Ed Oliver big extension

HappyDays

On 6/5/2023 at 3:40 AM, newcam2012 said:

Hopkins played well after serving his suspension. He played on a poor team with a sub par QB passer. Sure he's getting older but I believe Hopkins is still elite. Remember, his skill set isn't reliant on speed. He's still an elite route runner with size and fantastic hands. Think Larry Fitzgerald...

Is there risk? Of course but so was Von. I didn't mind the mindset of why Beane acquired Von. I wouldn't mind aggressively going after Hopkins. I believe his addition would take the Bills O to another level. There is nothing remotely close to Hopkins on the current roster.

Beane has clearly emphasized building up the offense and giving Allen weapons and protection. Why stop now? 

Get it done Beane!

I guess the biggest issue in my mind is how would it impact Diggs and his mindset.  That seems to be precarious enough as it is.  

We'll see, it doesn't appear that the Oliver signing was for that purpose.  Picking up Floyd was OK but I question where he plays, because he doesn't fill an empty role, he's seemingly yet another player, behind Miller.  That's assuming he plays DE.  He's played OLB in a 3-4, we play a 4-3.  ... or 5-2 or whatever it is.  We're still without a MLB.  

On 6/5/2023 at 6:07 AM, John from Riverside said:

I am the last person that should be correcting anybody else in their grammar, but what exactly is congenital?

LMAO 

Great catch.  I meant to type congenial.  That's hilarious!  Thanks for pointing it out.  ROFLMAO, you have me going here.  

On 6/5/2023 at 6:17 AM, dollars 2 donuts said:

Congenital? Congenial maybe? 🙂

ROFLMAO  

I'm dyin' over here.  JfR just pointed that out.  LOL  

Indeed!!

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

ROFLMAO  

I'm dyin' over here.  JfR just pointed that out.  LOL  

Indeed!!

Just to be clear because the quote doesn't show my response unless you click it, I said, "cogent,".

Incase I die tomorrow the last thing I want in the world is to be misconstrued on TSW.

😂

• Haha (+1) 1

On 6/5/2023 at 11:51 AM, ColoradoBills said:

Take a look at who the Chiefs have locked up at DT for next season.  You probably won't.  Too many fans are myopic about this team and

don't realize that most of the criticism they fantasize about happen to other teams all the time.

Who?  Chris Jones?   

You're not comparing Chris Jones at a mere $3M more per season, to Oliver, are you?  

3 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Just to be clear because the quote doesn't show my response unless you click it, I said, "cogent,".

Incase I die tomorrow the last thing I want in the world is to be misconstrued on TSW.

😂

Indeed!!  I'm still rollin' over here.  I literally have tears in my eyes.  

This place is a real hoot sometimes, and if you can't laugh at yourself ...  

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Indeed!!  I'm still rollin' over here.  I literally have tears in my eyes.  

This place is a real hoot sometimes, and if you can't laugh at yourself ...  

I laugh at myself all the time, PB...

...usually followed by tears and lying in a fetal position under my desk.

I tell my co-workers I am getting some crunches in and the cries they hear are just good old hard work.  

Sometimes they bring me a donut, sometimes they don't, so there's that. 

I'm still here because "I keep to myself and do competent work."

Oh, if I could only be back on the motocross circuit again...this damn knee!

Well, that's it.  Have a good one.

• Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, dollars 2 donuts said:

I laugh at myself all the time, PB...

...usually followed by tears and lying in a fetal position under my desk.

I tell my co-workers I am getting some crunches in and the cries they hear are just good old hard work.  

Sometimes they bring me a donut, sometimes they don't, so there's that. 

I'm still here because "I keep to myself and do competent work."

Oh, if I could only be back on the motocross circuit again...this damn knee!

Well, that's it.  Have a good one.

Did you use to do professional MX?  

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, dollars 2 donuts said:

No PB, unfortunately I made up almost all of what I wrote.  

It makes me sound more interesting.

Ya never know.  :) 

I figured the work part was made up.  LOL  

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PBF81 said:

Ya never know.  :) 

I figured the work part was made up.  LOL  

PB, actually my brother-in-law competed competitively on four wheelers  before I knew him, and he did injury his knee before giving it up.  So there was some truth. Just not mine!

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Brilliant job by Beane... basically it's a 2 year $14.45 million dollar contract with the Bills able to save $16.35 million plus by cutting him after the 2025 season with under $6 million dead cap. Essentially Beane got him for 2 years at an Average of $7.225 on the cap versus 1 year at $10 million this year plus whatever it would have been to extend him after(or let him walk).

