RD 1, Pick 25: TE Dalton Kincaid, Utah

SDS

41 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

TE position is rapidly evolving, the day of the Ditkas, Shockeys are long gone, they are rapidly morphing into TE/WRs so historical precedence, imo, is not relevant.  Kincaid can have a huge impact as the TE/WR which in fact he will be.

Not that I disagree, but the question still remains the same.  

36 minutes ago, NewEra said:

“We” don’t have to do anything.  Our expectations will have zero impact on reality. 

I see an advanced skill set that should thrive playing with Josh Allen. 

Our franchises history of rookie TE performances has nothing to do with Dalton Kincaid or his future.  When was the last time I TE was drafted to become our Wr2/3?  This is different.  

Since 1975 we’ve drafted 2 tight ends in the first 2 rounds (Lonnie Johnson and Tony Hunter).  It’s been the position we’ve neglected more than any other.  Now, we drafted one to become our slot receiver. 75> of the time and tight end 25%.  

I don’t think he’ll reach his potential this year but his talent will be flashing every week and the entire fan base will be giddy about his future.  

again…. My expectations and predictions are just that.  Mine.  And I can do what I please with them while being assured that they w won’t have any impact on reality. 

Sherfield has to be in there.  He was the #1 rated run blocker out of WRs last year iirc

NFL historical precedents are irrelevant?  I didn’t say the Bills, I said the NFL.  

It’s a fair question which you failed to answer.  I 10000% hope he is the exception, but I honestly can’t think of a single TE in the modern day NFL that was a game changer in season #1.  Pitts had over 1000 yards his rookie year, but played on an awful team so it’s hard to establish him as a game changer.  Only other 1000 yard rookie TE was Ditka back in the 70’s.  Again, I hope I’m wrong and Kincaid breaks all the TE rookie records, but history isn’t on our side for immediate dividends.  

• Agree 1

21 minutes ago, NewEra said:

“We” don’t have to do anything.  Our expectations will have zero impact on reality. 

I see an advanced skill set that should thrive playing with Josh Allen. 

I don’t think he’ll reach his potential this year but his talent will be flashing every week and the entire fan base will be giddy about his future.  

again…. My expectations and predictions are just that.  Mine.  And I can do what I please with them while being assured that they w won’t have any impact on reality. 

Expectations that aren't met have consequences.  Just look at the people here who want McDemott fired or have Dorsey on the hot seat, both did well but they didn't live up to the expectations of some.

When you say "I don't think he'll reach his potential this year", it kind of screams you're in some bizarro world - of course Kincaid won't - he's a rookie TE getting his first look at NFL defenders.  And your continuation of the statement with "but his talent will be flashing every week" assumes he will be out there week 1, which is what many of us hope for, but is by no means guaranteed.

The problem with your unrealistic expectations is the aftermath when they aren't realized.  The most likely result will be your joining the dump Dorsey brigade.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Einstein's Dog said:

Expectations that aren't met have consequences.  Just look at the people here who want McDemott fired or have Dorsey on the hot seat, both did well but they didn't live up to the expectations of some.

When you say "I don't think he'll reach his potential this year", it kind of screams you're in some bizarro world - of course Kincaid won't - he's a rookie TE getting his first look at NFL defenders.  And your continuation of the statement with "but his talent will be flashing every week" assumes he will be out there week 1, which is what many of us hope for, but is by no means guaranteed.

The problem with your unrealistic expectations is the aftermath when they aren't realized.  The most likely result will be your joining the dump Dorsey brigade.

I promise you, there will be no consequence if Kincaid doesn’t reach my expectations.  

The stuff you speak of has an impact on message board talk and social media.  I don’t believe it has any impact on anything related to the play on the field and decision made by Pegula, Beane and McDermott.  “In reality”, that’s all that matters.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, TheWeatherMan said:

Not that I disagree, but the question still remains the same.  

I thought new Era answered the question.  You can take it two ways.  1) Do we as fans need to, no our excitations are totally irrelevant or 2) are they realistic expectations, which is likely your real sentiment. Probably  not, any rookie performance is totally unpredictable.

• Vomit 1

3 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

I thought new Era answered the question.  You can take it two ways.  1) Do we as fans need to, no our excitations are totally irrelevant or 2) are they realistic expectations, which is likely your real sentiment. Probably  not, any rookie performance is totally unpredictable.

Both you and NewEra took a rather silly rhetorical approach to my reply/question.  Of course, in the grand scheme of things there has never been a single post on this message board that is truly relevant in the eyes of OBD management.  You would think this would go without saying.  

• Eyeroll 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, TheWeatherMan said:

Sure hope so, but in reality we need to curb expectations out of the gate.  

