RAC ability/speed.  Definitely a different looking pass attack than LY, if he and Kincaid meet expectations.

I thought the same about Doyle, just based upon the injury and the fact that he's a Big Man and needs to build up a lot of muscle to hold the whole thing together.  I hope he's not rushing it because he knows he's a "bubble player".

For some reason, I thought Sherfield was older.  I see that you're correct.

Shakir's speed and RAC ability were never in question last season.  It was his ability to read the zone defense and choose the correct route to get open that were issues.

Sounds as though Harty has been making plays

Besides the short TD strike to Davis, Josh Allen had a short TD pass to running back James Cook and a quick out TD to receiver Deonte Harty along the goal line.

From Day 1:

Like all spring practices, the emphasis was on the pass. But Dion Dawkins looked quick leading a running play for Deonte Harty.

since it was a running play, I wondered if that was a mistake and it was to Nyheim Hines?

Speaking of HInes, anyone hear anything about him and how he's doing?  I had heard he had some drops in OTAs.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1

On 6/13/2023 at 3:02 PM, Allen2Diggs said:

Every rep I've seen of Kincaid running routes looks extremely smooth for a guy his size. 

He's insane.  You heard it from Von Miller (this is from Day 1)

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/minicamp-observations-khalil-shakir-making-push-at-wr-with-good-spring/article_0c5db51e-0a32-11ee-84bb-7fcbe2eec50c.html#tracking-source=mp-in-article

ll eyes have been on rookie tight end Dalton Kincaid during Buffalo Bills’ practices this spring.

Even defensive end Von Miller exclaimed after minicamp practice Tuesday: “This Dalton Kincaid kid is insane.”

Yet, the Bills obviously can’t count on Kincaid to do all of the work in the middle of the field this season. Kincaid had a relatively quiet first day of minicamp, catching two short passes from Josh Allen in 11-on-11 sessions.

Dezmon Patman sighting:

One of the young receivers consistently catching passes is Dezmon Patmon, a 6-foot-4, 225-pounder who was a sixth-round pick of the Colts in 2020. Patmon saw action in 10 games over three years with the Colts and had four catches. He’s a big target. Patmon had five catches Tuesday, three from Barkley and two from Kyle Allen. Kyle Allen had a sharp, 5-yard TD pass to KeeSean Johnson with Rapp in coverage.

I don't know about Day 1, but apparently our 6'4" 223 lb 5th round pick, Justin Shorter, spent Day 2 working on the sidelines with trainers.

On 6/14/2023 at 3:15 PM, Nextmanup said:

Every time I see stuff like this, I think back to training camp some years ago, and a little video clip like these showing Sammy Watkins make a move on some backup DB in the end zone and then catching a pass for a TD.

The theme of the tweet was "Look at this move made by Sammy."

This was leading up to his rookie season.  There was so much hope and excitement surrounding the guy.  

And look what that ultimately turned into!  Nothin....

It's early days.

I remember that clip! Watkins made the DB look foolish. The problem though - and why I wasn’t impressed - is that the DB in question was a camp body no one had ever heard of, with maybe a 1% chance of making the team. 

I’m not nearly a good enough “scout” to learn anything from practice highlights, so I usually don’t bother. But I do enjoy reading recaps, especially from beat reporters who watch every practice that media are allowed at. When someone stands out over the course of the whole day, that might actually mean something. Especially if it’s day after day. 

Just now, RyanC883 said:

is Shorter hurt?

That's my question.  He didn't practice today and was reported to be off to the side, working with trainers (as seen in this glimpse on the ladder).

I can't find anything about whether he practiced on Day 1.

On 6/14/2023 at 2:59 PM, Alphadawg7 said:

I remember a time where the minicamp threads were active around here and exciting.  

Now...there is a 120 page thread on about 100 different conspiracy nonsense, none of which have any remote evidence of being true, instead of people in here excited to see things going well and in a groove.  

TSW in a nut shell.  

Its a shame that a thread covering now TWO Days of Mini-Camp hasn't even filled 2 pages yet...meanwhile the people obsessed with sewing discontent into Diggs and Allen are filling pages still in the other threads covering that hysteria.  

Thanks for the updates in here Beck and Happy...its great to see Knox injury seems insignificant and to see Diggs having fun out there already with his teammates.  

You're gonna' burn yourself out getting exercised about people being more interested in a possible rift between the teams two best players than they are the possibility of Tavon Austin winning the slot receiver battle with his amazing minicamp and winning attitude.   

Oh wait, that was last year.

When things were exciting around here. :rolleyes:

I predict you flame-out of TSW well before the new stadium gets completed.   Much too sensitive and overly critical of the fans,  who btw, OBVIOUSLY had nothing to do with "sewing discontent" between Allen and Diggs.   When people start going out of their way to blame fans for things they have had absolutely nothing to do with it's a sign that they can't handle the stress of being a fan of a team with expectations.

• Eyeroll 1

39 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

You're gonna' burn yourself out getting exercised about people being more interested in a possible rift between the teams two best players than they are the possibility of Tavon Austin winning the slot receiver battle with his amazing minicamp and winning attitude.   

Oh wait, that was last year.

When things were exciting around here. :rolleyes:

I predict you flame-out of TSW well before the new stadium gets completed.   Much too sensitive and overly critical of the fans,  who btw, OBVIOUSLY had nothing to do with "sewing discontent" between Allen and Diggs.   When people start going out of their way to blame fans for things they have had absolutely nothing to do with it's a sign that they can't handle the stress of being a fan of a team with expectations.

Wake me when you post something worth reading

• Haha (+1) 2

10 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Wake me when you post something worth reading

Nah,  you definitely need the sleep.    Fatigue makes cowards,  as the saying goes.  We'll make a man out of you on TSW the right way........in between your nappy times.  Or you'll quit like a real quitty quitter.   I'm just alerting you to your irrational level of concern about what fans deem discussion worthy.   Have a snickers while you're at it.

snickers-diva.gif

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Nah,  you definitely need the sleep.    Fatigue makes cowards,  as the saying goes.  We'll make a man out of you on TSW the right way........in between your nappy times.  Or you'll quit like a real quitty quitter.   I'm just alerting you to your irrational level of concern about what fans deem discussion worthy.   Have a snickers while you're at it.

snickers-diva.gif

I wanted to like this...I had hoped it was gonna be funny or witty.  But it was just lame and boring.

#Dissapointed

4 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I wanted to like this...I had hoped it was gonna be funny or witty.  But it was just lame and boring.

#Dissapointed

Well, maybe just substitute your lack of amusement for me making fun of your weakness for the fact that Diggs absence from mandatory OTA's was the top national sports story less than 24 hours after the NBA champion was crowned.    Literally.    It wasn't "But first.......the NBA has a new champion" it was "But first.......trouble in Buffalo....".  Acting like Bills fans were being absurd for discussing the topic........let alone CREATING the drama........was a massive leap into bitchyness by our disappointed diva. 

#Alphadiva

On 6/16/2023 at 1:07 PM, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

@Beck Water Thanks for starting this thread.  As an out of towner I really appreciate the videos and a close up look at the practices.

Any word on Harty ?  I didn't see much mention of him.

It sounded like Harty was making some good plays.  @Happydays did a great job summarizing a couple of Athletic articles which mentioned him specifically.

Look upthread.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.