Really Bills have an out after the 2024 season if they want it, they would save a little under $12 million on the cap and take a $8.85 million dead cap hit.

Reduced his cap hit to $5 million this year and he got a $14.75 million signing bonus with $24.5 million guaranteed in total, all by 2024.

Essentially Beane is giving him 2 years to show he can take his game to the next level and at that point will likely restructure it again if he does or cut him if he doesn't. No way he sees the 3rd year at a $20.75 cap hit.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/contract-details-ed-oliver-extension-142925943.html

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/ed-oliver-29044/

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

37 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Capologist on OBD, right now, doesn't agree with extension with Oliver. Would've let him play out his contract 

So he doesn't like the Bills getting him for 2 years at cap hits less than what he would have been this year?

I think it was brilliant, and the Bills have an out or restructure ability after 2 years in place.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

So he doesn't like the Bills getting him for 2 years at cap hits less than what he would have been this year?

I think it was brilliant, and the Bills have an out or restructure ability after 2 years in place.

I didn't want to read through all 52 pages to see if it had been said before, but basically this.  I didn't like the numbers when I first saw them, after seeing the contract details, IMO great deal for both sides, especially the Bills.  

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Adam727 said:

I didn't want to read through all 52 pages to see if it had been said before, but basically this.  I didn't like the numbers when I first saw them, after seeing the contract details, IMO great deal for both sides, especially the Bills.  

This is the point that many of us missed despite knowing the way NFL contracts work, that even the 45 million guaranteed is not as bad as it looks. 

14 hours ago, Orlando Tim said:

This is the point that many of us missed despite knowing the way NFL contracts work, that even the 45 million guaranteed is not as bad as it looks. 

Only 24.5 million is actually guaranteed.

5 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Only 24.5 million is actually guaranteed.

Which is my point, that the headline looks far worse than the actual contract. The first headline said 45 guaranteed, so I don't where difference is but contract looks much better now than day it happened 

30 minutes ago, Orlando Tim said:

Which is my point, that the headline looks far worse than the actual contract. The first headline said 45 guaranteed, so I don't where difference is but contract looks much better now than day it happened 

It will be $45m as long as they don't cut bait after 2023. 

Sorry... will be almost $40m guaranteed if they don't cut bait after 2023. The final $5.5m guarantees at the start of the league year in 2025.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Agree 1

25 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

It will be $45m as long as they don't cut bait after 2023. 

Sorry... will be almost $40m guaranteed if they don't cut bait after 2023. The final $5.5m guarantees at the start of the league year in 2025.

I am not really interested in the guaranteed dollars as much as I am in the cap hits each year and the dead cap hit.

Guaranteed for what? Injury or full? Most of the time those are guaranteed for injury after the main signing bonus.

Either way, after 2024, Bills have until 3/17 before any guarantees for the 2025 season kick in and they can cut him for an 8.8 million dead cap hit to save almost 12 million(or designate it post 6/1 to break it into 2 years and save almost 18 million), or restructure. IMO there is zero chance he sees that 2025 contract as is with a nearly $21 million cap hit.

35 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

I am not really interested in the guaranteed dollars as much as I am in the cap hits each year and the dead cap hit.

Guaranteed for what? Injury or full? Most of the time those are guaranteed for injury after the main signing bonus.

Either way, after 2024, Bills have until 3/17 before any guarantees for the 2025 season kick in and they can cut him for an 8.8 million dead cap hit to save almost 12 million(or designate it post 6/1 to break it into 2 years and save almost 18 million), or restructure. IMO there is zero chance he sees that 2025 contract as is with a nearly $21 million cap hit.

I wouldn't say zero chance. But he'd need to have broken out fully into a bona fide elite pass rushing DT. 

In terms of the 2024 guarantees his salary ($2.5m) is guaranteed and $5.5m of the option bonus is an automatic guarantee. Then the next $7m guarantees on the first waiver day. But they are all full guarantees not injury guarantees as far as I can see. It is a very clever incremental contract by the Bills. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I wouldn't say zero chance. But he'd need to have broken out fully into a bona fide elite pass rushing DT. 

In terms of the 2024 guarantees his salary ($2.5m) is guaranteed and $5.5m of the option bonus is an automatic guarantee. Then the next $7m guarantees on the first waiver day. But they are all full guarantees not injury guarantees as far as I can see. It is a very clever incremental contract by the Bills. 

I am sure Beane delegates the actual structure of the contracts to someone and whoever that someone is that comes up with this stuff is worth whatever he wants in terms of compensation in the front office.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.