7 hours ago, TheWeatherMan said:

Both you and NewEra took a rather silly rhetorical approach to my reply/question.  Of course, in the grand scheme of things there has never been a single post on this message board that is truly relevant in the eyes of OBD management.  You would think this would go without saying.  

Again…….why “in reality” do we need to temper expectations?  Why?  You made the comment.  Please explain why we NEED to do this?  

it’s a message board and I’m clearly just having fun drinking all the koolaid about this Kincaid kid.   On record saying that I hope he was our pick prior to drafting him.  I didn’t think we had a chance to get him.  I had him as a top 10 player in this draft.  We got him.  I’m pumped.  

And you’re just being a trolling sap per usual. Saying stupid things like we need to temper expectations….. when no, actually we don’t have to.  You just feel compelled to show me love every time you read my posts.  

Edited by NewEra
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 5/17/2023 at 4:10 PM, HappyDays said:

Beane has said Allen specifically told him he liked Kincaid. When Beane texted Allen right before making the pick to let him know he was taking Kincaid, Allen got so excited he blew up Beane's phone. So yes Allen loved the pick. This makes me especially excited about Kincaid because it shows that Allen will specifically look to throw him the ball.

I have said elsewhere I believe Kincaid will immediately take over Beasley's role in this offense and will be fully up to speed by week 1 (he played in a pro offense at Utah). Allen loved using Beasley as his safety valve until his talent fell off a cliff, so much so that he walked into Beane's office and asked him to bring Beasley out of retirement just to give him somebody functional in that role last year. I'm sure he is very excited to have that type of player back in his offense after spending most of 2022 without it.

This is amazing 

Should be the best offense we had in the Allen Era which is a scary thought for opposing defenses 

4 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

Every day I still can’t believe this guy is a Buffalo Bill…

Is this “I am so effin’ happy about this pick!!”

Or is it “What the f*ck were they thinking!?!”

Edited by Gugny
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Is this “I am so effin’ happy about this pick!!”

Or is it “What the f*ck were they thinking!?!”

Lol- he was one of 4 players that I really wanted with our first pick to get me excited about the upcoming season…👍

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

Lol- he was one of 4 players that I really wanted with our first pick to get me excited about the upcoming season…👍

Just make sure that you temper your expectations…… or else!!!

• Haha (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

I’ve always been kind of a homer with our first round picks. I’ve always been able to convince myself that they were the right picks. 

The Kincaid pick felt great to me right when it happened. No self-convincing necessary. 

13 hours ago, NewEra said:

And you’re just being a trolling sap per usual. Saying stupid things like we need to temper expectations….. when no, actually we don’t have to.  You just feel compelled to show me love every time you read my posts.  

Keep insulting members through your personal attacks.  Maybe one day a moderator will hold you accountable and to the same standards of the other TBD MB members.  

Edited by TheWeatherMan
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1

21 minutes ago, TheWeatherMan said:

You’re doing a great job proving @PrimeTime101 correct.  Keep insulting members through your personal attacks.  Maybe one day a moderator will hold you accountable and to the same standards of the other TBD MB members.  

and yet again- you fail answer the question I asked.  Why do WE (as fans) NEED to temper our expectations?  What will happen if they don’t live up to my expectations?   

maybe one day lol.  I’ve been warned and put in timeout my fair share.  

maybe they see the truth in what I’m saying.  

Your weak baiting techniques are powerless against my power.  Back to ignore you go.  

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

I’ve always been kind of a homer with our first round picks. I’ve always been able to convince myself that they were the right picks. 

The Kincaid pick felt great to me right when it happened. No self-convincing necessary. 

I am guilty of the same phenomenon but found the Aaron Maybin pick as the exception to the rule.  This time I am really sold/sucked in on Kincaid

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

I am guilty of the same phenomenon but found the Aaron Maybin pick as the exception to the rule.  This time I am really sold/sucked in on Kincaid

Donte was the toughest pill to swallow with Ngata sitting there waving

• Agree 2

7 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Donte was the toughest pill to swallow with Ngata sitting there waving

Forget about that but at least Donte had a pretty successful NFL career.   Wasn't Donte's specialty the "back tackle"

where he would turn his back to the runner and knock him down on the ground with his back?   Maybin was one of our biggest busts (for a first rounder) of all time, somehow the clown HC Rex Ryan managed to get a few sacks out of Maybin with the Jets..  

5 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Forget about that but at least Donte had a pretty successful NFL career.   Wasn't Donte's specialty the "back tackle"

where he would turn his back to the runner and knock him down on the ground with his back?   Maybin was one of our biggest busts (for a first rounder) of all time, somehow the clown HC Rex Ryan managed to get a few sacks out of Maybin with the Jets..  

I remember Maybin as having quite the stellar career…could you imagine if we drafted that super bust Orakpo ahead of him like everyone wanted 🤦.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.