Favorite Femme Fatale movies

Another Fan

I like those late 80s/early 90s sort of erotic thrillers.  The movie didn’t do very well but I thought/think Madonna in Body of Evidence was the hottest thing ever.  Especially growing up.  I’m not a big Nicole Kidman fan but she was very beautiful/sultry/evil in To Die For.  Easily my favorite role she was ever in.

So those 2 films for me.  

21 hours ago, DrW said:

Although she is not really trying to seduce anybody in this movie, I nominate Marlene Dietrich in "Witness for the Prosecution" (1957).

That's a great movie with many terrific performances: Charles Laughton and Elsa Lancaster in addition to Dietrich in particular. It's an adaptation of an Agatha Christie play. Femme fatale usually is an element in the noir genre, which I generally dislike. Two of the more classic roles are Lana Turner in The Postman Always rings Twice and Jane Greer in Out of the Past.

I very much like Mary Astor who is deliciously bad in The Maltese Falcon. The modern films many here reference seem to me lacking. When classic Hollywood had to use indirection because of the Hays Code, it often created much more interesting characters.

Edited by Dr. Who
  • Like (+1) 1

On 5/9/2023 at 9:49 AM, WhoTom said:

I'm not sure if it qualifies as a pure femme fatal movie, but Into the Night with Jeff Goldblum and Michelle Pfeiffer at least crosses into that territory.

I don’t care what the question is, Michelle Pfeiffer qualifies. 😋

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

That's a great movie with many terrific performances: Charles Laughton and Elsa Lancaster in addition to Dietrich in particular. It's an adaptation of an Agatha Christie play. Femme fatale usually is an element in the noir genre, which I generally dislike. Two of the more classic roles are Lana Turner in The Postman Always rings Twice and Jane Greer in Out of the Past.

I do not want to side-track this thread, but your post reminded me of the brilliance of Charles Laughton. While his accomplishments as actor are well-known, he also worked as director in theater, and in a single movie, "The Night of the Hunter", starring Robert Mitchum and featuring silent movie star Lilian Gish. It is one of the most imaginative movies I have ever seen (especially the kids' boat ride pursued by the Mitchum character), and it is a shame that Laughton did not direct any more movies because of bad contemporary reception the movie received.

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, DrW said:

I do not want to side-track this thread, but your post reminded me of the brilliance of Charles Laughton. While his accomplishments as actor are well-known, he also worked as director in theater, and in a single movie, "The Night of the Hunter", starring Robert Mitchum and featuring silent movie star Lilian Gish. It is one of the most imaginative movies I have ever seen (especially the kids' boat ride pursued by the Mitchum character), and it is a shame that Laughton did not direct any more movies because of bad contemporary reception the movie received.

We may have similar tastes in movies. The Night of the Hunter is a unique film. Laughton synthesized many different elements. I write experimental fiction that tries to do similar things. It's hard to find an audience, but critical reception for Laughton's singular film has increased over the years. Below is a fine article that explains the allure and quality of the work.

https://www.slashfilm.com/1130769/the-night-of-the-hunter-ending-explained-the-age-old-battle-between-love-and-hate/

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.