Deputy Gangs?

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/deputy-gangs-cancer-los-angeles-county-sheriffs-department-scathing-re-rcna73367

The report by the Civilian Oversight Commission condemned the groups, whose members engage in “egregious conduct” like using excessive force and threatening colleagues, as a “cancer” that must be banned immediately. It also accused the union that represents the sheriff's deputies of failing to stop the gangs and protecting alleged members.

The report said that although the groups may have started decades ago with "benign intentions," they have evolved into deputy gangs "whose members not only use gang-like symbols but engage in gang-type and criminal behavior directed against the public and other Department members," the report stated.

"They create rituals that valorize violence, such as recording all deputy involved shootings in an official book," the report continued, "celebrating with 'shooting parties,' and authorizing deputies who have shot a community member to add embellishments to their common gang tattoos."

12 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/deputy-gangs-cancer-los-angeles-county-sheriffs-department-scathing-re-rcna73367

The report by the Civilian Oversight Commission condemned the groups, whose members engage in “egregious conduct” like using excessive force and threatening colleagues, as a “cancer” that must be banned immediately. It also accused the union that represents the sheriff's deputies of failing to stop the gangs and protecting alleged members.

The report said that although the groups may have started decades ago with "benign intentions," they have evolved into deputy gangs "whose members not only use gang-like symbols but engage in gang-type and criminal behavior directed against the public and other Department members," the report stated.

"They create rituals that valorize violence, such as recording all deputy involved shootings in an official book," the report continued, "celebrating with 'shooting parties,' and authorizing deputies who have shot a community member to add embellishments to their common gang tattoos."

If you're open for a book recommendation, give Blue Heaven by CJ Box a read.

• Thank you (+1) 1

There was a lot of talk from locals in the Tyre Nichols death that the Scorpion Unit they had there was basically functioning as a gang in the community. 

Some member from that unit were involved in his death and the unit was then disbanded. 

• Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, Pokebball said:

If you're open for a book recommendation, give Blue Heaven by CJ Box a read.

Might be something interesting to look at 

Blue Heaven is the break-out novel from C. J. Box, the award-winning, #1 New York Times bestselling author of the Joe Pickett series.

A twelve-year-old girl and her younger brother are on the run in the Idaho woods, pursued by four men they have just watched commit murder―four men who know exactly who William and Annie are. And where their mother lives.

Retired policemen from Los Angeles, the killers easily persuade the local sheriff to let them lead the search for the missing children. Now there's nowhere left for William and Annie to hide…and no one they can trust. Until they meet Jess Rawlins.

Rawlins, an old-school rancher, knows trouble when he sees it. He is only one against four men who will stop at nothing to silence their witnesses. But in this thrilling mystery novel from C.J. Box, these ex-cops don't know just how far Rawlins will go to protect William and Annie…and see that justice is done.

Blue Heaven is the winner of the 2009 Edgar Award for Best Novel.

Those types of police type gangs out there wouldn't really surprise me the entire state is filled with some very sensitive people & police are more highly scrutinized than any other liberal city in the US couple that with the defund the police moment & i would imagine this is the type of thing that will happen .

It wouldn't surprise me if these types of groups would be something that spreads to other cities given those in power like the DA in NYC that has proven to have his own thoughts on who & how violent criminals should be prosecuted instead of going by the laws on the books .

Eventually in Chicago, NY, & other places people will get tired of the so called leaders not getting tough on crime and take things into their own hands in some kind of way to feel they can be safe even if it isn't following the law because it gets pushed aside by the leaders so why can't they do as they do ?

This story was on the local news out here in Los Angeles and was pretty poorly explained. I’m not sure that I understand it still. This could be a bunch of rogue officers ‘ganging’ up on the citizenry…or it could simply be a brotherhood of officers who feel led to  show they have each other’s backs in a really tough job. Seems to me if it’s the former, putting a tattoo on your arm is a really bad way to hide illegal activities. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

Seems to me if it’s the former, putting a tattoo on your arm is a really bad way to hide illegal activities. 

Gang members do it all the time.

But what does LA County mean by "deputy gangs?" I feel like nobody has explained this. Is there organized criminal activity involved? Or conspiracies to conceal work-related malfeasance? Membership in a criminal gang is one of the automatic disqualifiers for sworn positions in every state in the union.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

This story was on the local news out here in Los Angeles and was pretty poorly explained. I’m not sure that I understand it still. This could be a bunch of rogue officers ‘ganging’ up on the citizenry…or it could simply be a brotherhood of officers who feel led to  show they have each other’s backs in a really tough job. Seems to me if it’s the former, putting a tattoo on your arm is a really bad way to hide illegal activities. 

A lesson here is if you're going to form a secret society or rogue gang then be discreet and smart enough to keep the identity of your members hidden from the public and inattentive officials.  If this is for real, then why not just wear tie shirts in big block letters saying "Look at me.  I'm a member of a secret police gang group".   

