Sophia the Fierce

Guys:

Im on my phone and not able

to attach the link, but just toggle to the main page and read the “Sophia the Fierce” article in the BN.  If you don’t shed a tear, you’re dead or have no heart.

Im so sorry for the Benitende family loss for such a brave little girl.  I couldn’t imagine losing my daughter at 9.  I’m going to donate to this fund for the family as it’s a nice cause.  Make up you’re own minds, but read the article and thanks to Elam for making the end of a life so little a bit more bright in her last year.

If we are really family “Mafia” I hope the locals can show some support as there must be some type of memorial for this little angel.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Thanks for posting MGK.  I usually don't bother to click on links to Buffalo News articles as I don't have a paid subscription but am glad I decided to try this time.  What a touching story about Elam's friendship with such a brave little girl.  RIP Sophia.

• Like (+1) 3

I can't imagine the pain she went through. Bone cancer is incredibly painful, and the treatments are difficult. Trust me. Fierce is right. Glad she developed a friendship with Elam.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, TheBrownBear said:

Thanks for sharing.  Very sad (and sweet) story.  My heart breaks for her family.  I was the same age as Sophia when I was diagnosed with Ewing's.  I was obviously very fortunate, but I had friends like Sophia who weren't as lucky.  :( 

BB, thank you for sharing and you’re a good guy so I’m so glad you made it.

I post, but if you guys haven’t noticed I don’t initiate a lot of threads.  I’ll leave that to others.  Most are good guys here some a little more passionate than others, but this is one topic that needed to be discussed.  I assumed several skate past the BN articles as they place that charge wheras Syracuse,

Rochester, and Toronto do not.  It’s not a cut, just I haven’t lived in Buffalo since 91, so I don’t feel the need to read the rest of the paper.

I appreciate the well wishes.  At the end of the day, we’re all family, and whether it’s a donation, showing up for a minute to the tribute, or just a kind post is the right thing to do.

If anyone possibly knows the Benitende family, please when it’s right, let them know the Mafia is thinking of them.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I'm not crying, you're crying!

41 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

Thanks for sharing.  Very sad (and sweet) story.  My heart breaks for her family.  I was the same age as Sophia when I was diagnosed with Ewing's.  I was obviously very fortunate, but I had friends like Sophia who weren't as lucky.  :( 

My kid played CYC ball.  One of her teammates was obviously in pain in her hips during their final game.  Her mom said the doctor said it was "growing pains".  Well it wasn't "growing pains", it was Ewings and it was in her hip and inoperable by the time they found it.  She has a memorial in that church now.

If you have health and your kids have health, you have everything.  Everything.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

48 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I'm not crying, you're crying!

My kid played CYC ball.  One of her teammates was obviously in pain in her hips during their final game.  Her mom said the doctor said it was "growing pains".  Well it wasn't "growing pains", it was Ewings and it was in her hip and inoperable by the time they found it.  She has a memorial in that church now.

If you have health and your kids have health, you have everything.  Everything.

Yes.  I got the "growing pains" run around for nearly six months before my GP finally referred me to an orthopedic surgeon for a biopsy.  I couldn't sleep at night or sit still at school because of the pain.  By that time I had a baseball sized tumor in my left leg.  We absolutely have to be advocates for our children when it comes to their medical care.  

I'm so sorry to hear of that family's loss.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

Yes.  I got the "growing pains" run around for nearly six months before my GP finally referred me to an orthopedic surgeon for a biopsy.  I couldn't sleep at night or sit still at school because of the pain.  By that time I had a baseball sized tumor in my left leg.  We absolutely have to be advocates for our children when it comes to their medical care.  

I'm so sorry to hear of that family's loss.

Absolutely, and not just our children's medical care but our family's as well!

• Like (+1) 3

17 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

It’s a sad, sad story. They are close family friends. I’m actually heading to the funeral in about an hour. Kaiir spent the entire wake by her side yesterday. He has been a godsend to the family. 🙏🏼🙏🏼

Wow 

burying a child must be the toughest thing to ever do …. No matter how kaiir is as a football player…. (Which I’m extremely confident he will be great)

he is an even better person which means everything 

• Like (+1) 4

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.