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, LeviF said:

Gang members do it all the time.

But what does LA County mean by "deputy gangs?" I feel like nobody has explained this. Is there organized criminal activity involved? Or conspiracies to conceal work-related malfeasance? Membership in a criminal gang is one of the automatic disqualifiers for sworn positions in every state in the union.

Exactly 

But criminal gangs are….oh yeah….criminals. 

I've worked with law enforcement officers at all levels - federal, state, big city PDs, local sheriff's deputies. My admittedly anecdotal impressions:

- federal are the best trained, best compensated, most professional, although typically the most bureaucratic/risk-averse.

- state law enforcement agencies (think highway patrol, state investigative agencies) are also excellent, and the second-best compensated.

- local PDs are the most variable. The good ones are really good and more proactive in stopping crime rather than trying to set up big prosecutions for crimes that have already been committed. They also have a huge problem with recruitment and retention. Yes, the incessant second-guessing of anything that goes wrong doesn't help. These forces are also seriously underpaid. Who would stick around for a poorly compensated, dangerous job that will leave you exposed to being charged yourself for a mistake in judgement? (I'm not talking about the sadistic Derek Chauvin types; I'm talking about the ones in arguable cases where reasonable minds can disagree about whether force/arrest was necessary.) A disturbing trend: cops seeing themselves as just another (state-authorized) gang battling to get an upper hand against other criminal gangs. The ones who join law enforcement biker "associations," etc. (again, I'm not talking about recreational bike clubs; I'm talking about the ones who adopt that look - including tats, etc - and culture of outlaw gangs and inject themselves into that culture). When you make taking/keeping a job as a cop undesirable for a lot of ordinary public servants, what your left with isn't very appealing. People who aren't in it to serve and protect as much as to antagonize and show off.

- local sheriff's deputies, particularly in non-urban areas? Well, that recruitment/retention thing means you often have a pretty embarrassing or even dangerous level of incompetence. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I've worked with law enforcement officers at all levels - federal, state, big city PDs, local sheriff's deputies. My admittedly anecdotal impressions:

- federal are the best trained, best compensated, most professional, although typically the most bureaucratic/risk-averse.

- state law enforcement agencies (think highway patrol, state investigative agencies) are also excellent, and the second-best compensated.

- local PDs are the most variable. The good ones are really good and more proactive in stopping crime rather than trying to set up big prosecutions for crimes that have already been committed. They also have a huge problem with recruitment and retention. Yes, the incessant second-guessing of anything that goes wrong doesn't help. These forces are also seriously underpaid. Who would stick around for a poorly compensated, dangerous job that will leave you exposed to being charged yourself for a mistake in judgement? (I'm not talking about the sadistic Derek Chauvin types; I'm talking about the ones in arguable cases where reasonable minds can disagree about whether force/arrest was necessary.) A disturbing trend: cops seeing themselves as just another (state-authorized) gang battling to get an upper hand against other criminal gangs. The ones who join law enforcement biker "associations," etc. (again, I'm not talking about recreational bike clubs; I'm talking about the ones who adopt that look - including tats, etc - and culture of outlaw gangs and inject themselves into that culture). When you make taking/keeping a job as a cop undesirable for a lot of ordinary public servants, what your left with isn't very appealing. People who aren't in it to serve and protect as much as to antagonize and show off.

- local sheriff's deputies, particularly in non-urban areas? Well, that recruitment/retention thing means you often have a pretty embarrassing or even dangerous level of incompetence. 

Hiring standards are down across the board. Including at the federal level. Gotten to the point where the USSS is doing yearlong direct hire authority postings. It's a ***** job which is part of it but the pool has dried up and with mandatory retirement at 57 they've been bleeding personnel for a while.

As for locals and state...pay cops $15/hr you're going to get $15/hr cops.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, Tiberius said:

Might be something interesting to look at 

Blue Heaven is the break-out novel from C. J. Box, the award-winning, #1 New York Times bestselling author of the Joe Pickett series.

A twelve-year-old girl and her younger brother are on the run in the Idaho woods, pursued by four men they have just watched commit murder―four men who know exactly who William and Annie are. And where their mother lives.

Retired policemen from Los Angeles, the killers easily persuade the local sheriff to let them lead the search for the missing children. Now there's nowhere left for William and Annie to hide…and no one they can trust. Until they meet Jess Rawlins.

Rawlins, an old-school rancher, knows trouble when he sees it. He is only one against four men who will stop at nothing to silence their witnesses. But in this thrilling mystery novel from C.J. Box, these ex-cops don't know just how far Rawlins will go to protect William and Annie…and see that justice is done.

Blue Heaven is the winner of the 2009 Edgar Award for Best Novel.

This is the Box book that got to read a bunch of his other books. I thought it was well done and interesting.